Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: FYI: Ever wonder how well a 12V ATV winch would work to crank up tower?  (Read 2183 times)
NV2A

Ignore
« on: September 25, 2010, 10:09:47 AM »

I tried it with not much luck.  Thought I might save someone else the effort.

I tried both the Harbor Freight Remote operated 12V 3000 pound ATV type winch and it was junk.  It intentionally pulses the motor to keep the duty cycle down so it won't over heat.  You certainly don't want to be stopping and starting (jerking) your tower up unless you want to invite a cable failure.  Forces are magnified when you stop and start.

I then tried the Harbor Freight 2000 pound 12V ATV type winch ($50.00)  which is actually a much better made winch for lawn tractors and boat trailers but it was really working hard to raise my tower so I am abandoning it.

I will go back to my homemade tower winch made from a farm elevator worm drive speed reducer at 40:1 ratio.  I had it on a TriX 51w with 1/2hp motor and it worked fine.  Now that I have a TriX LM354 I will use the same setup only with a 1 HP motor for some reserve.  Also means I'll be using AC.  Tower operation with 12V DC appealed to me as it rains lightening around the QTH.

I don't check here often so if you have any pressing questions it's NV2A AT NV2A.COM and I'll do what I can to help you.

Ray........
WF7BSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2012, 05:44:56 PM »

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but along the same topic:  What about the winches that are sold to be mounted on the front of a vehicle...I have a Jeep and was considering a winch for it, in case I get myself stuck while out in the countryside...if I have a winch strong enough to pull my Jeep out of a ditch would a winch like that work to raise/lower a ham tower? Could park the vehicle close to the base of the tower when it needs to be lowered/raised?  Once the antenna is up, unless something unplanned happens I would think it would only need to be raised/lowered once or twice per year for a check-up/maintenance?  (But I've only been licensed since August, so probably don't know what I'm talking about).

Thank you for your time and assistance;
Raymond - WF7BSR
G0VKT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 06:35:14 AM »

Yes, the bigger winches can be used.

http://www.dborc.co.uk/goodwinch/

This is a company in England. David Bowyer is well respected in the industry.
He can supply the winches and necessary fixings. I am sure there must be similar companies in the U.S.
NH7O

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2012, 09:57:48 AM »

I use a 12V winch made by Warn that seems to be pretty good. I use it to raise and lower my well, which involves pulling 450' of steel pipe out of the hole. If it can do that, raising a tower is well within its range.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: