Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Where did he go???  (Read 5301 times)
KE7WAV

Ignore
« on: September 27, 2010, 07:09:52 AM »

Last night I was calling CQ on 40M around 7120.  my first few calls were sent around 10wpm then I slowed down to 5wpm just to see if maybe that would help me land a QSO.  After my second slow call I heard an op come back at about 7-8wpm.  So I copied down his call and went back to my straight key and responded at the same speed I had just been receiving from the other op, whose call I shall leave out.  "------- DE KE7WAV GE OM TU HW R U?"........silence. 
Where did he go?  Did his rig go down?  Did he break his key?  Did the band drop out?  Did my antenna break?
A few quick looks to make sure my end was working and I sent again, "------- de KE7WAV"  .......silence.
Maybe he was sending a little faster than he could copy?
So at 5wpm, "------- de KE7WAV"........Gone.
I sat and listened to the low level white noise and wondered where did he go?
I checked his call sign online and discovered he had only been licensed about a month.  maybe it was just the fear of, "Wow he answered me what should I do?"  Or maybe he was sending too fast and my response at the same spped scared him away?

Anyway some advice to new CW ops.  Just send "agn pls es qrs" or something along those lines and be careful not to send faster than you can receive.  Keep in there you can do it!
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2010, 08:25:35 AM »

Im gonna guess he hand no idea what "GR OM TU HW R U" meant and doubted his coyping skills.

Abbreviations in CW are certainly handy and alot of 'old hands' are used to them but there is a limit in my mind.

Either that or he cooked his finals  Grin
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2010, 08:50:40 AM »

Most common reason for a more experienced op to "not be there" is a phone call. Or kids. Or wife.

Ham radio is just a hobby and for better or worse real life will intervene. Has to intervene.

Operating QSK (as opposed to just "radio supports QSK") helps a lot. Not being long-winded helps a lot. It gives a chance to say "hey I'm gonna take a phone call back in 5" (but in CW).

There's a mobile CW operator in the midwest I QSO every so often... while he's driving!!!! ... and most of his end of the QSO seems to be a list of highways and streets, sometimes he can go on for 30 minutes....!!!!! It takes a lot of patience to listen through a 30 minute monologue. After he's gotten started I know I can go upstairs, help the kids brush their teeth, get them in bed, and I know I can come back down and know he hasn't turned it over to me yet :-)
KE4ILG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2010, 08:53:51 AM »

I find that new cw ops tend to prefer  what I refer to as the "canned" QSO.  By that I mean calls signs twice the first time around, name, rst, QTH.  So my main thought is by using the "GE OM TU HW R U?" and the fact that you changed to using a straight key you may confused him.  If it had been me on the other end I might have questioned who I was talking to because the change in fist.  

My normal way of working what I believe is a new op is to spell out whole words.  I do that until I hear the other op using the abbreviations.  In the time after dropping code from the exam its impossible to know the code proficiency by the license held by any op.  I have met many Extra licensed hams on their first few cw QSO's.  Try to remember you first few cw QSO's then dumb it down a little and you will be close to my level.  

I remember one of my first QSO's when the other op sent CU AGN SN and I sent 73 and QRT'd.  I kept reading my paper trying to figure out what I had missed to have written down cuagnsn.   It took me a few read through's to get it and when I finally did it was a relief.  For a while I was convinced I had lost my mind or I was soooo bad at copying code that I should give up.  

How about checking QRZ.com to see if he has an email listed and let him know what happened on your end.  Its good to know you are concerned and trying to slow down for the newer ops.  I am always grateful for all the understanding cw ops who slowed down for me and held my hand many years ago, and last week. hihi 73 for now and cu agn sn, Mike ke4ilg
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2010, 10:53:17 AM »

Thank you, I think you make a great point that not knowing the skill level of the other op should lead me to avoid abbreviations for the first minute or two while I see his experience  and see if that will facilitate or kill the QSO. 
I guess I have just gotten to used to my ragchews with a few friends that I forget to think that the guy on the other side might be staring at the paper wondering what does "cusgnsn" mean???
Thanks
PA2EFR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2010, 10:59:00 AM »

My keyer once crashed during a qso. It only produced a very long continuing dash. Grin
In a hurry I had to connect the straigt key and could continue the qso, with a sri from my side.

Wink

But leaving a qso without a word is not polite imho.
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »

Maybe the other op had an emergency at his end.

Maybe the other op experienced a power failure.

Maybe the other op experienced equipment failure.

Maybe the condx changed and he lost you or you lost him.

Move on to the next QSO. 

N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2010, 01:23:11 PM »

Being a fairly new radio amateur, and even newer CW op in this no-code era, with no true elmer to guide me, or established protocol to learning the ropes, I would also guess that: a) The other op was confused by the abbreviations, b) he was too panicked, or too embarrassed to ask for rpt c) or he couldn't copy as fast as he sent. Plus, we've all probably seen/heard stories of the guy who sent of his first CQ, only to panic and shut the radio off when someone actually answered his call.

First time/newer op jitters more than likely.
KF7ATL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2010, 06:59:16 PM »

Steve,

I still remember my first CW contact. When someone answered my CQ and I heard my call coming back to me, I very nearly panicked! I came this close to turning off the rig and running away. I'm glad that I didn't, because he was very patient with me and it turned out to be a successful QSO. If turning off the rig is what happened, I can't say that I blame him very much. If it was equipment failure, sometimes there isn't much that you can do about that, unless you can fix it on the spot. Maybe we should give him the benefit of the doubt.

Garth
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 07:46:41 AM »

Garth,
  Of course you and the others are right--thank you.  My point in this post was the last sentence.  I don't know what happened but if it was fear I wanted to pass along a little advice to the novice CW op.
"Anyway some advice to new CW ops.  Just send "agn pls es qrs" or something along those lines and be careful not to send faster than you can receive.  Keep in there you can do it!"
I meant this post to be encouragement to hang in there and give it a go.  Maybe it was just his equipment--no worries I understand I have been there before.  Maybe it was nerves-- and if so I just wanted to say hang in there, you can do it!  And if I scared him away with the abbreviations or the speed to say I'm sorry; "please don't run away just try again slower, I've been there before, and so has everyother operator on CW."
Anyway sorry this post sounded accusing, that was not my intent.
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 01:30:05 PM »

and remember the unmaskable Interrupt - the spouse override! If your spouse isn't enthusiastic about your hobby, and you haven't negotiated an operating period in advance (which I do for contests, in blocks of no more than 2 hours), when she wants your attention, she doesn't care what you're doing with the headphones on, you're not paying attention to her. The baby might have spit up, the dog made a mess, something just boiled over, dinner is on the table - his attention was required elsewhere immediately - spouse override. Just make more contacts, and you'll eventually get into some fun rag-chew session. And do plan on some time in the CW SS the first weekend in November! schedule it on the family calendar, and hour or two here and there!

Fred, KQ6Q
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 09:54:39 PM »

I am just echoing previous conments that the abbreviations can be a killer.
I am not a new CW operator. I am not saying I am a good CW op, but I am not new at it. I still have qsos where the other guy sends an endless stream of abbreviated words and I have no idea what he is talking about until later I am sitting there tuning around, glancing down at my notes and realizing what the guy was trying to tell me.
There is nothing wrong with abbreviations. But some people take them way too far abreviating almost everything they send leaving me scratching my head. Of course the problem is all the worse when you are having trouble copying the guy at all due to band condtions and you are missing a character here and there.
My guess is the guy in the qso mentioned didn't know what you were saying and thought he got himself in over his head. I echo the statement about sending him an email and trying to discuss it with him.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
AA1BN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 07:48:37 PM »

Then, there were the countless times I've moved my pad and hit
the tuning knob, losing the frequency.... and of course, not having
written the freq down..... where did that guy go? All these dits and dahs
sound the same! Jeeesh.

It's only an expensive hobby.....

G4FUT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 03:46:06 AM »

AA1BN

Nice reply that.... Cheesy Cheesy I appreciate it.....happens to me.

Even if the voices aren't real, they have some pretty good ideas
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: