Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Vista 64 Bit OS and Hamradio Applications?  (Read 1213 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: March 20, 2009, 05:51:27 AM »

I am presently running Vista 32 bit OS. It works just fine with all my hamradio applications. In fact I like Vista and have had less trouble with it than Win XP.

Soon I will have to upgrade to a new computer. Most all the computers these days have Vista 64 bit OS. How well
does Vista 64 bit operate with hamradio applications?

I use N1MM logger, Logic 8 logger, HRD and DM780, Wincap Wizard, VE7CC DxCluster client, Navigator Interface.

I am looking for real world experience answers NOT VISTA is EVIL answers.

Thanks
Stan K9IUQ
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2009, 10:58:21 AM »

32 bit software will run on a 64 bit OS without much of a problem.  Just look back to the Windows 95 days: You could run 16 bit Windows 3x software on your brand new, 32 bit 486 CPU.

Realistically though, the "bits" have to do with memory addresses more than anything though.  Unless you are going to run an insane amount of RAM on your machine, 32 bit will work fine for years.  In fact, I'd rather have a Dual Core or a Quad Core 32 bit over a single-core 64 bit any day.  I hope this helps.

73 de AB3HJ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2009, 01:18:38 PM »

My present computer is a Dual core 64bit computer which is running 32 bit Vista. The computer is a few years old and originally came with Windows XP. I put Vista on it about a year ago. I had the choice to put either 64bit Vista or 32 bit Vista on the computer when I updated. I chose 32 bit because I wasn't sure if all my peripherals had 64bit drivers. Vista has run just fine on this computer and runs all my ham appps.

Sometime soon I will need to upgrade my computer. These days it is cost efficient to just buy another computer rather than add memory, hardrive etc to the old one.

My main concern is the ability to run all the ham apps I now use. My computer is VERY important to me in my ham radio activity's. I know for sure that Wincap Wizard will not run on a Vista 64bit OS. This is from the developer. This is why I started this thread. I am wondering what else wont run......

Stan K9IUQ
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2009, 05:25:40 PM »

hi,

Virtual PC can run your older applications on
your new pc.  it is now available free from microsoft.

MS purchased the company that developed the software.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/details.aspx?FamilyID=04d26402-3199-48a3-afa2-2dc0b40a73b6&displaylang=en

you can even run MS DOS if you like without
having to dual boot your pc.

73 james
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2009, 05:32:40 PM »

Thanks for the Virtual PC link. I looked at it and it looks very interesting. Since it is free I think I will try it out.

Stan K9IUQ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 09:05:15 AM »

32-bit applications should run okay in a 32-bit compatibility mode on 64-bit Vista. They just won't have access to all of the memory.
K0BT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2009, 10:22:00 PM »

I've been running 64-bit Vista Ultimate since it first came out and have yet to find a problem running any ham radio application.  I run Ham Radio Deluxe and DM-780 every day on this PC.  I've tried most of the logging software and the digital packages with complete success.

W6SQA

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2009, 05:38:45 PM »

I recently posted a problem with this. MOST 32bit apps BUT not all, will work with vista 64, BUT those that depend on drivers may not.

My problem is that I have an adapter for my Yaesu Vx-6r from "ttl2usb" in order to run the Commander software to set up memories, etc. The Commander software runs fine, but the old drivers for the adapter do not.

After I posted my question (Which I can' find now.) I got back two responses, one of which pointed me to 64 bit drivers for the chipset. I haven' tried this yet, but I will tomorrow.

Even my copy of Quicken won't run. (Admittedly it is 2004 version--but why upgrade when it was working <g>.

So it depends on the software.
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2009, 06:22:07 AM »

"Even my copy of Quicken won't run. (Admittedly it is 2004 version--but why upgrade when it was working <g>."

Sounds like it's time for an upgrade then Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: