Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: am I nuts to leave Ten Tec?  (Read 5140 times)
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2010, 07:26:40 PM »

Ditto.  The Omni-VI is a better rig in many ways than the IC-751A is, although it's also larger and takes up more space.

Hi Steve,
Since the only transmitter I have here is an IC-751A, I'd appreciate hearing why you say that.

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2010, 09:48:42 AM »

Ditto.  The Omni-VI is a better rig in many ways than the IC-751A is, although it's also larger and takes up more space.

Hi Steve,
Since the only transmitter I have here is an IC-751A, I'd appreciate hearing why you say that.

Pretty big difference in technology, there.  The OMNI-VI is 6 years newer.  Operationally, I love the direct pushbutton band selection; switchable (from front panel) separate receive antenna jack;  10 Hz digital readout resolution; 100 memories that store frequency, mode, filter selection, RIT/XIT data and split status; true QSK without waveform alteration to 60 wpm (the 751A is good up to about 20 wpm before it starts clipping the envelope); and other PUI features lacking in the 751A; however in terms of performance, focusing on receive (measurements all by Sherwood Engineering):

OMNI VI 2 kHz dynamic range, measured: 80 dB
IC-751A 2 kHz dynamic range, measured: 64 dB
OMNI VI 20 kHz dynamic range, measured: 97 dB
IC-751A 20 kHz dynamic range, measured: 84 dB
OMNI-VI L.O. noise, 20 kHz spaced, measured: 137 dBc
IC-751A L.O. noise, 20 kHz spaced, measured: 127 dBc
OMNI-VI Blocking dynamic range, measured: 145 dB
IC-751A Blocking dynamic range, measured: 138 dB

The QST review (January 1993) of the OMNI-VI has a remarkable statement which I've found to be quite true: "The Omni VI's synthesizer is one of the very cleanest in any modern transceiver" (page 67 of the review), and this shows up when listening to weak signals on a crowded band.  It's easier to hear them, and less tiring to listen to.

I've had both and would greatly prefer the OMNI-VI for almost any kind of operation, with two limitations: It doesn't have "general coverage" receiving (which the 751A does), and it's larger, and takes up more space than the 751A does.

KI0P

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2010, 01:18:53 PM »

I don't think you will be happy with the ICOM on CW. The QSK on the Ten Tec is far superior and will be missed quickly. If you can afford the cost I would keep the Ten Tec get the ICOM and compare them side by side. You can then decide which to keep.

Mike
KI0P
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2010, 02:30:45 PM »

Thanks, Steve and Mike.

I now have an IC-765 here as well. Needs some minor adjustments, mostly to the auto tuner.

NK6Q

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2010, 06:10:37 PM »

This thread piqued my curiosity, which led me to some online research. 

After giving it some thought: yes, I think you ARE NUTS to leave Ten Tec.  In fact, after reading glowing performance reviews of the Omni VI, I've begun looking around to see if I can pick up its predecessor, the Omni V, which seems like a pretty fair CW rig as well.

Sooooooo, whenever you're ready to chuck the Omni VI, you can just toss it in my direction.

Bill in Pasadena
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2010, 07:29:53 PM »

Thanks, Steve and Mike.

I now have an IC-765 here as well. Needs some minor adjustments, mostly to the auto tuner.

I had an IC-751A and then an IC-761 and an IC-765 years ago.  The IC-765 is the best of the batch.  Keep it.  If working properly, it's absolutely a better rig than the 751A.
AE6ZW

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2010, 11:38:22 PM »

I used to be ham radio repair tech, I used IC-751 several times.
I use OMNi-V which is older model than OMNI-VI
OMNI-V is better CW rig than IC-751
beside, if IC-751 broken, you may have difficulty finding parts,  OMNI-V , probably also OMNI-VI repairing those are easy,  large case, plenty of space,  large through holes parts. 
easy to open case, easy access to all of sub assembly PCB, etc.
IC-751 is good radio also by the way.  also like FT-757GX2
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2010, 04:46:56 AM »

"Am I nuts to leave ten-tec?"

Well, to go off on a tangent here---NOT IF IT HAS CHEATED ON YOU!  :-)

Sorry!  I just couldn't resist that one!
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: