Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ADMS-4B Windows Software for FT-857, worth it?  (Read 5925 times)
KG4MCC

Ignore
« on: January 28, 2005, 02:00:25 PM »

I'm thinking about buying a FT-857D, and if I do what accessories should I buy with it. I will just be on VHF for the time being, but intend to upgrade to HF.

Most vendors have an ADMS-4B Windows Programming Kit, which appears to be a basic CAT software with a cable (ct-62 interface?). I was wondering if I should get the kit, or just get the CT-62 interface cable (or make an equivalent) and download one of the freeware CAT programs and save about $30? I can't find a good reference or review of the software, so maybe someone who already has one can give me an opinion.

I'm also wondering about the YSK-857 separation kit. Would a CAT-5 computer cable or something similar for the display, along with other simple cables to extend the mic, and some strategically place velcro, do a 'good-enough' job to remote the head unit for occasional portable/mobile use? If so, I could probably save at least another $30 or so. I have some experience and tools to terminate CAT5/RJ-48 type cables.

Also, if there are any other accessories that go with the FT-857 series that you think that no Ham can do without, I would like to hear about that too.

Dave - KG4MCC
KC2ENI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2005, 04:54:54 AM »

I made myself a head extension kit from the following;

15 foot CAT5E cable
RJ45 coupler
25 foot RJ25 (yes that says 25) cable
Crimp on RJ25 plug
Industrial Velcro

The RJ25 is available at RadioShack. They sell it as a '3 line phone cord'. You'll have to buy a packet of RJ25 plugs and a crimp from them also. I paid $25 in total for this lot.

You have to chop of one of the pre fitted plugs and them re-make the end so as to make a 1-1 cable rather than the 1-8 cable that it was.

Install the RJ45 coupler onto one oend of the CAT5E cable and plug your mic into it.

Get the Velcro from K-Mart's tools section.

Total was $35 including tools.
KH6POI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 07:30:15 AM »

Hi Dave,
I find myself where you were last year and wonder if you use the ADMS-4B software. I am presently using HRD and find it a little awkward.  I use the Kenwood software with the 2000 and like the user friendlyness of it.
Thanks for any info.
Bill
KC2VKD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2009, 07:40:56 AM »

i am in the same boat i have a FT-897D and i noticed this thread is almost 2 years old just wondering in any new 3rd party (free) software is out and i plan on making my own cable i will be using a usb to db9 adapter. some software react badly to the adapter. if anyone has there 2 cents of advise i am all ears

Thanks
Michael kc2vkd
W3KPQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 12:08:07 PM »

I have been trying for sometime to find 4b software out there but hard to find unless you pruchase it.  Need someone to go halves on the software mush cheaper.

Ron
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:42:11 PM »

Try Commander and the DXLab Suite; they support the FT-857 (and the TS-2000), and are entirely free via www.dxlabsuite.com

Dave, AA6YQ
KB3LSR

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 10:41:17 AM »

I don't know how the price compares, but GigaParts will give you a free separation kit for $719 (HRO charges $729 for the same setup).

http://www.gigaparts.com/store.php?action=search&category=MOB-H6VU&type=radio&query=FT-857&showall=1

I've had very good luck with GigaParts in the past.

As far as the programming software, I have an FT-897 and the software and cable are the same for the FT-857.  So if you ever plan to get an FT-897 as a base someday, one programming kit will work with both radios.  I plan on the FT-857 someday so I got the kit with my 897.

I hope this helps.
K6PCW

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2009, 07:59:39 PM »

FYI, I installed ADMS-4B on my Windows 7 computer today.  Just as the "read from radio" process was almost finished, my computer crashed (blue screen).  After rebooting, then uninstalling and reinstalling ADMS-4B, I experienced the same problem again.  Perhaps somebody has a solution?
KJ4KKI

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 08:43:45 PM »

I use ADMS for my FT-60 and have never had a problem with it crashing my pc.  I did have an odd problem once.  I tried to program another FT-60, not knowing it had a mod.  I later was changing some freqs on ADMS and it read an error on my HT.  I had it read my HT and things worked flawlessly.  I talked to the ADMS people and was told that any mods will make the software incompatible as it reads the radio the same as a computer would, and mods read differently than what it's "told" is correct, thereby causing the software not to work.  I'm planning to get an HF rig this fall and I think I'll definitely get ADMS again.
KB1PVH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2010, 12:24:18 AM »

FYI, I installed ADMS-4B on my Windows 7 computer today.  Just as the "read from radio" process was almost finished, my computer crashed (blue screen).  After rebooting, then uninstalling and reinstalling ADMS-4B, I experienced the same problem again.  Perhaps somebody has a solution?

I assume you are using a USB cable. Make sure you have the Windows7 driver for the cable. I had the same problem with Vista.

Dave - KB1PVH
KJ4VTH

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 06:33:29 PM »

I am a cheapskate and so I fumbled through the menus and got my rig all set up.  Made me feel good to do it all by myself!

But then I wanted to move things around, rename freqs, change TEN to TSQ or vice-versa, resort by bands, maybe another sort by name, and - oh no - I had to do a few resets too to clean up some screwy settings.  So I finally bit the bullet, whipped out the wallet, and paid the price and - you know what? - it IS worth it.

Got the latest version 4.x with USB and it took a LONG TIME to install the drivers on my laptop running Vista Home Premium but once it was done, everything was cake.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: