The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Astatic D-104 Replacement Element  (Read 10613 times)
KD8HMO

Ignore
« on: September 28, 2010, 11:51:57 PM »

I dont know if this is old news or not, but I see there is a company that is making new replacment Rochelle crystal elements for the D-104. This is not a dynamic replacment. Its supposed to be a new, true to the original sound, crystal replacment. The company is called RB Micro. Has anyone tried these?

www.rbmicro.com
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 09:54:33 PM by Richard » Logged
KD0FAT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2010, 08:50:00 AM »

I have not purchased from RB Micro, but they have been on the web for some time. Looks to me like they sell a generic (asian mfr?) crystal element with the necessary new padding and mounting hardware. If you search through Mouser's line of microphone elements, you can find Kobitone brand crystal elements that look very much like the ones used by RB Micro. The plain crystal element from Mouser is inexpensive--around $5. If you need the mounting hardware, RB Micro's kit price doesn't seem out of line.   73, Al
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2010, 09:00:30 AM »

I have not purchased from RB Micro, but they have been on the web for some time. Looks to me like they sell a generic (asian mfr?) crystal element with the necessary new padding and mounting hardware. If you search through Mouser's line of microphone elements, you can find Kobitone brand crystal elements that look very much like the ones used by RB Micro. The plain crystal element from Mouser is inexpensive--around $5. If you need the mounting hardware, RB Micro's kit price doesn't seem out of line.   73, Al

I thought the Kobitone mic was a dynamic. I will have to look into both of these. I have an old D-104 that could probably use a new element.
KD0FAT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2010, 09:08:38 AM »

Mouser's mic element pages show a lot of variety in types and manufacturers. The only crystal elements that I found there were by Kobitone, just a couple of models.  -Al
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2010, 10:25:26 AM »

I buy the Kobitone large element crystal cartridge from Mouser.  it is the one that is around 1-1/2 inches in diameter.  Tried the smaller one but they don't sound like a D-104.  The big one does, I did a comparison once on a local 80M net with an original D-104 element and no one could tell the difference.  They are a bit pricier now than when I bought a few years ago, I think they are $6-7.  I mount the cartridge in a piece of foam rubber cut to fit the Kobitone and the outside diameter of the head, with a thin piece of fibreglass insulation behind the element.

Greg
KG6YV
KD8HMO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2010, 11:31:03 AM »

Im just happy to see that there are a few replacements out there. Its too bad that someone doesnt buy up the rights to the D-104 and start making them again.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2010, 04:35:54 PM »

Im just happy to see that there are a few replacements out there. Its too bad that someone doesnt buy up the rights to the D-104 and start making them again.

You gotta have a market. There are hundreds, if not thousands, of the things available (cheap) on the used market so who's going to buy a new one at today's prices? I have three in working condition and paid less that $25 each for them, with the PTT stands.

I do agree it's nice there are replacement elements available.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2010, 04:37:25 PM by Lon Kinley » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2010, 11:31:50 PM »

I thought the Kobitone mic was a dynamic. I will have to look into both of these. I have an old D-104 that could probably use a new element.

The Korbitone element is about $5 at Mouser. Some guys on ebay have the same element, for more than $12. I have not heard great things about that element. But I have never tested one myself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: