Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What should a modern amplifier look like?  (Read 9897 times)
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2010, 12:43:10 PM »

The Amps of the Future have been here for a long time, the only problem is that it might not meet your price specifications.

Super Reliable, Great looking and fault protection for just about everything
http://www.tokyohypower.com/hl-2_5kfx.html

Another great Futuristic Amp thats going to become more popular.
http://www.rfsolutions.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=26&zenid=p6dqqvskcv5q16oc9ftdtnoeo1

The Dream Amp of the Future for those who can afford it!
http://www.hellocq.net/forum/showthread.php?t=213233
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2010, 09:48:17 AM »

I think K5TR has hit the nail on the head. Cooling is the problem, especially for something like RTTY contesting. I believe some Rohde and Schwarz FM broadcast transmitters use multiple modules with water cooling, and for 1500 watts, you'd need something like that - or some BIG heat sinks and fans.

Cooling would be less of an issue if the efficiency was higher on the semiconductors. Something like an IGBT that could operate at the frequency without generating all sorts of harmonics and had some sort of sane impedance matching.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
K2DC

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2010, 01:56:17 PM »

It does't matter to me whether it's tube or sold state.  To me, the amp of the future has the following attributes:

-  1.5KW out with less than 100W drive, regardlesss of mode or duty factor

-  Minimal warm-up time

-  Protection circuits for VSWR, Ig, Ip, Ic or whatever that do not require
   additional warm-up time

-  Guaranteed supportable for 15-20 years

-  Price new about $3.00/W or so (today dollars)

Good luck finding one of those new.

73 All,

Don, K2DC

PA3GOS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2010, 04:18:56 PM »

Maybe a serious tubemanufacturer would pick up where they left off with the 8873.
A heavier conduction cooled tube would be a great startingpoint for a noiseless amplifier.

I use my SB-230 every day and, apart from the max power out, it is (almost) an ideal amplifier.
Throw in auto tune and some protection circuitry and the job is done.

Now if only Eimac........
K4DPK

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2010, 08:57:47 PM »

Guys....

Read his third paragraph.  He's not asking for comments here.  He wants everyone to contribute to a page he's started somewhere else.

Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk
N0AZZ

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2010, 05:50:27 AM »

It should look just like the new soon to be released Yaesu VL-2000 legal limit amp that was shown at Dayton.
NO9E

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2010, 09:04:03 AM »

If there was money like in a cell industry, perhaps we would have an auto tuning KW amplifier with 80% efficiency and low IMD weighting 10 lb.

The key is high voltage transistors, transformer-less power supply, envelope modulated class D or E, forward correction, and output filters precisely matched to an antenna.

See some general  ideas at: http://www.eham.net/articles/19194
Also follow discussions while filtering out negative replies. 

Ignacy
WA6MJE

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2010, 03:15:28 PM »

Or maybe it will be like the soon to be released and much 'talked about' Elecraft KP500.  Five hundred watts, builtin linear power supply and fits in a K3 sized cabinet.

Ok, I am about to buy a small, solid state amp, when I ran across this post.  I was not aware Elecraft had anything in the works.  They are a good quality company, and this is worth looking into before I buy an Ameritron.  Can anyone provide more information about this new Elecraft amp?

Rene - WA6MJE
K6AER

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 09:14:56 PM »

I would not look for the Elecraft amplifier anytime soon. It will need to be type accepted (TIA-603C)with emmisions down 71 dBc out to the tenth harmonic from the case as well as conducted. Looking at the model at Dayton it has far to go.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 11:22:53 AM »

Can anyone provide more information about this new Elecraft amp?

Rene - WA6MJE

Rene

I used one of the several prototypes of the KPA500 at Pacificon a couple of weeks ago.  VERY nice QSK, as I'd expect.  Same case as the K3, but a bit deeper with the fan guard on the back.  Did not break my back trying to lift it, but it was pretty heavy nonetheless.  I especially like the band buttons on the front, which will eventually deliver the direct band-stacking register feature which is the K3's only actual shortcoming.

Mine will be on order as soon as they accept orders, which as I understand won't be until after the new year.  There is also a matching (and remotable!) autotuner but it's not clear to me they will be available at the same time.

Steve KZ1X/4
NN4X

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2010, 12:49:06 PM »

I should look like the Prometheus http://www.dishtronix.com/prometheus.html  or, perhaps the THP HL-5KFX http://pacoea5ol.blogspot.com/2009/11/tokyo-high-power-hl-5kfx-pa.html .

I like the THP because of the 6M functionality, but my heart (if not my cash) is with the Prometheus...

Steve
NN4X
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2010, 01:20:09 PM »

It should look and function like the Prometheus, have the warranty of the Alpha, and the price tag of the Ameritron.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 11:15:18 AM »

I also included the Promethus in my post but the more I look at it the more I find it to be just a waste!   It's a 1500 watt amp that cost twice as much as a Tokyo Hy-Power 2.5KFX which will do 1800 watts and has a solid well known reputation.  Add to that the fact that the 2.5KFX is about half the size and I think the Promethus is just a waste.

On the other hand the Tokyo Hy-Power 5KFX well WOW what can anyone say about that, I have heard it can do 3-4 Kwatts without sweating and OMG is it sweet looking, I cant wait to see one Naked Smiley  I can only imagine whats inside.

I should look like the Prometheus http://www.dishtronix.com/prometheus.html  or, perhaps the THP HL-5KFX http://pacoea5ol.blogspot.com/2009/11/tokyo-high-power-hl-5kfx-pa.html .

I like the THP because of the 6M functionality, but my heart (if not my cash) is with the Prometheus...

Steve
NN4X
KE3HO

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 01, 2010, 12:32:58 PM »

A modern amplifier should be a black box with a coax connector marked "Radio", a coax connector marked "Antenna", and a power connector.

No power switch - the modern amplifier owner would never dream of turning it off.
No standby switch - see above.
No knobs - because if it had knobs, they would all be turned all the way to the right anyway.
No ALC connector - that just gets in the way of over-driving the amp.
Must be fully self tuning.

Cheesy - 73
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 02, 2010, 01:26:50 PM »

A modern amplifier should be a black box with a coax connector marked "Radio", a coax connector marked "Antenna", and a power connector.

No power switch - the modern amplifier owner would never dream of turning it off.
No standby switch - see above.
No knobs - because if it had knobs, they would all be turned all the way to the right anyway.
No ALC connector - that just gets in the way of over-driving the amp.
Must be fully self tuning.

Cheesy - 73

I agree.  I should not have to ever touch the amp.  If I want less power, I back off the power control on my rig, that's that.  And, I hate amplifiers that detect something amiss, and then shut off.  My radio, when it detects bad SWR, just cuts back power.  An amp should do the same, particularly if I've given it control of my radio's ALC line.

What I really want is a 1.5kW radio.  I don't want to mess with an amp.

- k
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: