Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Crimp On PL259 Supply  (Read 4972 times)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2010, 10:31:18 AM »

I've been putting crimped connectors on RG8/213-size coax for over 10 years and have yet to have a failure of any kind. I am of the opinion that crimp connectors that fail are the result of improper installation - just like soldered connectors that fail.

I don't condemn those who solder PL-259s but I do get a little miffed at solder-snobs who think their way is the ONLY way.

I'll say it again, even some of you don't like to hear it: virtually no one but hams use soldered connectors. There must be a pretty good reason for that. Smiley

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
W3JKS

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2010, 02:57:45 PM »

If I have an antenna with LMR400 or RG-213 hanging from a UHF connector, I usually use a Kellems cable grip to take the strain off the connector (old power utility engineer  Roll Eyes ).

I've been using crimp connectors for decades, mostly N's though.

john W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAM3RE/AAA9SL
K4RCH

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 08:04:41 PM »

Stick with high quality connectors and tools and you can't go wrong. I've been using AMP crimp-on connectors for over 25 years now and have never had one fail, indoors or outdoors. Of course quality doesn't come cheap.

UHF for RG58
UHF for RG8

WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2010, 01:00:52 AM »

Like W3LK and others, I've been using crimp-on connectors for well over seven years, some on towers well over 80 feet (one about three times that) and am still waiting for my first failure.  My brand of choice is RF Industries for both connectors and tools.  I have no problem with taking the time to solder them if I were convinced that it would result in a superior connection, but I have no evidence to show that it does.  Of course, whatever the assembly method, sealing is requisite and a no-brainer and, whatever method you use, you NEVER depend on the connector or the sealing method to support the cable, even for a few feet.
Tom DGN
« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 01:21:10 AM by Tom Allinson » Logged
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2010, 05:03:26 PM »

hi

Quality crimp tools are easy to find used on ebay and other sites,
even imported new tools get the job done right the first time.

I replaced the pl-259's on the ends of my SGC tuner and
Cushcraft MA5v with straight crimp jacks for RG-58 from Mouser.

73 james
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2010, 09:14:13 AM »

I've been using crimped-on BNC's by the tens of thousands for instrumentation for a couple decades. I don't see why the standards for crimped-on PL-259's should be any lower.

But there are overall issues with quality of the connector and the guy doing the installation. The cheapest crimp-on connector done by a guy who doesn't have the right crimper or the knowledge of what he's doing, will be a pretty lousy connector compared to anything done right.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: