Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Ten-Tec rig, the "Eagle"  (Read 13343 times)
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 03:16:00 PM »

<There is no SPOT functionality on the Eagle, you'll have to use your ears or software.  This was discussed at length on the Yahoo group listed in the first post.>

Maybe they do what was done on th 6n2..  func-v/m that brings up sidetone for volume setting then zerobeat
with main or RIT.   Then func-v/m again and go for it.  Once you know the panel it's fast and easy though for some it may seem strange.

Allison
WA9UAA

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 04:37:42 PM »

Allison,
That's the kind of work around info I need.
Thanks and 73,
Rob WA9UAA
N6JSX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2010, 06:45:26 AM »

Buyer Beware - be careful and exert pressure to insure TT properly documents this new rig....  Shocked

I own a Pegasus and I'm owner #2 of http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TenTec_Pegasus .... Pegasus is a non-display Jupiter (that is still being sold), in affect the Pegasus was the 1st generation Flex-Radio. Over two years ago at Dayton I had a  conversation with TT Chief Engineer (who promised but never followed through), so last year I had the same talk discussion with with new TT VP of Sales.

Three years ago TT updated their web site and totally dropped any/all reference to the Pegasus. [However, to be fair Kenwood web old rig support is by FAR the worst.] TT still repairs Pegasus, as the Pegasus/Jupiter has a major design flaw in not having VSWR protection. PA-Finals replacement costs last yeas was ~$156 +shipping, Final-PA R15/R19 may require adjusting but we cannot get an adjustment procedure.  Angry

TT exec's said they would make this information available - its now been +2.5yrs and counting.   Undecided

I asked TT to document their (out of production) Pegasus and make this documentation available even at cost. But first and foremost we need readable schematics - not the free 5th generation copy-of-a-copy unreadable partial schematics TT sends out on request. We assume TT must have a rig MFG Pegasus/Jupiter alignment/adjustment procedure - can we buy a copy?
(What does it indicate if TT does not have this procedure as to TT Quality Control?)
 We need a Pegasus BOM parts list - can we buy it? We need a real service manual (and with just a lil more it could double as the Jupiter's manual too!   Huh   

So TT buyers - look behind the frills and pretty rig face - how will you support your new rig when TT dumps all support for it? Hence, I will not even consider buying another TT until they change their support methods/ways!!! Burn me once shame on you, burn me twice shame on ME!

TI2TL

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2010, 07:58:22 PM »

Well let me tell you I am a tentec user and I have also a tentec titan 425 (old and discontinued amplifier) and the service of tentec has been BY FAR the best I have ever had the pleasure to deal with.
To say that tentec service is bad means that you have no experience with the service of other brands where the only service they give you is the address of the service department where you have to send the rig in order for them to evaluate the damage and pay pay pay...

Tentec has walked me through a repair by phone more than once and they also acepted me sending just the damaged board instead of the whole rig, while no other service accepts this.

So... would I buy a tentec rig over a japan made rig YES YES YES... only problem I find with the eagle is that it should be priced lower in my opinion.
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 12:14:46 AM »

I was surprised that the SO239  and power connector was not an option on the Eagle!

Having a noise blanker as a option sucks. Not having  the considered basic feature set needed for everyday operation makes it a terrible choice.
While I agree with Tentec and its philosophy for producing a  new low price high performance, the way they have designed  the Eagle is  just
awkward. Why cant they produce a radio like the TS480 with the DSP architecture?

The radio is rather lacking in terms of its feature set and   its transmitter IMD  specifications  look    horrible. I dont envision this radio at a
multi multi contest station despite its claimed receiver performance.

This radio reminds me of  a  CB radio, we have the Eagle and I am waiting for the President Washington, Lincoln and Bush. Maybe even an Obama model. Will Ten Tec  be releasing a Silver Eagle mic for the Eagle?

Jokes aside I will wait till Sherwood tests the radio, its asking price might be the greatest bargain in amateur radio even with the optional noise blanker! It might make a great dxpedition contest radio.
K4RCH

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 07:59:29 PM »

Jokes aside I will wait till Sherwood tests the radio

Ask and ye shall receive: Sherwood Test Data
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 12:05:27 AM »

Thanks for the Link,,,,

Impressive bang for the buck. Ten Tec must be congratulated for producing such a  good receiver.

All we need now  from Tec Tec is a transmitter with equally impressive IMD performance. Maybe the Eagle MK2 will such a
transmitter. I could not use a Radio with such poor transmitter IMD in my station.

Regardless congratulations Tec Tec.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: