Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 element cubex quad/yaesu G-2800 dxc Rotor  (Read 1779 times)
LA4UOA

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2010, 01:30:50 PM »

This summer i got up a 4 element 5 band Cubex quad with 30 feet boom,i bouhgt the biggest Yaesu Rotor i could find, the Yaesu  G-2800 DXC.
Rotor turns ant very easy, but i wind the antenna moving very much from one side to the other.
Theres no way to lock rotor either.
Would like to know if any of you found a way to lock the boom perhaps? or perhaps its just normal  moving from side to side like that?
I  know there are several other rotors may better out there, but i need answer from somebody having same rotor for several years,and not info on other rotors.
Thank you.
Torgeir.
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 12:29:26 PM »

I just put up my Cubex 3 element 5 band Quad this past weekend.  Since then, we've been having fairly strong winds with gusts to 25 MPH (55KPH).  My rotor is a Tailtwister that was rebuilt before the install.  I do not see the rocking you mention.  My antenna is at 65 feet (about 20 meters).  It has a 18 foot boom.  Wind speed is from a Davis Provantage 2 weather station mounted on the tower with the sensor at 45 feet.

How strong of a wind are you talking about?  How many degrees of rocking are you seeing?

A big difference between the Yaseu and HyGain is the HyGain uses a wedge brake.  The Yaseu relies on motor torque to hold the antenna in place.  There is no 'brake' in the Yaseu.
LA4UOA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »

Hi.
My antenna has 30 ft boom,how many degrees it moves i am not shure,but it moves a lot, perhaps 50-60cm each way .
As i wrote,would be nice to hear from somebody with same rotor as mine,strange there are no way to lock it,i gess i have to make something my self, to lock boom when its not in use.
Dont understand why Yaesu make them like that,because in manual they say it is for big antennas.
KI4Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 11:29:32 AM »

No mechanical brake in a Yaesu rotator??  That's rather rude I think..  The near ancient Ham-M rotator at least has a brake.

'73  mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: