Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Callsign Lookup Website  (Read 17791 times)
G4AON

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2009, 03:16:49 AM »

I especially like the mobile/PDA compatible site. Few sites cater for mobiles and send you around 1 Mb of data for your trouble trying their site!

73 Dave
http://www.astromag.co.uk (mobile and PDA auto detect/switching)
KB1QAB

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2009, 10:10:06 PM »

I recently changed my callsign from KB1QAB to a new vanity callsign, W1JDD. I re-registered for eHam forums using my new callsign, but the account hasn't been activated yet, so I'm posting this from my old account.

Anyway, with my new callsign comes a new feature for Callook, thanks to a suggestion from G4AON.

Accessing http://callook.info from most mobile browsers will now automatically redirect you to http://callook.info/mobile.

For those who are curious, this feature has been implemented with the handy "Detect Mobile Browsers" drop-in PHP code available at http://detectmobilebrowsers.mobi.

W1JDD
W1JDD

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: October 10, 2009, 07:53:49 PM »

Callook.info has a new feature that many of you requested: it can now generate mailing address label images for printing.

Enjoy, and as always, I welcome any and all feedback.

W1JDD
KA3DNR

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2009, 07:53:07 PM »

Thank you.

A little easier to use than QRZ (no log-in required).

Marc
W1JDD

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2009, 06:33:30 PM »

Bill,

Thanks for your compliments!

While I agree that adding county information would be a very useful feature, and it actually wouldn't be too hard of a feature to implement, the problem ends up being where to actually pull the data from.

I'm running Callook as a free service (it's not ad-supported and I'm the sole developer, and I'm also paying for hosting costs out of pocket,) so I'm not too keen on paying for a current ZIP/county database. The most recent, freely-available ZIP code/county database I can find is from 2006. I realize county information doesn't change all that often, but I'm apprehensive about using an even slightly outdated database since people would use/rely on county information in the exact way you mentioned, making accuracy important.

Let me know your thoughts on this!

Josh, W1JDD
W1JDD

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010, 09:36:58 AM »

I realize this is digging up an old thread, but in the spirit of keeping the updates coming:

* Callook now has a complete API reference (http://callook.info/api_reference.php).
* The API is now accessible using "pretty URLs" (see the API reference.)
* The backend has been completely overhauled and should run slightly faster.

Enjoy!
KG4TKC

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2010, 09:08:27 AM »

Thanks W1JDD for bumping this thread back up! It is an important thread,keep right on bumping it with updates,,:) I had a hard drive crash and had lost the url,so I was very happy to see this thread bumped. I have saved it and have the lookup back in the toolbar. I am trying to replace all dependency on QRZ.com. From some of his last posts about his logbook software,I think Fred is getting more greedy and I look for much of QRZ to be for pay in the future. eham.com is just too filled with trolls that the mods refuse to do anything about to have to visit regularly.  I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket in any case,which is why I run Linux. Running open source GPL software makes one have an appreciation for what you are doing. I would much rather send you a donation for what you are doing than send Fred a membership fee so he can take another 'promotional tour' of hamfests next summer,or send eham a donation so they can continue to do nothing. Maybe I can send a donation if this nasty economy ever lets me. Keep up the good work.
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: September 05, 2010, 01:42:46 AM »

Thanks Josh,
That is what callsign lookup should be like. Quick and businesslike with simple interfacing.
I understand you are doing this out of your own pocket and you are obviously a good programmer, so many thanks for the facility.
When all is said and done, this is what most hams want - callsign lookup without the drama.
I just wanted to let you know your creation is appreciated and give my thanks.

73s
W1JDD

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2010, 09:15:10 AM »

Thanks W1JDD for bumping this thread back up! It is an important thread,keep right on bumping it with updates,,:) I had a hard drive crash and had lost the url,so I was very happy to see this thread bumped. I have saved it and have the lookup back in the toolbar. I am trying to replace all dependency on QRZ.com. From some of his last posts about his logbook software,I think Fred is getting more greedy and I look for much of QRZ to be for pay in the future. eham.com is just too filled with trolls that the mods refuse to do anything about to have to visit regularly.  I don't like to have all my eggs in one basket in any case,which is why I run Linux. Running open source GPL software makes one have an appreciation for what you are doing. I would much rather send you a donation for what you are doing than send Fred a membership fee so he can take another 'promotional tour' of hamfests next summer,or send eham a donation so they can continue to do nothing. Maybe I can send a donation if this nasty economy ever lets me. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Josh,
That is what callsign lookup should be like. Quick and businesslike with simple interfacing.
I understand you are doing this out of your own pocket and you are obviously a good programmer, so many thanks for the facility.
When all is said and done, this is what most hams want - callsign lookup without the drama.
I just wanted to let you know your creation is appreciated and give my thanks.

73s

Thanks guys! Glad to know my site is appreciated Smiley

Josh, W1JDD
KG4TKC

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2010, 04:47:24 AM »

Thank you for creating the site W1JDD,It will be mentioned along with the URL in our next club newsletter. GL es 73. KG4TKC
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2010, 06:19:04 PM »

Hello all,

For enjoyment, and mostly out of boredom, I've created a dead simple USA ham radio callsign lookup service named Callook. You can check it out at http://callook.info.

Callook's distinguishing features:

* Looks up RACES callsigns that may not be in other databases (for example, WC4AAS)
    * Has a text-only mode that is script/external application friendly
    * Has a browser search plugin
    * No ads, unlike other lookup sites I've seen
    * Updated daily at 8:05 AM EST

I'm obviously not trying to make money with this...I just made it for fun.

It should be noted that I purposely didn't implement lookup count in Callook, but if that's a feature that people really want, I can add it easily.

Let me know what you think, or if you find any problems with Callook!

KB1QAB

WM7D has provided this capability for the past 10 years: http://www.wm7d.net/fcc_uls/

Pathfinder Online lets you type in a callsign once and search online callbooks (like WM7D for US callsigns) and QSL route web sites with a single mouse click: http://www.dxlabsuite.com/pathfinder/WebClient/

Type in a US callsign, and click the CBA button. Now type in a French callsign and click the CBA button...

Dvae, AA6YQ
KJ4VTH

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2010, 07:03:53 PM »

Very nice, Josh.  A simple and effective site; a model of the KISS principle.
Bill - KJ4VTH
KD5RGJ

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: September 22, 2010, 03:55:45 PM »

I don't  get it ! Am I overlooking something? What features make this different from other sites, i.e. QRZ.COM?
W1JDD

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: September 22, 2010, 05:02:56 PM »

I don't  get it ! Am I overlooking something? What features make this different from other sites, i.e. QRZ.COM?

Off the top of my head:
  • An uncensored database
  • No ads
  • Unlimited, free API access
  • An awesome Google gadget Wink

73s,

Josh, W1JDD
KG4TKC

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »

I like how fast it loads without all the flashing ads we see everywhere else. I put the site in the Firefox search list in the address bar,and just type call signs into that,and fast as a click the page loads with the important data. You can also click on show map or the FCC ULS data once the page loads. And as an added bonus,if you check the page info,it does not load cookies into your browser. Callook has become my default call sign lookup page. 73
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: