Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New website for SmashIndex  (Read 1634 times)
KI4JGT

Ignore
« on: October 05, 2010, 02:19:51 AM »

Hey guys,
I haven't worked on SmashIndex in a while and I just started back up on it. The software is still hosted on the Yahoo Group: SmashIndex http://groups.yahoo.com/group/smashindex I haven't felt like upgrading it here lately. Sorry about that. I do plan on getting back to it ASAP. Thanks.

On a lighter note, I have opened a website for it, (the program is no longer called SmashIndex) but SmashIndex Logger. I have devoted SmashIndex.com to an entire suite of applications I plan to develope for the amateur radio community.

Which begs two more questions. What do you think of the website (http://www.smashindex.com) hogwash or nice? and What should I include in my suite. I don't want to include a normal logger b/c it would require me having to rename my field day logger yet again. but it's not completely out of the question.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2010, 07:59:11 PM »

Just updated the site, now there's a direct link to help you download the file from the home page. But it is still in BETA stage. I don't expect to have it fully functional until Jan at least.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 02:10:34 AM »

Hey guys just updated again. Was wondering if I could get your opinions. It now offers call lookups.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:50:07 AM »

KI4JGT :
You sure have a lot a of ads. When you try to go to forms it takes you to the redirect page for forums but you suffer through the ads loading. Personally I have Verizon DSL, yeah I know it sucks but that's what I have. So much going to other outside sites, double click included. Makes my slow DSL slower than a 28.8 twisted pair. Oh. yes I did find the history link interesting, should have clicked it when it first came up. Maybe have a list of advertisers like other sites. Even with out the list you're gonna make a mint on all the ads.

Tom Kb3hg
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 05:19:47 PM »

I'm sorry you had to deal with those ads KB3HG. i'm doing my best to have them removed. I've even considered self hosting. My host seems to think peppering a site with ads is a sure way of making money. Thanks for you review, I will try to take care of it. I personally hate the host, so I'm going to try to redirect the site to my sourceforge site for the project. Have you tried the software yet?
KJ4IDH

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 05:40:47 PM »

Since the ads are flash based they are easy to trick. Using IE, go to the site, click tools, then internet options then security. Click on the restricted sites red circle, then click on the "sites" button. Then add that site to the list. This effectively disables scripts and flash ojects from running on the page allowing for easy viewing and a decrease in load time. You will notice the bar along the top letting you know that these add ons failed.  Grin This can be used on just about any site that has those pesking flash ads.

The site is very nice, simple and easy on the eyes.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 09:04:24 PM »

The site was designed by the host. Their templates were used. I plan to replace them for right now with WOAS. At least until I have other options. I hope that it will force them to keep their ads at the top of the page so my software will be viewable, but I haven't tried it yet. If it doesn't work I'm redirecting to SF project page. They're hosting the site so they can advertise with it, but if SF hosts it, they can't advertise as well. Hopefully. . . and I like the trick :-) wish it would take the ads away completely for everyone LOL, but not yet.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: