Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Wireless Keyboard/Mouse in RF Environment  (Read 1990 times)
WB2EOD

Ignore
« on: October 06, 2010, 07:05:27 AM »

To reduce the "rat's nest" between the radio, computer and everything else, I am considering a wireless keyboard/mouse. 
My concern is the possibility of transmitter RF interfering with the wireless link
Does anybody have any experience with this sort of arrangement?
Is any one brand less prone to interference than another?

Radio room is in the basement of a two-story house
Antennas are on the roof (about 35 feet above ground)
HF power barefoot is 100 watts, (600 watts with the AL-811H running). 
Maximum 2 meter/440 power is 100 watts 

AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 04:45:12 AM »

I have been using a wireless Logitech keyboard/mouse combo for quite some time. I have fewer rf problems with the wireless combo than I did with the wired version.

The only time I do have a problem is on 15m when the batteries in the keyboard are almost completely dead. Just keep a set of spare batteries handy and you should not have any problems.

W1ITT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 06:13:56 PM »

I use a "Fentek" infrared wireless keyboard running my K1EL keyer and it's been bulletproof and reliable.  I run a kilowatt with open wire line line and link coupled tuner in the shack.  It's worthwhile to get rid of a few wires in the wireless station.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 12:33:10 PM »

The radio's RF isn't going to interfere with the IR or RF frequency used by the wireless mouse/keyboard because its well above the HF range. The RF could be coupled into the wired part of the system (most likely the device to USB connection) if you have "RF in the shack" problems. That's less likely to occur than with a wired keyboard/mouse because the cables should be much shorter.
KT4WO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »

"The radio's RF isn't going to interfere with the IR or RF frequency used by the wireless mouse/keyboard because its well above the HF range."

NOT TRUE...I have a wireless mouse(RF) that is on 27.???Mhz...try using the mouse
while on 10 meters!!!!...hahaha... cant do it..it jumps around.
Its the Microsoft mouse from Best Buy.... Go with IR..not RF

AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 10:03:05 AM »

Well, it's true for any "decent" RF mouse or keyboard. They commonly use frequencies in the 900 MHz range, not 11M CB  Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: