Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dual sound cards?  (Read 524 times)
N4OGW

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2009, 11:25:09 AM »

Any hints on getting dual sound cards to run stably in Win XP Pro (32 bit)?

I am trying to use two Bgears b-enspirer PCI sound cards in a system with a Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L motherboard.

Windows recognizes both sound cards and they seem to work just fine for a while. But the system also randomly freezes (no BSOD, just frozen). A hardware reset is necessary to restart it.

Tor
N4OGW
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2009, 05:05:03 PM »

Try different slots.

Some motherboards have IRQ conflicts between different PCI slots, and PCI cards that generate lots of traffic can cause issues.

Its very common for one or two PCI slots to actually share with the video card for instance, and putting something that is busy like a sound card, tv tuner card etc can cause issues.

So, try moving the cards into different slots.
N5YPJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2009, 05:36:31 PM »

Hmmm. I have two in my machine, one built into the mother board and a Sound Blaster, never any problem except deciding which gets which sound. I use a SignaLInk USB for ham digital work.
N4OGW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2009, 10:46:07 AM »

Thanks for suggestions. The problem may have been something else- around the same time I installed a second monitor, connected to the same video card (NVidia). I had a fairly old Nvidia driver- I installed the most recent one, and so far I haven't had any more freezes.

Tor
N4OGW
KI4OIU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2009, 11:04:28 AM »

Sounds like you nailed the problem down.  

I have found in the past that most windoze "freeze" issues comes down to the video card, or at least the video drivers.

I have run multiple sound cards for years (back to the ISA days) and have always made it a point to run 2 different cards - it's easier to differentiate between the 2 when dealing with windoze when they are made by different manufacturers.  

Same goes with Video cards and (in the old days) modems...I made it a point never to run identical hardware in the same box.

73's
KI4OIU - JC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: