Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Station Chair  (Read 6184 times)
AB7KT

Ignore
« on: October 10, 2010, 09:41:02 PM »

Sort of off the topic of radios/antennas/amps, but a critical part of the ham station.

I have been thinking for years about buying a nice chair for my hamshack. For years, I have been using these "office chairs" you buy at Sams Club, or Walmart or chain office stores. They leave a lot to be desired. They all break within a few years, they tilt back as soon as you sit in them making it difficult to sit up and still have back support. The stuff they are made from makes me sweat. In my present chair, I am good for an hour or two, then I have to get up for awile. I did a lot of operating last night and today and ended up with a backache.

I am looking for something of more quality. Something comfortable, yet something that I can sit up at the table and operate CW or write or whatever.

What are you guys using that you are happy with ?
Anybody have experience buying office furniture of a quality a little better than the cheapest stuff out there ?
What about chairs other than "office chairs": funiture made for comfort in the living room ?

I thought at one time about buying a Lazy Boy recliner and putting casters on it.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
K3GM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 07:25:13 AM »

If you want a good chair, try the Aeron chair by Herman Miller.  You won't find these at Staples or Walmart!  I sit in front of 2 large flat screens all day long, and my Aeron is great for this type of work.  I've haven't sprung for one in the shack yet.
K3AN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 09:49:40 AM »

Yes it is a critical part of the station. If you live in/near a large city, check out a used office furniture dealer. They should have a lot of models to choose from, including sturdy old steel-frame chairs like the one I use. The one that fit me best was quite dirty when I bought it, but cleanup and new seat covers made by my wife took care of that.

NN4RH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 11:46:55 AM »

For years, I have been using these "office chairs" you buy at Sams Club, or Walmart or chain office stores. They leave a lot to be desired. They all break within a few years, they tilt back as soon as you sit in them making it difficult to sit up and still have back support. The stuff they are made from makes me sweat. In my present chair, I am good for an hour or two, then I have to get up for awile. I did a lot of operating last night and today and ended up with a backache.

You need a higher quality chair.  

I am looking for something of more quality.

Yep.

What are you guys using that you are happy with ?

Anybody have experience buying office furniture of a quality a little better than the cheapest stuff out there ?

Cheap chairs don't last. I can't figure it out but my wife won't spend more than $80 on an office chair for her home office. At least once a year she has to buy a new chair from Walmart because they don't last. I think we've probably spend $400 on office chairs in the past few years. I ask her, why not just buy a nice, sturdy, $400 chair? She say she doesn't want to spend that  much. It's like spending $80 a year for five years and throwing away used chairs is better than spending $400 once for a chair that lasts 5 years.  Oh well.

The last chair I bought for my shack/home office was from Staples. It was about a $400 chair. It rated for extra heavy duty and has a steel base and frame. Rated for 350 pounds (I don't weigh that much - it just means the chair is sturdier construction) and is a big wider than a standard office chair, and has a an extra tall back. Height adjustment and it reclines, with a tension adjustment, or I can lock it so it doesn't recline, but no other adjustments (like the seat tilt that some of the "ergonomic" chairs come with these days - I don't like feeling like I'm going to slide out of the chair).  Adjustable height arm rests. Heavy duty fabric upholstery - fake leather and ballistic cloth and some of the lightweight covers just don't last. I've had it about five years now and it's still 100% and works well for me. The chair I had before that was similar. It lasted me 12 years until the height lift cylinder gave out.  

What about chairs other than "office chairs": funiture made for comfort in the living room ?

Sometimes I bring my FT-897 into the rec room set it on the side table and tune around while sitting in my LazyBoy recliner. It's not how I would normally operate, though.

I thought at one time about buying a Lazy Boy recliner and putting casters on it.

Or put your shack on a cart and add a length of coax.  Or set up an internet-controlled radio that you can control from an IPad.
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:33:29 PM »

The chair I use is comfortable. I fall asleep in it with my feet up on the desk all the time  Grin And I spend hours in it during the winter.
KB2WIG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2010, 02:17:49 PM »

" I ask her, why not just buy a nice, sturdy, $400 chair? She say she doesn't want to spend that  much "

Why are you trying to use logic? Its a waste of time.....  PM me and i'll tell you about the wife and I planting a tree.... ..

Chair hr is a Hamilton Cosco, OM.    Its older than I am

klc
KG6YV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 02:22:52 PM »

FYI, 

The Herman Miller Aeron is a very good, ergo-chair.  I worked for a company back in 1994 that bought one for every one of its 6000 employees.  I am sure they got a wholesale deal.  The chair costs $895.00 today for the same chair I had at work.  If I had that kind of moolah to spend on a chair I would buy one.  The chair is ventilated, the cushion material is that used in seats for F-15s and it molds to your shape as you sit in it.  Infinitely adjustable chair....

Greg
AB1KC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 03:39:01 PM »

The Aeron is an awesome chair!
Mine (at work) broke when a very large man sat in it.
It was 5 years old at the time. HM warranties them for 8 years no questions asked.
Sent it in and got it back good as new! They even paid for the shipping.
Awesome chair to spend a day in.
Bruce
AB1KC
AB7KT

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 05:08:06 PM »

Hey, thanks for all the replies.
I am looking.
$900 isn't that much to spend on a GOOD chair that might last the rest of your life. Most of us would spend that on a chair for the living room but then reason (I guess) that we don't deserve that kind of comfort in the shack.
I realized not long ago that I actually limit my time in the shack because I am uncomfortable. I go in and watch TV Sad rather than being in the shack. And I don't really like TV much at all.

What is the general opinion of a chair like the Herman Miller Aeron where the back doesn't come up to your head level ? I would imagine that while working in an office, lying back for extended periods of time is frowned upon (I don't work in an office, just a guess) but when listening around or engaging in a long ragchew on voice modes, I always thought it would be nice to be able to kick back and really relax.

I thought you said this was a weak signal mode ? I HAVE a weak signal and he still didn't hear me.

FWIW: My callsign is AB8KT
NJ3U

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 06:48:04 AM »

I use a office chair from Ikea,  bought it over 5 years ago and it's running strong !  I work from my home office so it gets more of a workout than most would endure.

Disclaimer:
Now I'm not a heavy weight or someone who sits on the chairs arms or has chair races around the house with the kids !

BTW, Herman Miller Aeron chairs are great, but for the 7-800 dollars each they ought to be !

KC2UML
Rory
W8VZM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2010, 05:38:54 PM »

I bought one of our chairs from work. The boss was replacing them for some unknown reason. No issues. Herman Miller Reaction. Adjusts in about a dozen ways. List was about $650 Bought it at auction in the office for $40. Best shack investment I've made. Look at office surplus stores I have seen ones like these for around $60.
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2010, 10:10:01 AM »

Do you have a Costco near buy? they have about 3 different models at the one here ranging in price of 200-500 dollars. They are not your cheap Walmart/Target ect chairs they are very well built and very comfortable. I bought one 3 years ago and my butt has thanked me since.
W0FM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2010, 02:44:22 PM »

A number of years ago I spent WAAAY too much money on an office chair from the "Better Back Store".  I hate it!  It was all adjustable hype!

But I spent so much for it that I can't make myself get rid of it.  DUH?

Terry. WØFM
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 10:09:56 PM »

I have a higher priced manager's chair I got from Staples (office supply).  It has a high back, an adjustable lumbar support, adjustable spring resistance to being tilted back--AND a locking feature on the height adjustment lever which will prevent the chair from tilting back.  It listed for $120, I got it for $50 on sale.

It's absolutely comfortable as an operating chair, and it doubles as a relaxation chair when I just want to listen to the airwaves or watch TV.
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2010, 08:19:52 PM »

Gee, out in my shack I've got an el cheapo office chair that the height adjustment broke and my buddy drilled a hole through it, put in a small nut and bolt, so it is locked at one height.  Its not bad, I can't spend a lot of time in it due to a wrecked lumbar region of my back,(awaiting surgery within a couple of months).  Now,my secondary operating position, which by the way is in my living room,I fondly refer to this area as my Lazy Boy HF station, even thouh my recliner is not a Lazy Boy.  My wife bought me a very nice double size recliner,(I'm big, but not that big, our 2 dogs like to keep me company while I'm in this chair.  I can't remember the mfg of this chair, but it is not cheap, it cost us $450 at Big Lots 3 years ago, I think they now list, if they still have them at around $350.  Be that as it may, it is a very comfortable chair, I can sit with my legs up, which takes some of the strain off my back, I can operate my TT Jupiter station, or my Yaesu FT-8900 for repeater work.  It is very nice to just sit back, relax, watch TV, what ever, or, if I'm really having a rough night and can't sleep on my Sleep Number mattress, I'll come out here kick all the way back, get as comfortable as I can, and spend the night in my chair.  Which of late I've probably spend 2-3 nights a week for the last 6 weeks sleeping in this chair. With my back issue I am very choosy about what kind of chair I get, I'm not cheap, but I can't fork over $500-$1000 for a chair right now.  Being disabled and on a nice, but not great fixed income we have to get what we can, so I look for the best deals in my area.  I live an hour and 15 minutes north of West Palm Beach, Fl. and about 2 hours south of Orlando, and on occasion do travel out of town to shop for items other than ham gear at AES Orlando.  I'm looking for a new office chair to go out back in my shack at my 756 ProIII station, but am putting everything on hold until after my surgery, which I hope will be within the next couple of months, still waiting on getting all the tests out of the way first.  Good luck in your search, , I'm sure you will find something that fits your needs.

73 de Mark
W3LZK
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: