Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ECHOLINK/WINDOWS 7 PROBLEM  (Read 3657 times)
N9EJS

Ignore
« on: October 12, 2010, 11:37:57 PM »

My friend's ECHOLINK/ULI BOARD was working just fine with his Windows XP.  Now since he has converted to Windows 7, audio coming in on ECHOLINK is good, but when it goes out on the air through ULI BOARD etc, it is attenuated has a light squeal on it.  He has tried adjusting all the settings on his rig and ECHOLINK to no good result.  I wonder if there is there something peculiar in Windows 7 that is causing the problem?
73 - George, N9EJS
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 01:31:58 AM »

Windows 7 has a feature that lets you run programs in different OS modes. Try right-clicking on the program icon and select 'Windows XP' mode.

Let us know how you make out.

KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 07:16:36 AM »

I run echolink on Windows 7 64-bit. I don't have any trouble at all with it. Perhaps it's a problem with the soundcard, or even the microphone.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:38:15 AM »

I personally asked Bill Gates to install code into Windows 7 that would blow up Echolink boards. That squeal is the precursor that lets you know it's about to happen! STAND BACK!
WA0TDA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2010, 01:33:55 PM »

One option might be to use a USB soundcard if the drivers for the existing soundcard are not compatible with the later versions of Windows.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »

The problem is very possibly with the Windows 7 drivers for the sound card and the sound card itself.  Don't forget that Microsoft is in the business of selling new software and therefore changes software without making it completely backwards compatible.  The same for hardware vendors.

For example, I run an older ATI video card.  There has just been a release of a driver--supposedly for that video card, but it causes problems with the display BECAUSE it isn't completely backward compatible.  The windows update site insists that it is, but it is not.

What may have to be done is the sound card driver that was being run under XP may have to be reinstalled in place of the newer driver that comes with Windows 7.  Uninstall the newer driver first, then install the older one by using the option to run the installation program under XP.  To do that, go to the folder/drive that has the driver files in it and right click on the installer.  That will bring up the option to install under an older OS.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: