Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ISO- Meter for Hammarlund HQ-120X  (Read 1220 times)
W7VO

Ignore
« on: October 13, 2010, 02:28:52 PM »

I just bought a "basement rescued" Hammarlund HQ-120X, and it is complete except the S-meter glass is broken into about three pieces. Sad

Anybody out there have a spare, or just the meter glass?

Also, this receiver is from the 1939-1940 era. What model and brand transmitters would you guys recommend to go with this if I wanted to set up a nice "period correct" 1940 station?

tnx;

Mike, W7VO
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2010, 03:42:56 PM »

About the glass ...

If you have the pieces to get the dimensions, go to a glass shop and have them cut you a new piece.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WB6DXR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 12:09:04 PM »

Hi Mike. I agree with W3LK. If you are concerned about taking the meter apart drop me a line. wb6dxr@gmail.com 73 Les
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 02:40:53 PM »

I agree with W3LK. A replacement glass can probably be made more easily than found.

However, I do have some old busted meters that may have good glass in them. What are the glass dimensions?

As for matching transmitters, there weren't many pre-WW2 transmitters made for hams - most hams of that era built their own. IMHO it would be fine to match the HQ-120X with a late 1940s - early 1950s transmitter such as a Johnson Viking 2.

What modes and bands are you interested in?

73 de Jim, N2EY
W7VO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 11:11:56 AM »

Thanks guys. I will try and take the meter apart and replace the glass. I talked to a glass shop and if I take them the pieces they can duplicate it.

I am interested in setting up a 1940 vintage CW only station. I already have a 1930s-40s vintage Signal brand straight key to go with it. A Valiant II (I used to have one back in the late 60's when you could not give them away....) is probably physically too big. I think something like a Ranger might be smaller.

There is a big ham swap I will be attending next weekend, I will see what I can find there.

Thanks again!

73!

Mike, W7VO

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 12:48:28 PM »

Good luck with the project.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 12:58:39 PM »

It is going to be hard to set up a 1940 CW station using a Valiant II or a Ranger.  These belong to the
1950's 1960's era.  If you truly want a 1940 CW transmitter you will find the choices rather slim.  In those days most transmitters were homebrew.  The few manufactured transmitters can be seen in ads in old handbooks or QST's, and CQ magazines.  Remember that WWII put the kabosh on amateur radio until 1945-46.  After the war many hams used surplus equipment that was available for a song.
If you just want a 1940 look alike, a Harvey Wells Bandmaster would be a pretty good choice.  They
used a lot of knobs and had a black krinkle finish, but worked pretty well and were bandswitching.
Good Luck
Allen
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 07:55:15 PM »

Keep your eyes open for maybe a Lysco Transmaster or a Meissner Signal Shifter.
Not quite as old as 1940. Probably late 40's, but they would be a good match for
the 120, especially the Lysco.

Bill W4XK
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: