Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SPE 1K-FA Solid State Amplifier  (Read 1776 times)
K4ZMV

Ignore
« on: October 15, 2010, 12:25:21 PM »

The 1K-FA amplifier has been found to have a T/R relay switching speed limitation of 15 ms.  In other words, your exciter must not switch faster than 15 ms.  There is no indication of this switching speed limitation in any of the literature on SPE amplifiers or in the manual.  I found this out because my K3 was switching at 8 ms and the T/R relay started sticking (not releasing to receive).  The amp has been at SteppIR's for a month now, waiting for an upgrade kit from SPE.  Supposedly, newer amps have the upgrade and this is no longer a problem.  I purchased the amp in December, 2009.  One ought to get better support than this for a $4000 amplifier.
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 01:12:21 PM »

Should have bought an Ameritron instead of this fancy lad amp.
K4ZMV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 01:15:24 PM »

Heck, I could have bought TWO Ameritron amps.  I got a QRO HF-2500DX and I couldn't be happier.  I'll keep the 1K-FA to use on 6 Meters.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 06:30:22 PM »

I bought a new BMW touring mc in 2000.

When I brought it into the dealership for the first service I asked them to do a "tune-up" on it cause it had a sever hesitation problem and to recalibrate the speedo cause it was around 10MPH high around 70MPH.

The dealership pointed out that one cannot tune up modern computer controlled engines.  That was a well documented problem, there was a defective "program" in the computer chip.  And, the speedo was designed to read high.  All I had to do was multiply the indicated speed by .9 to get the actual speed!

There wasn't any way to make the speedo accurate;  BMW had a new computer chip to take deal with the hesitation during hot WX; it took 11-13 months to get the replacement part.  Everyone who complained to BMW North America got the same indifferent, cold shoulder treatment.

I'd be calling them and whomever I bought the amp from asking for them to please get your amp back to you now--the bands are opening up, and especially because there are 4 new countries on the air NOW!

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: