Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tubular capacitor in HW-101?  (Read 4941 times)
KB8ASO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 01:52:49 PM »

Recaping is the best way to restore any older rig that uses paper caps.  Many parts are made of unobtanium and may be damaged by "trying it" with the old parts in place.
Randy AB9GO

You replace components without any evidence indicating the components need to be replaced yet you say you are not shot gunning component replacement. I'm sorry but you are shot gunning component replacement and that is very poor practice. How do you determine when a component should be replaced? How do you determine when to replace an electrolytic capacitor? Because the components are old? If that's your method then that is very poor troubleshooting and repair practice!

Holy crap. Have you ever heard of re-capping? Which is essentially what I am doing? There are loads of websites on this. I have not troubleshot this. I was simply re-capping first. Read the initial question. The question was about a cap and if it needs replacement, like electrolytics. It said nothing about whether it being bad. That is very poor practice? Re-capping is a bad practice?

What steps were taken to determine the VFO is actually not oscillating?
The owner told me as such. It was his restore project and he gave to me. He even supplied me with a spare VFO. Are you following the thread?

You are going to rebuild a VFO without any troubleshooting or taking any steps to determine "why" the VFO is not working? Why?

Because the owner told me such. Which is why he supplied me a spare. It appears he had already troubleshot that part of the rig.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: