Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New to HF and shocked by what I hear  (Read 19749 times)
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: April 07, 2012, 10:20:14 PM »

I'm afraid there will always be some potty-mouthed individuals on the air-waves. 

After almost abandoning Amateur Radio in the early 1980's when I was informed, in no uncertain terms that I was not to use the local 2M Repeater again......

And why did this happen?
VK3DWZ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2012, 01:21:02 AM »

Hello, WODV:

I was not going to re-tell the "Repeater" incident here, but here goes.  After being licensed for just three weeks, I was told in no uncertain terms, both over the air and via telephone that this repeater was a "closed" one and I was to cease using it forthwith.  Now Repeaters in Australia are open to all Amateurs and no individual, or group, can choose to limit  the operation of a Repeater.  Nevertheless, the group that owned the local repeater had chosen to limit use of the Repeater to a handful of Amateurs, and that was that...no arguements.  All others were actively chased away!  

So, here I was with brand-new 2M equipment and no way of using it except when well away from our QTH.  I was not a happy camper, I can tell you.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 10:56:14 PM by VK3DWZ » Logged
K8CPA

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: April 14, 2012, 05:40:46 AM »

Just an FYI....

There's always been a "bad boy" element to Ham Radio. There is a CD floating around that is called "The Best of 75"; Which has recordings on it from back in the 1960's. You know during "the AM/SSB wars" days. You be shocked to hear the stuff that went on. Although, it was quite tame, compared to the stuff you hear on there now.

The 80's were terrible. Especially during the 3.895 war says. Not to mention the stuff you used to hear on 14.313 back in the 1980's.

However, the stuff on 3840 at night, really makes me sad. How that goes on, is beyond me.

73 de Chuck K8CPA

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: April 14, 2012, 12:12:47 PM »

....They could've kept a lot of these "bozos" out of the HF bands if they had kept the morse code requirement for licensing....

That's a load of horse pucky.  All too many of the people who were required to take the code test (and who passed it) are the worst operator-abusers of the ham bands that there are.

....If morse code isn't going to come back and there's no enforcement forthcoming, they ought to make everyone re-take the test on rules before a license can be renewed. I know some hams that said they would leave ham radio if they were required to re-take any portion of the test.

And that would solve...nothing.  Even if operators were required to retake a rules and regulations test, anyone who believes that that would get rid of even a small part of the lids on the bands has been hitting the sauce too often and probably has rotted their brain away.
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2012, 03:48:26 PM »

The First Amendment applies to all speach, not just political arguements.  It simply is not true what was said below about the First Amendment to the Constitution. 

KD8Z

Enough with the free speech argument.  It does not apply to what we say on the radio.

The First Amendment's free speech clause in the US Constitution only prevents the federal government from censoring political discussions that were not allowed in most other countries.  

Years ago, as a teenager just "stretching my wings" by being as obnoxious and crude as I could be to most adults lasted until I said the wrong thing to my father one time; when I recovered from the headache and awful taste remaining in my mouth, I realized that comments, verbal or written, have consequences, intended or not.  It is only because "the law" frowns upon one person wrongfully hitting another more than it frowns on crude language that a lot of people don't physically stop one person's offensive language directly.

Steve
k3rmx
(and basic, everyday lawyer at the end of a long week)
KD8Z

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: April 16, 2012, 03:52:30 PM »

Sorry for all the boo boos, the program was frozen and I got tired of waiting.

The First Amendment applies to all speach, not just political arguements.  It simply is not true what was said below about the First Amendment to the Constitution. 

KD8Z

Enough with the free speech argument.  It does not apply to what we say on the radio.

The First Amendment's free speech clause in the US Constitution only prevents the federal government from censoring political discussions that were not allowed in most other countries.  

Years ago, as a teenager just "stretching my wings" by being as obnoxious and crude as I could be to most adults lasted until I said the wrong thing to my father one time; when I recovered from the headache and awful taste remaining in my mouth, I realized that comments, verbal or written, have consequences, intended or not.  It is only because "the law" frowns upon one person wrongfully hitting another more than it frowns on crude language that a lot of people don't physically stop one person's offensive language directly.

Steve
k3rmx
(and basic, everyday lawyer at the end of a long week)
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2012, 01:42:34 PM »

In the past you could tune across the bands and hear so many great conversations, now that has largely disappeared.  Ham radio has become rather clinical. The hams who earned their license the hard way just do what they  have to do
on the bands and turn off as quickly as possible. Its what they hearing now on the air  which has broken  their great respect and nostalgia of what  a great hobby ham radio once was. All regulars on the air now seem to be a bitter people with  agendas who like to spew hate. You also get the impression that after tuning  around that everyone on ham radio these days has IQ of 0 and  has just been released from  drug rehab! Unfortunately the trash and stupid people have been let in and there is no way of correcting the mistake of incentive licensing.

I always wonder when society will decide that Doctor, Lawyers, engineering and other drop their standards so that  it can be easy for stupid and other undesirable  people to enter these profession. If it is unacceptable for these profession was this prank allowed to be pulled on the hobby of ham radio? This also reminds me of driving standards for certain races of people who should not be on the road!

If ham radio wanted to attract interested parties it would have been a safer bet to exempt anyone with a  Degree in Electrical, Electronic or communication engineering from having to sit the test. A simple regulation test would have been all that was needed for engineers. Ham radio would have had a huge influx of competent people if this approach was taken. Lets face it anyone who gets past 1 year of a engineering degree is technical more competent than brain dead CB'ers
who have no interest in learning anything technical. They just love making noises,, forcing what they learned on  the CB band onto others and contribute very little to the hobby.
G3RZP

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2012, 03:41:33 PM »

Some years ago now, I was in a usual daily 3.7 MHz SSB QSO with the late G6JP and a couple of other UK guys. The conversation got into the technicalities of tube PA stages and so on - it got a bit deep with references to Fourier transforms on transfer characteritsics and so on. A guy called in and asked, tongue in cheek, ' Are you guys licenced to talk about all this highly technical stuff ?' He was pointing out in his way that technical discussions were now so rare that most amateurs had no hope of following them - he did join in with very relevant comments, but it made it very obvious that real technical discussions were getting very rare indeed.

Admittedly, some fifteen years ago, I was called by an Italian on 20m who wanted to discuss in great detail a paper on receiver performance that I had presented at a professional conference in the US some ten years before that....

So you never know what interesting conversations can happen on the HF bands. I once had a 90m minute QSO with a guy in Iowa talking  about railroad train braking systems and the differences  between the UK and the US: he was locomotove 'engineer' (we call them drivers') and secretary of the local union branch.

Another time on 20m was with a guy mobile in Ohio: he'd gotten lost on the freeway and had not taken the  correct exit on the interstate. With the help of my US road atlas, I was able to sort him out........so there are still great things. But it doesn't seem so common now. That's another reason i tend to stay on CW.
W0DV

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: April 22, 2012, 07:02:26 PM »

In the past you could tune across the bands and hear so many great conversations, now that has largely disappeared.  Ham radio has become rather clinical. The hams who earned their license the hard way just do what they  have to do
on the bands and turn off as quickly as possible. Its what they hearing now on the air  which has broken  their great respect and nostalgia of what  a great hobby ham radio once was. All regulars on the air now seem to be a bitter people with  agendas who like to spew hate. You also get the impression that after tuning  around that everyone on ham radio these days has IQ of 0 and  has just been released from  drug rehab! Unfortunately the trash and stupid people have been let in and there is no way of correcting the mistake of incentive licensing.
Oh bull, Ham Radio is still great. I'm using HF almost everyday, many great conversations, interesting topics, fun nets to participate in. Don't start in with the "hams who earned their license"  crap. HR is still a great hobby, I QSO with interesting people almost everyday, from all walks of life. I have QSL cards from priests, pastors, airline pilots, surgeons, musicians, physicists, factory workers, truck drivers, you name it. HR is far from dull. It is in great shape. No one wants to read the negative, untruthful garbage that you spew. YOU are the problem with HR, and others like you that whine like little girls. With every change the HR hobby has went through in the many years that it has been around, there has always been a few whiners that complained about the change, no matter what it was. Thats the way it was, is,  and thats the way it will always be. You are just one of those guys that has a difficult time with change. You are frustrated over the changes, and you feel like you are being left out in the cold, so you hate everyone that is involved with the change, because you can't adjust.

Get out of the hobby if you have such a low opinion of it, lol. No one wants to hear it.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: