Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SWR/WATT METER...Daiwa or Palstar????  (Read 4260 times)
K1JK

Ignore
« on: October 20, 2010, 02:47:41 PM »

hi gang
looking to buy swr/watt meter...
Daiwa-cn-101 ,,or  Palstar-wm150
any comments on these meters
running 600-700 watts  ssb max output

thanks
jeff k
KS2G

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2010, 05:07:46 PM »

No direct experience with either of those, but --in general-- I find "cross-needle" meters difficult to read.

Take a look at the Autek WM-1
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/139

It's a bit more expensive, but far easier to read -- separate meters for SWR and Power.
Also, remote "head" so coax can connect off your operating desk.
And not "setting" needed -- computers SWR automatically.

Mel - KS2G
AH6RR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2010, 11:36:43 AM »

I use the Palstar PM2000AM Mobile SWR/Watt meter and the reason I picked that one is that it has a remote sensor. It works perfect and is built very well. I had 2 Autek WM-1's and both had died on me so I researched what was available a chose the Palstar it has Peak/Average and Peak Hold it has 300W and 2000W scales Cross needle meter that works 1.8 to 60mHZ. Worth the money and then some.   
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2010, 11:57:41 AM »

hi gang
looking to buy swr/watt meter...
Daiwa-cn-101 ,,or  Palstar-wm150
any comments on these meters
running 600-700 watts  ssb max output

thanks
jeff k

As stated above check out the Autek WM 1. I use one and I like it.

It has dual meters, not the cross hair meter. Computes the SWR automatically. No switches to flip or calibration required.

Back lite meters too and remote sensor.

PEP or average, 20-200-2000 watt scales.
W7RUE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 06:13:01 PM »

I use a Daiwa CN-801 for the same HF wattage levels. My Palstar tuner uses the same type of meter as the Daiwa and they seem to mirror each other for accuracy. You will probably be well served by both. Rue W7RUE 
AI4HO

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2010, 08:50:24 PM »

Jeff,

I have the Daiwa CN-101L, and I also have an MFJ-826B digital SWR/Watt meter.  The only advantage I can find with the MFJ over the Daiwa is the fact that it is digital, other than that they are pretty similar.  They will both measure up to 1.5KW, I have my 101L here in the front room,in line with my Ten Tec Jupiter, MFJ-962D tuner, and the Daiwa 101L.  Personally, I like the 101L over my digital MFJ meter, not to say that I don't like or don't use the MFJ, I do, it is on my ProIII station, with my Palstar AT3K tuner and its SWR/Watt meter, the MFJ is as accurate as the meter in my Palstar tuner, which would be the meter you can purchase separately from Palstar.  For me I just prefer the Daiwa here in the front room, it is less prone to interference unlike the MFJ meter, the 101L is quite accurate, and very sturdy, you could do a lot worse, but for the cash you are going to invest in one you want it to be as accurate as can be, yet not break the bank.  I found my Daiwa at an SK estate sale I was helping with and scored it for $50, not a bad investment, it is definitely a keeper, and it is not hard to read, I like cross needle meters, kinda gives you all the info you need in one swell foop........er I mean one fell swoop.  Best of luck on your choices, you wont go wrong by choosing one or da other.

73 de Mark
W3LZK
K1JK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 06:45:04 AM »

thanks gang for input
jeff k
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: