Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 60 meters noise level  (Read 554 times)
G4REK

Ignore
« on: October 21, 2010, 03:32:33 AM »

I've got a noise level on 60 meters (5 megs)  of S9....i do not think its tv timebase at that frequency but maybe wrong.......have tried switching everything off in the house apart from the radio of course....is 5 megs a noisy band ?? ....
  really annoying as it takes a really strong signal for me to work anyone. any ideas anyone.....       

JIM..............

WA3SKN

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2010, 07:54:20 AM »

Atmospheric noise on 60 meters is about the same as 80 or 40 meters.  But it sounds like you have a local noise source in the area that your antenna is picking up.
So what noise level do you see on 80 and 40?  Is it the same during the day and night?

-Mike.
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 05:43:13 AM »

Of course we are assuming the noise goes away when you disconnect the antenna, right?  Also, have you run the rig from battery power also and shut the house off?  You can use a lawnmower battery, a lantern battery...  This is important to do.  Shutting everything off in the house except the rig room doesn't always figure these things out... I had a problem with the p/s for the rig that I couldn't figure out until I did the battery thing, plus the router was in this room also and I missed finding all of those birdies cause I had that breaker on.

If the noise is still there without an antenna, it is some house or power supply problem.  If it is there when you have only the battery, it is noise in the area that isn't your house (neighbor?)...

Also, always check at different times of the day, if it is gone during parts you can start narrowing down there (sometimes it is a neighbor watching tv 6-10pm in the living room)...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: