Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Morse Code as Language  (Read 10184 times)
N5XM

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 09:41:24 AM »

This is a great subject.  My first thought is that the way everyone's approach to communications is idosyncratic.  Some of that can be affectation, but some of it must be brain wiring and differences in language skills.  Not everyone's CW skills are the same.  Let's also remember that experience is very important, as well as age.  Take two intelligent CW ops, one 28 years old, the other 60.  Sure, the 28 year old could have a better grasp of language, but it seems the 60 year old op has had 32 extra years to develop his/her language abilities, if both are equally serious in improving their skills, and I don't mean just CW skills. 

You can't legislate excellence.  People are motivated differently.  Not everyone is as serious about this stuff as we are. 
W0XI

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2010, 07:49:01 AM »

This is a great subject.  My first thought is that the way everyone's approach to communications is idosyncratic.  Some of that can be affectation, but some of it must be brain wiring and differences in language skills...

Agree. Another way of saying that is that folks bring different sets of interests or behaviors to any activity. Yet two must find some common ground to communicate. I like deriving equations I see in technical articles or texts and am often diverted to that rather than just using the equation! Guess I like the puzzle in it. Surely that's why I'm digging into the why about "following behind" (studies on short term memory) as much as practicing code tapes via NuMorse, RufzXP, etc. Some would say why bother; just use the tool. Hi. 73, Phil, W0XI
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 08:58:19 PM »

Here's a link:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yza6bjQ2_mc
to a very interesting series of seven YouTube clips about how the Japanese syllabic language developed (from a Western perspective) and how it evolved into "wabun", or "Kana Code".  Each segment is around 8-10 minutes long, so the whole show is right around an hour.

Good historical information, and thanks to the G7 (I think it was) who posted the links on QRZ.

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
WI2D

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2011, 03:38:10 PM »

Carlo Consoli, IK0YGJ, has a good analysis of CW from the linguistic perspective in his book “Zen and the Art of Radiotelegraphy”.

73!
Andrey - WI2D
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: