Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Shack Battery Question  (Read 1691 times)
WB0KSL

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2010, 06:41:17 AM »

No, not Radio Shack (I know they got batteries!!!).  This weekend I was doing some testing and moving things around in the shack.  I wound up leaving the power buss connected to the Optima Yellow Top backup battery (six months old, expensive).  Short story is that the stuff that was left turned on exceeded the charger rate and the voltage under light load (1 or 2 amps) this morning was down to 10.7.  The rigs that wee rconnected had powered down.  Looks like I have run the battery flat, or nearly so.  Yes, Yes, I know I could/should have had a voltage sensor/disconnect in the line.

What are the odds that the battery is toast?  I know this was NOT A GOOD THING.  I have it on the charger, and can take it in to Batteries Plus for a load test, but it is heavy!  Opinions?

73 de John
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 06:49:42 AM »

A one-time discharge to 10.7V shouldn't hurt the battery unless it wasn't in good shape to begin with. I'd disconnect all load and let it fully recharge.

WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:51:13 PM »

Pulled the battery off line as suggested.  It's charging now... as suggested.  We'll see what happens.

73 de John WB0KSL
W7KB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 10:17:50 AM »

I have an Optima Yellow Top D34/78 55ah battery and I was told by Optima tech support that as long as discharge voltage does not drop below 10 volts this will not do any harm to battery.Every Monday morning,I make it a point to charge my battery whether it needs it or not.I have had mine for over a year now with no problems.If you are cycling it down to that level regularly then recharge it more often.Otherwise set a day aside once a week on schedule and keep it "topped off" with your smart charger.73.Dennis/W7KB.
WB0KSL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 05:53:58 AM »

I put the battery on a good quality charger and the battery came back.  So far, things look good.  I now have a West Mountain Super Powergate in the system, and plan to add a PowerGuard as well.  That should minimize the idiot factor in the future.  Thanks for the replies.

73 de John - WB0KSL
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: