Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Obtaining a 2x1 vanity...is there a long wait  (Read 2274 times)
KC9RCG

Ignore
« on: October 25, 2010, 11:50:46 AM »

I am in Illinois and my region seems to show some 2x1's available. But, does it take a long time to get a sign like this? Is there a long waiting list? I know vanityHQ gives alot of info, but I was not sure how long a wait is required.

I am new and learning of this hobby of mine...

thanks ahead of time....
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 03:36:28 PM »

There's no "waiting list."  It's first-come, first-served based on application date.  Now what that means these days is that valuable calls, like 1x2 and 2x1 usually have multiple applications waiting for them on the first day they become available, usually at the end of a 2 year waiting period from when someone else gave it up.

A random winner is drawn from all the applications received for a given call on that day.   

To get a 2x1 in a lot of districts you have to keep applying for calls you want so that the application is received on the first day they become available and then you need to get lucky, or you need to study one of the ways to game the system.  There are things you can do with multiple applications and "harvesting" of calls from deceased hams whose license term has not yet expired, although I think there are soon to be (if not already) rules to prevent multiple applications on a single day (increases your probability of 'winning the lottery.')

I don't know how bad it is in 9 land but I know that it can be pretty tough to successfully land a 1x2 or 2x1 in some of the more populous districts... but there's no waiting list.  You apply for what you want, and either you get it or you don't, and you just have to keep picking calls and keep applying.

You need to study the rules really well because there's zero chance of getting a call you want if you make a mistake...

I was lucky with my call.  When I got mine, it was pretty easy to get a 1x2 in W3-land, and I was the only application in on the first day it became available.  I don't know if it's like that any more. 

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 03:39:33 PM »

I've been wrong on other things, but I am pretty sure 2x1 calls are reserved for Extra Class licensees. As a General. you would be ineligible for one, even as a vanity call.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 05:14:46 PM »

I am pretty sure 2x1 calls are reserved for Extra Class licensees. As a General. you would be ineligible for one, even as a vanity call.

You are correct, sir! 1x2 and 2x1 calls, plus 2x2 calls starting with A, are reserved for Extras only.

73 de Jim, N2EY

(not a vanity call)
KC9RCG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 05:54:18 AM »

I'm taking the extra in December. That is why I am asking regarding a waiting list. I figure if I do intend to do the 1x2 or 2x1, I might as well check with others on what to do ahead of time.
NR4C

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 08:37:08 AM »

Even if there were a 'waiting' list.  You would not be eligible to apply until you meet all the requirements for the call you want.

Suggestion, check the box and have the FCC assign a new sequential call when you take the test.  you'll get a 2X2 beggining with "A".  If you like it, you got your call for free.  If not, go for a vanity.  Note that once your application is in for a call, there is a 17 day hold until the lottery drawing.  After the selection, the call is issued.  And you renewal period starts over.

...bc
N3DF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »

I'm waiting for a "Law and Order" where a new Extra kills a ham with a 1x2 for his callsign.

Neil N3DF
W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 09:37:52 AM »

I'm waiting for a "Law and Order" where a new Extra kills a ham with a 1x2 for his callsign.

Impractical Niel, UNLESS the killer is a relative, then it would work IF he/she can do the perfect crime.

Ed
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 11:15:57 AM »

Let's see...the judge will be a new ham who's been through the 4-hour training session and has just "earned" his Extra.  He's also covetous of the same 1x2 callsign.... I see a golden opportunity for screenwriting here, folks!

Pat K7KBN

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
K7MH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 10:07:31 PM »

Let's see...the judge will be a new ham who's been through the 4-hour training session and has just "earned" his Extra.  He's also covetous of the same 1x2 callsign.... I see a golden opportunity for screenwriting here, folks!

And the jury is a bunch of volunteer examiners. Grin
K3ZL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2010, 06:09:12 AM »

Take a look at AE7Q's call sign database.  It is updated daily and has excellent advice on obtaining a vanity call, as well as all calls currently available.  There are not may 2X1 or 2X2 calls available, but they do come available from time to time.  AE7Q is one of the better ways to keep up with what's available.  Good luck.
KC
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 10:03:57 AM »

You're not eligible, Mike.  Upgrade your license to extra class first.
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 11:21:41 AM »

Yes, I am just heartbroken that I cannot get AE4EE. My therapist told me to send hateful letters to the ARRL.

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: