Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Keep e-Ham as it is  (Read 5082 times)
KB8UUZ

Ignore
« on: October 27, 2010, 10:26:55 AM »

Now that ARRL has had time to fix all the glitches (but many remain) on their web site, I find myself not going there as much as I did in the past. Also, for some of us that have s-l-o-w internet dial up the 'new' ARRL site is painfully slow (yes,  even in NE Ohio some of us still cannot get DSL or cable internet!).

e-Ham is still rock solid & I go here many times during the day.

It's nice to see, easy to navigate, no nonsense, not crowded with "Buy Me" ads, etc. e-Ham is just GREAT!
- PLEASE - do not change it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tnx & 73
KB8UUZ
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 10:41:55 AM »

Thanks for the kind words.

While we are working on updating the code that make the site work we are going to try to keep page load times down while making the site easier to use and navigate.  Most of the work / changes should not be obvious to the users - but it will make the site easier for us to work on and maintain.   We are still in the early stages of this work so I do not have a time frame for when users might see beta testing of this work but I am hopeful it will be sooner than later.

George
K5TR
W3JKS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2010, 08:17:48 AM »

Now, if you wouldn't mind, would you please go to Newington and teach them how a ham internet service should be done?   Grin

Despite all of the hoopla regarding the League's "revamped" web site, the technical information side of the site is composed of the same old "classic" (meaning OLD) articles as before.

The product reviews alone make eHam worth the modest fee.

john W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAM3RE/AAA9SL
ZENKI

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 12:39:38 PM »

I agree, the Eham web page navigation  around the site is perfect. The ARRL's new web site is the worst  web that I have ever visited ever. Its like trying to find the end of a piece of spaghetti  in a bowl of spaghetti. Whats even worst is that its own search engine cant even find important sections of their own web page. Try and find "product reviews"  or additional files from QST articles! Its just about  impossible too find anything the index  is so useless. You can clearly see  that a "committee" designed the ARRL's web page rather than someone with with clear and practical thinking that places a high priority on what people want from the web page. As someone else commented, its first priority is too be in your face selling you something regardless of what  you really want to do on the web page.

The RSGB web page is another example of a clean web page where its easy to find your way in and out of.

A KISS web page like Eham is popular because it puts the most popular aspects of the web page right in front of you where you can
grab or read it immediately. Its almost a instant snapshot of everything thats happening in ham radio on one page.

As someone one said, if you cant explain what you trying to do in one page or in one  paragraph, you either dont really know what you are about or what it is that you want to explain, you are confused yourself. The ARRL's web page does not know what it wants to be.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2010, 04:30:07 AM »

Also, for some of us that have s-l-o-w internet dial up the 'new' ARRL site is painfully slow (yes,  even in NE Ohio some of us still cannot get DSL or cable internet!).

Here is the quickest way to get dsl/cable internet even if it is not offered in your area.

1 - sign up for a two or more year contract with a satellite internet provider
2 - wait about 2 weeks, the cable/fios/dsl guys will be installing on your street

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2010, 12:14:13 PM »

Have you ever seen the prices off Satellite internet?

Its $60 per month for a pathetic 1mb connection and then they have the balls to limit you to 200mb per day, exceed that and your speed gets throttled down to Dialup speeds for the rest of the day  Angry
I was a hughes net customer for 3 years and I can tell you first hand that the service Sucks!  BTW it costs $200 for the equipment and the thing does not work well when it's raining.

Your statement about waiting 2 weeks for Fios to come knockin, I am not sure if you meant that as a Joke but I can assure you that signing up for Hughes net is not going to cause Fios to come out to boonyville and spend a million dollars to wire up 30 or 40 houses Wink

Here is the quickest way to get dsl/cable internet even if it is not offered in your area.

1 - sign up for a two or more year contract with a satellite internet provider
2 - wait about 2 weeks, the cable/fios/dsl guys will be installing on your street

AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 01:00:28 PM »

Have you ever seen the prices off Satellite internet?

Its $60 per month for a pathetic 1mb connection and then they have the balls to limit you to 200mb per day, exceed that and your speed gets throttled down to Dialup speeds for the rest of the day  Angry
I was a hughes net customer for 3 years and I can tell you first hand that the service Sucks!  BTW it costs $200 for the equipment and the thing does not work well when it's raining.

Your statement about waiting 2 weeks for Fios to come knockin, I am not sure if you meant that as a Joke but I can assure you that signing up for Hughes net is not going to cause Fios to come out to boonyville and spend a million dollars to wire up 30 or 40 houses Wink

I had HughesNet for 2 years other than the 200mb/day issue it was not really that bad. I tended to use it more between 2am & 6am local anyway, data xfer at that time did not count towards the 200mb.

What happened in my area, was that Bell Atlantic had laid the fiber, and it sat dark for over 10 years. About 2 weeks after I finally got Hughes to install the sat dish, Verizon came around and started to connect homes up or Fios. When the Hughes contract was up, I switched.

K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 05:57:47 PM »

.....Your statement about waiting 2 weeks for Fios to come knockin, I am not sure if you meant that as a Joke but I can assure you that signing up for Hughes net is not going to cause Fios to come out to boonyville and spend a million dollars to wire up 30 or 40 houses Wink

If you're waiting for FIOS, you may have a long wait indeed.  I live in a small city and was told last year that the trunk optical cabling installation for FIOS was going to be started in a couple of years.  BUT---Now that the phone company (Verizon) has seen that FIOS still has distribution problems that cable TV (Comcast) has got solved, such as the inability to get two different on demand shows feeding into the same home without a lot of signal degradation, Verizon has pushed the running of the trunk lines to "in the future".  

Right now, they're pushing their DSL/phone with DirecTV package to anyone who will sit still for it.  But FIOS?  Well--let's just say it isn't coming very soon--and it may not be coming at all.  And whatever you have to say about Comcast, their internet connection speeds are four times what Verizon offers with their DSL package, and they're getting faster all the time.  Add to that their home phone service is surpassing the same type Verizon phone service, and you can see that Verizon is still a distant second to Comcast in most respects.

Addition---
No, I don't work for Comcast, and I think their prices are too high, but the plain and simple truth of the matter is they're the company that do as they say they're going to, and don't claim that they can do what they can't.  They also have the fastest internet connection available to home users without paying business rates (as for a T-1 connection).
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 06:04:51 PM by Chris J. Smith » Logged
KC9MXC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2010, 08:48:24 AM »

I really like eHam.net and check it numerous times a day for the classifieds and forums.  The site is quick and the design is clean and really easy to navigate.

I too am extremely disappointed with the "new" ARRL website, especially the website search.  Put in a keyword and get back tons of articles that are not sorted by anything, not even the date.  Come on ARRL, is this a search result from 2008 or 1998 or 1988???  What a waste of time and what a waste of the member's money for this crappy search engine.

I tried to talk to them about this very issue at Dayton last year and was basically told that if I didn't like it, then don't use it.  What a bunch of arrogant you know whats!!

So keep up the extremely good work on eHam and this website should be a case study for the ARRL to see how it should be done!
WA9YOZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »

I'm using my 20 year old dynosaur Amiga computer A-1200 with dial up and no problemo.
Tony
wa9yoz
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: