Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: PSK MACRO QSO  (Read 5058 times)
VE3FMC

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2010, 05:42:36 PM »

Now I know why I do not operate PSK31 much anymore.

I just had a 3 minute QSO with a fellow Canadian ham and he basically sent his side of the QSO with Macros.

He did not answer any questions I asked him in regards to how long he has been operating digital. Did not answer my question on how he liked his FT-450.

In short, MACRO QSO other than to add in my name and to say thanks for the QSO. Roll Eyes

I quickly QSY'd to the 80 meter Olivia frequency and started calling CQ.

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »

But _I_ would have answered all those questions . . . <g>   And I _do_ work PSK31 from time to time.

It's the luck of the draw.  We run a huge random party-line.

Charles
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2010, 03:08:08 AM »

Oh ya and the standard EQSL is good.

Which I use but since I failed to log the short QSO that Eqsl will not be sent.

Why is it that some guys have nothing to say when they get on the air? Is life that boring for some people?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2010, 06:40:28 AM »

I use LOTS of macros on digital modes and I have a special "NOTX" macro just for rag-chewing:

<CALL> <CALL> de <MYCALL> <MYCALL>
btu <CALL> de <MYCALL> kn <RX>

* - As I receive the other operator's comments, I type in my comments here - When he turns the contact back to me, I simply click on my TX Button and reply, without having to expose my shaky typing skills!
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 12:03:14 PM »

I use LOTS of macros on digital modes and I have a special "NOTX" macro just for rag-chewing:

* - As I receive the other operator's comments, I type in my comments here - When he turns the contact back to me, I simply click on my TX Button and reply, without having to expose my shaky typing skills!

And that is fine, at least you answer and make comments. I use macros to call CQ only. I have no macros made up for station info etc.

But when the other op does not even bother to answer a question then you just know it is a CANNED REPLY. Distasteful in my opinion, especially when it is a ham from your own province.

DX I can understand the macros, but not within North America.
KE5GAE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2010, 03:31:31 PM »

And that is fine, at least you answer and make comments. I use macros to call CQ only. I have no macros made up for station info etc.

But when the other op does not even bother to answer a question then you just know it is a CANNED REPLY. Distasteful in my opinion, especially when it is a ham from your own province.

DX I can understand the macros, but not within North America.

I've only been doing this a short time, but I've learned that there are lots of different types of people doing PSK31.  Besides DX, there are working in the US for WAS, where a quick exchange of macros may be all they are interested in.  What about in Canada?  Is there any award for working all the provinces?  I'm actually trying to do that, whether there is an award or not.  So if I see a Canadian call from a province I haven't worked -- did BC just the other day -- I'm happy with a brief exchange of macros.

Then there are those who want to chew the rag.  It is usually clear who they are.

Your case strikes me as between those two extremes.  If I was just wanting your QSL, I might not do anything to prolong the QSO, but I wouldn't be rude and just ignore your questions.  It depends, somewhat, on who initiated the contact.  If you answered his CQ, then I think you need to let the other guy dictate whether the QSO goes long or short.  When I want to cut a QSO short, I will say "I will 73 on the next over."  That signals my intention that I'm not interested in a rag chew.  If the other guy answered your CQ, then he should have been more receptive to what you wanted to get out of the QSO.

I think it is all about not being rude, and having a bit of a live and let live attitude about it all.  Right now, with the novelty of it still fresh for me, I'm excited when I can log a new state or country, and move on to hunt for another one.  But I've had some long exchanges, too, where it was obvious that the other fellow just wanted to chat.  I am surprised by how old some of the guys are doing PSK31, and I think that is great.  And they seem to often be the ones who just want to chat.  I'm retiring this year -- so I'm no spring chicken (turn 64 next month) -- and I ran into a guy who got his license in the year I was born!  Another one was 93!  Man, I hope I'm able to do PSK31 when I'm that old, Lord willing that I live that long.  So I take the time to be respectful to the old fellows, and spend some time chatting with them.  Then my next QSO may well be a 3 minute exchange of macros, and I'm cool with that.

The golden rule is a good rule to live by when on the air.  (Not just then, either.)

To KG4RUL:  that looks like a very useful macro.  Thanks.

Basil
G0GQK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2010, 02:21:31 PM »

I can understand your concern in expecting that a fellow user in Canada would have a conversational response to a couple of questions but perhaps the chap is unable to type, or is a one finger keyboard pecker and felt unable to reply.

I know from reading the mail that users across the pond are more inclined to keyboarding than they are in Europe and that some don't use macros. Often this means that important information like a name or a county are not communicated and have to be requested, but if all the relevant information was entered and sent on a macro it would be transmitted first time, before the QSB took the contact away and into the ether.

As a collector of locator squares there is nothing more irritating than having to see the never ending list of the shack components manifest, even to the speed and capacity of the computer, and then seeing the station fade away and having to check later on QRZ whether it was a new county or locator square. But its just a hobby so its a case of "that's life baby "

Mel G0GQK
K4RKY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2010, 08:56:06 PM »

I do my original reply with macros but once I see it is a ragchew instead of  just a 599 and 73's I am quick to the keyboard (which I am not that good at) but I try. I have seen some ops that will cut off the qso if they realize one is using macros. But you are right the op should have been looking at the screen (which seems he wasn't) and answered the questions.

Rick ^i^
WI7B

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2010, 01:01:44 PM »

I actually believe that its an OM's capability to respond quickly or type properly.   Some OMs are slower than others, or never learned to type.  "Two fingers were enough for code, why not for PSK31?"  Macros make up this short-coming, but result in a loss of operator congeniality.

---* Ken
VE3FMC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2010, 02:53:00 PM »

I do my original reply with macros but once I see it is a ragchew instead of  just a 599 and 73's I am quick to the keyboard (which I am not that good at) but I try. I have seen some ops that will cut off the qso if they realize one is using macros. But you are right the op should have been looking at the screen (which seems he wasn't) and answered the questions.

Exactly, look at the screen. Just don't sit there and plug in macros.

The sad part is he sent an Eqsl and on it he put "Thanks for the great QSO"  Roll Eyes

As for people who can not type fast enough. Maybe they should try Olivia instead of PSK31. Much slower rate and easier to type ahead.

Besides, is it a big deal if you have your software transmitting while you type and try to keep up? I would rather sit there and wait for an answer to be typed in and transmitted rather than not getting an answer at all.

OK Enough, I am jumping off my soap box and going to see if I can round up a nice Olivia QSO!
KB4MB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2010, 05:42:49 AM »

My 2 cents... most 20m qsos will be macros... I just make sure I am on a different band... most dx qso's are, but I think that is due to language barriers, and I understand that.

I have gotten to the point that I don't even do QTH info from a macro anymore - I hate macros... fine for contesting, but otherwise, for me they zap the fun out of everything.  I use it for the intial call or a cq... and the return - that's it.

I can say I will cut off a psk if I can tell it is going to be all macros... I hate seeing the Op Created stuff (kinda cute at first, goofy once everyone started with it), or what computer processor.... What processor?  That's as interesting as finding out what fuel grade someone uses!

Also, if you want an interactive qso, just use a different mode... most local rtty or olivia, even mfsk will be less standardized... barring dx or contests of course Smiley

Wow, I didn't realize I was such a curmegeon! Smiley
VE3VID

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 11:27:34 PM »

One of the best QSOs I had recently was with a ham in Alabama at about 9am right after I got off a night shift.  It was RTTY, but there are as many MACRO users on RTTY.  We blabbed on for 45min with no macros at all and had a great ragchew.  Keep trying,  I do,  there's hams out there who love to have a great convo without the "slam-bam" macro chat.

cheers..........David
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 01:31:46 PM »

I too hate "MACRO" PSK QSO's!

They're OK for contesting (You HAVE to use them
to keep up, especially on RTTY) and they are OK for
DX QSO's where there may be language issues.

But jeesh,  PSK-31 is one of the best "ragchew" modes
there is. Especially for newcomers, folks intimidated
by loud, rude, SSB ops, people who are "mic shy", etc.
So "ragchew" away and ask questions, I do.

And yes, it IS RUDE when you ask a question and
get a macro in return. So many time's I've tried to
get them off the macro's by asking something like:
"So Joe, what are your other hobbies? Do any fishing?".
And his reply is an 5 line Macro describing his computer
.....all the way down to the wireless mouse & keyboard!

And try operating PSK-31 from even a semi rare DX
location. I did when I was in 5R8 (Madagascar).
I had some wonderful QSO's until I got spotted on
the reflectors. What a mess! Operating split on PSK
is impractial, if not impossible. I would say
"PSE! MANY CALLING! Callsign and report only, PSE!"

I had a couple dozen stations calling me
and STILL these guys would dump the macros...

"I am 40 years old, married for 15 years and have 3 kids,
been a ham for 5 years, my job is.......blah, blah, blah"

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: