Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: whatever happen to wolfman jack? fascinating reading .  (Read 2094 times)
KG4YMC

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2010, 05:35:01 PM »

I was wondering what ever happen to this guy , and looked up info on him. Was wild reading about the Mexican station he worked at  when he got started , the over the border powerhouses stations and stuff, don't have web sites right off , but funny to read about his having to arm the station and all, good read, thought some would.like to check it out . kg4ymc
K9MRD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 09:47:49 AM »

Wow, it's been a long time since I heard his name! 
NO2A

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 01:03:07 PM »

He`s been dead for many years now. In the 70`s,he used to work for WNBC 660am in New York city on during the evening shift.  When i lived in southern CA i listened to many of those high powered stations. I remember XPRS in Baja CA would id in both Spanish and English. He was also in the movie,"American Graffiti",and did those voice commercials for "Clearasil" acne treatment.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 04:00:33 PM »

Ok, folks ,while I am on an old radio personality kick, does anybody still broadcast doctor demento's? Who can ever forget fishheads Spike JONES then again, maybe you should. bbc america has old Monty Pythons flying circus, I used  to think had some funny stuff, dead parrot sketch and  the lumberjack song . OK I am  dating myself 57  year old ham kg4ymc  P.S. with nasal  stoped up nose I can do bob dylan. Hi Hi.
N2BIX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2010, 04:10:51 PM »

I remember the lumberjack song,that was funny.Do you remember the dumb skit on my pet fish "eric" who needed a fish license? To go along with his pet dog,cat and every other animal who were also named eric and had licenses? Grin
K7KBN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2010, 06:52:33 PM »

That was "Eric, the Half-a-Bee".

Half a bee, philosophically,
Must, ipso facto half NOT be.
But half the bee has GOT to be,
Vis-a-vis its entity.  D'you see?

But can a bee be said to be
Or not to be an entire bee,
When half the bee is NOT a bee
Due to some ancient injury?

...and so on.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 06:54:36 PM by Pat Bailey » Logged

Pat K7KBN
CWO4 USNR Ret.
KG4YMC

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 09:35:37 PM »

one other comment. I thought the animation on monty python was pretty cool. Picture stop action? anyway before computer animation when there were real artist . kg4ymc same with film vs digital phtography but thats just my opion.  i.e. zone system of exposure, had to focus , exposure  think ect. like ansel adams . kg4ymc
KR4BD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2010, 06:43:37 PM »

In the EARLY 1960's, Wolfman Jack broadcast from XERF-1570, in Mexico just across the Rio Grande from Del Rio, TX.  XERF was a 250,000 watt powerhouse that could be heard over much of the U.S. at night.  At the time, I lived in Riverside, CA which had a Daytime station on 1570 and when they signed off at sunset, XERF came in like a local signal.  Later, he was heard on XERB-1090 across the border from San Diego, but broadcast from a studio in Los Angeles.  

A very "good reference" on "Border Radio" featuring Wolfman Jack and the many other characters of that period can be found in the book:

"Border Radio", by Gene Fowler & Bill Crawford, c. 1987 & 1990

It's a "great read".

Tom, KR4BD
Lexington, KY
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: