Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Verification Of Previous Call Sign  (Read 2325 times)
K3ZL

Ignore
« on: October 30, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »

I held a call sign many years ago that gave up when i upgraded.  I don't believe that the original call sign was ever reassigned.  I can't find any of my old licenses to verify that I held that call sign. Is there a way to get verification?  I have a bunch of DX qsls for that callsign that I would like to use toward DXCC, and am guessing that that I will have to prove that was my call at the time.  Any ideas appreciated.
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2010, 03:22:37 AM »

I held a call sign many years ago that gave up when i upgraded.  I don't believe that the original call sign was ever reassigned.  I can't find any of my old licenses to verify that I held that call sign. Is there a way to get verification?  I have a bunch of DX qsls for that callsign that I would like to use toward DXCC, and am guessing that that I will have to prove that was my call at the time.  Any ideas appreciated.

You can get detailed previous callsign information from www.n4mc.com.  There you can find a history of your callsigns, including dates, etc. from 1981 forward.  www.ae7q.com can help you find out if your old callsign has been reassigned, and to whom.

As for legal verification, I'm not sure.  Remember that the FCC records only go back to the early 80's ish.  Perhaps you could contact the League or QCWA for callbook information.  Good luck.

73, Jordan
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:24:13 AM by Jordan » Logged
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2010, 04:41:34 AM »

Regarding various statements...

1. I'm not sure of the standard of proof required by DXCC. It might not be as high as you suggest. But they are the authority, so ask them.

2. N4MC's data really only goes back to 1991. He uses inferences to get back to 1981 (such as seeing a "license issued" data of 1981 in a 1991 database.)

3. FCC data actually goes back to the late 1960s, around 1966.

4. Last I checked, QCWA wouldn't do random checks for people, unless you were using that information to apply for membership. That's why they have the books--to verify membership qualifications.

5. If you call either the FCC or the League with this request, they'll probably send you to me.

Send me an email direct with the callsign. (And if you already have, and I haven't replied yet, send me a reminder.)

Steve
W3HF
AB2T

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2010, 05:23:57 AM »

3. FCC data actually goes back to the late 1960s, around 1966.

I thought that there was a fire at Gettysburg in the late 70's that destroyed most of the ham radio licensing records.  Was it in the mid 60's instead?  Or, were the files before 1966 lost or not digitized?

It must've been a pain to digitize whatever records the FCC has left.

73, Jordan   
W3HF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2010, 11:53:48 AM »

I thought that there was a fire at Gettysburg in the late 70's that destroyed most of the ham radio licensing records.  Was it in the mid 60's instead?  Or, were the files before 1966 lost or not digitized?

It must've been a pain to digitize whatever records the FCC has left.

73, Jordan   

It was a flood, I believe caused by one of the hurricanes that hit the northeast. I'm not sure which one--maybe Agnes in 1972. (Follow the link to see the rainfall that hit Gettysburg.) My guess is that archives in the basement were destroyed, but current records were okay.

As for digitizing, they really haven't done that for the old records. Nothing is really digitized (meaning computer-accessible) prior to the ULS era, which started around 1998.
WB6DGN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2010, 07:14:55 PM »

I also have a number of Call Books from the thirties up through the late '60s (with lots of gaps in between) but, if you send me your call sign (my call at att.net) I will look it up for you and scan the page it's on and email it back to you (provided I have a book in the right time period).  No guarantees but if I can help, I'd be happy to do so.
Tom WB6DGN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: