Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HT with wide RX?  (Read 1663 times)
KG5UN

Ignore
« on: October 31, 2010, 05:54:01 AM »

I want a different HT and I would like it to have wide RX coverage. I would like it to have good performance in the 225-400 mhz AM range.
Can anyone recomend one? I am more interested in your own experience not just advertised specs.
I dont care if it is a model in current production or 10 years old.
Thanks,
Ed
KG5UN
N3IDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 06:29:45 PM »

ic-Q7A will work great for your receive requirements . good luck finding one they sell for as much used  as they were new when they quit selling them 5 years ago  . love mine
KG5UN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 07:39:34 AM »

I had one of those years ago and loved the RX.
It would be nice to have a little more TX power but I could end up with one again.
I have a nice Kenwood TH-D7A/G that I am going to sell or trade.
Thanks and 73,
Ed
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 10:34:37 PM »

I agree that the old Icom Q7A IS a good performer in that range/mode.
(I switched from the Q7A to the Much better in many other respects Yaesu VX3 (Much better battery system, Controls, Overall function- Including the ability to monitor commercial AM/FM broadcast WHILE scanning ham/police/fire etc) As I do not do much listening in the aircraft/military AM mode anyhow.)
KG5UN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2010, 06:47:56 PM »

I purchased a VX-3R this week and I love the radio except for one thing, it is stone deaf in a portion of the UHF air band so I will be putting it up for sale.
Guess I will try the Kenwood TH-F6A next.
Ed
K3ZOR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2010, 08:59:38 PM »

Just wondered if you had tried an aftermarket antenna on the VX-3R or if you were using the stock antenna that is supplied with the HT?

I normally use a 2m/440 telescoping 1/4 wave antenna (Nagoya NA-773) and if I extend it to only about 9.5 to 10 inches it receives the military air band tranmissions from the local airport which simulcasts the tower transmissions on both civil and military bands (119.900 and 288.300) pretty well. Of course I was only about 4 miles from the airport, but it did OK.

The stock antenna that came with the VX-3R (as well as the VX-2R) worked surprizingly well in the 2 meter and 70cm bands considering the length of the antenna. But.... very poor performance out of band. One of our local 2 meter repeaters (147.180) is sponsored by the county EMA and is at the same tower site as the County PD (155.070). At my last residence, the 2m repeater was full scale on the VX-3R but the PD dispatch was only about an S-3 with the stock antenna. Their tower site is at 1100+ feet and 6 miles away if this gives you some reference of how poorly the stock antenna performs "out of band".

Overall a fantastic little radio, just the stock antenna left much to be desired. Have you found an amateur HT that is receiving the military band yet? Just wondered.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2010, 12:44:11 AM »

[Quote:
Just wondered if you had tried an aftermarket antenna on the VX-3R or if you were using the stock antenna that is supplied with the HT?

I normally use a 2m/440 telescoping 1/4 wave antenna (Nagoya NA-773) and if I extend it to only about 9.5 to 10 inches it receives the military air band tranmissions from the local airport which simulcasts the tower transmissions on both civil and military bands (119.900 and 288.300) pretty well. Of course I was only about 4 miles from the airport, but it did OK.

The stock antenna that came with the VX-3R (as well as the VX-2R) worked surprizingly well in the 2 meter and 70cm bands considering the length of the antenna. But.... very poor performance out of band. One of our local 2 meter repeaters (147.180) is sponsored by the county EMA and is at the same tower site as the County PD (155.070). At my last residence, the 2m repeater was full scale on the VX-3R but the PD dispatch was only about an S-3 with the stock antenna. Their tower site is at 1100+ feet and 6 miles away if this gives you some reference of how poorly the stock antenna performs "out of band".

Overall a fantastic little radio, just the stock antenna left much to be desired. Have you found an amateur HT that is receiving the military band yet? Just wondered."

That mirrors my experience with them exactly.  The stock Yaesu antennas work just fine IN THE HAM BAND ONLY.  For any out of the ham band activity, First step is to experiment with aftermarket antennas.

At only 12 bucks, I have had very good luck with the little SMA Rare Earth mag mount, And also the skinny duck types.....
http://www.pl-259.com/page6.html

« Last Edit: December 25, 2010, 12:47:24 AM by Kenneth Meyer » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: