Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gentleman's Agreements  (Read 1184 times)
KF4ZYC

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2001, 11:25:17 AM »

When it comes to contesting, are there any "Gentleman's Agreements" as to where in the band you can go?

My question stems from PSK31 stations being blown away by CW contests and RTTY Roundups.  Someone gets right on top of PSK31, and starts calling CQ!  Granted, the signal of PSK is so small, you can't hear it, but something has to be mentioned. (on 20 mtrs, it's at 14.070)

This doesn't just happen with PSK.  Unfortunately during FD a few years ago, we were trying to pick up the ARRL message via Packet, and during the middle of it, here comes a CW station calling CQ.  So much for THAT credit.

Maybe CW and RTTY ops just don't realize that other modes share some of the same frequencies?  

Is it just me, or has that happened to others?

N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2001, 11:05:48 AM »

I'm certain that you are right about the ops "not knowing" or at least "forgetting".  I *know* that there are spots that are kind of "reserved" for other modes (like packet or SSTV) but usually forget where they are.  In the case of RTTY and SSTV, guys often run high power and if I show up on "their" frequency (even if there's no one there at the time) I will most assuredly get QRMed (and on purpose, I'm sure) within a few minutes.

During contests, so many hams are on the air (good thing) and so many "QSOs" are being made (good thing) that there usually is just not enough room for everyone to be happy!

73 Mike N2MG
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2001, 10:32:26 PM »

Are you ever right!

In addition to a "gentleman's agreement" for digital modes, I purpose the following:

1)  No Net Zone.  I'm tired of not finding a place for a QSO on 20m.

2)  No Ragchew Zone.  Who cares about the weather anyway?  If I want to know your weather, I'll watch the Weather Channel.

3)  No Health Complaints Zone.  Who gives a damn about your hernia?

4)  No Redneck Zone.  I'm sick of all those W4's on 75m.

5)  No CB Zone.  How about a window on 10m where the FCC actually enforces the law?

6)  No DX Zone.  What's with all this "Your 59, I'm 59?"  That's not REAL ham radio, is it?

7)  No Politcally Correct Zone.  Everbody knows these new General and Extra "lites" ain't real hams.   Why should I have to be nice to them?

Cool  No Whiners Zone.  Someplace to have fun without snivelers complaining about contesters "screwing up the bands."

Hmmm.  Let's see.  You said, "Granted, the signal of PSK is so small, you can't hear it"

That's asking for a lot, isn't it?  Expecting someone not to QRM a signal they can't even hear?  Maybe it's time to forgo the the moral superiority of QRP and add enough power that someone can actually tell you are occupying the frequency?

And, "Unfortunately during FD a few years ago, we  were trying to pick up the ARRL message via Packet, and during the middle of it,  here comes a CW station calling CQ. So much for THAT credit."

Packet, huh?  Gee, we copy the FD message year in and year out on CW with NO problem.  Maybe packet is just a lousy mode on HF for a situation where 100% copy is needed.  Anyway, I hope you stayed inside the "Contest Only Zone" during Field Day and didn't QRM anyone.

And further, "Maybe CW and RTTY ops just don't realize that other modes share some of the same frequencies?"

That must be it.  I'm quite sure SSB operators NEVER get QRM'ed.

And finally, "Is it just me, or has that happened to others?"

No, it's not just you.  There are lots of others who resent having to share the bands with other hams that have operating interests different than their own.  I know it's tough not being able to do whatever you want, whenever you want, where ever you want.  There oughta be a law, huh?  
N9KWW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2002, 04:32:15 PM »

I think you are thinking anout a LID, from your post KDRS or(worse K0RS) sound like you might be one, lets see:
does it sound like one, does it post messages like one, does it act like one, does it think like one...must be one..
In all fairness, you are not a LID, but some of the statments you make sure sound like something a LID would say..

KG6ZZZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2002, 06:21:44 PM »

We need to set up a portion of the band that is lid free.  So lids can stay away from the REAL HAMS.  The ones who know everything.  
AD6WL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2002, 11:44:14 PM »

There are band plans and gentlemans agreements; however, during a contest these limits are stretched.  During a SSB contest ops will not go in the CW portion or visa versa, but during a CW contest if its crowded then yes hams will us the digital portions.  Just like during digital contest portions of the CW freqs will be used.

During some major contest I have operated SSB well into 29.000Mhz.  This is only durning very crowded contest and would not be done in QSO parties or other smaller tests.
W2SUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2002, 05:02:33 PM »

"There are band plans and gentlemans agreements; however, during a contest these limits are stretched. During a SSB contest ops will not go in the CW portion or visa versa, but during a CW contest if its crowded then yes hams will us the digital portions. Just like during digital contest portions of the CW freqs will be used."

Um, that's because that's outside of the "licensed" frequency range for SSB. If they could go down to 14025 they would. For example: 14000-14150 is CW, RTTY, and DATA ONLY! But, 14150-14350 is CW, phone and image. Notice CW is listed in both. They aren't going outside of the allocated frequency range. They are just using what's allocated.

"During some major contest I have operated SSB well into 29.000Mhz. This is only durning very crowded contest and would not be done in QSO parties or other smaller tests."

And that's your right to do so. It's no big deal. There's plenty of space for everyone. Like someone else said, there should be a law against people doing what you don't want them to do. Smiley

-bmb
73 de W2SUQ
KY1V

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2002, 12:05:11 PM »

Perhaps there should be a law against people wanting so many laws.

You guys sound like a bunch of teenagers fighting over which video game to play or hip hop song to listen.

DX'ers complaining about Rag Chewers. Rag Chewers complaining about Contesters. Contesters complaining about Whiners. Whiners complaining about everything!

It just goes to show there is a serious lack of respect for fellow mankind.

By the way, I have been a ham for almost 30 years and I don't recall ever being asked to participate in any gentleman's agreement on frequency use. I have, however, been illegally QRM'd off a "designated frequency"! What makes anyone think they can designate bandwidth for a particular purpose (other than the FCC) and force everyone else to abide by it?

Maybe the FCC should enforce annual testing of the rules and regulations and revoke licenses for those that can't pass!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: