Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Band Plan or Lack Thereof  (Read 1131 times)
K4ZMV

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2010, 06:22:06 PM »

There was some pretty good DX on 40 Meter CW this weekend, but there doesn't seem to be much outcry about this last weekends CQWW SSB contest.  There was a lot of activity on 40 Meters from the Caribbean down as low as 7.018.  If you were not an Extra Class ham, there was sure a lot of QRM for you to deal with between SSB and the PSK31 (and other unidentifiable digital modes).  The QRP frequencies, take your pick of 7.030 or 7.040, were clobbered all weekend.  Before you tell me and all the other hams who are not contesters to take a hike and go someplace else or just turn off the radio, maybe you ought to consider whether you would like to have the frequency you were trying to use crushed by a 40 over S9 signal everywhere you tried to listen or transmit.  And then have some smart a** tell you to quit whining as I am sure will occur in this venue.

I know it is legal for the Caribbean and European amateurs to use the low end of 40 Meters for SSB.  But with 200 KHz of spectrum, why can't some of us who don't contest get to use a small part of the band?  V26B was the worst offender and his 40 over signal basically made 7.015 to 7.022 unuseable for CW.  It seems that the band plans mean nothing if your ego is big enough and your signal is loud enough.  And what the heck is it with 7.036 and PSK31.  There is wasteland between 7.050 and 7.100.  Why can't digital users stay up there?  Oh, yeah.  It is a 'Gentlemen's agreement'.

The bottom line is that it is not fair to ignore others desire to use frequencies as specified in our band plans and demand we move to another frequency or shut down.  Maybe I'm asking too much.  Maybe it is time to sell my junk before it is outdated and worthless.  Anybody need a K3 or a nice amplifier.

73, Jim, K4ZMV
KB9CRY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 10:42:34 AM »

There was some pretty good DX on 40 Meter CW this weekend, but there doesn't seem to be much outcry about this last weekends CQWW SSB contest.  There was a lot of activity on 40 Meters from the Caribbean down as low as 7.018.  If you were not an Extra Class ham, there was sure a lot of QRM for you to deal with between SSB and the PSK31 (and other unidentifiable digital modes).  The QRP frequencies, take your pick of 7.030 or 7.040, were clobbered all weekend.  Before you tell me and all the other hams who are not contesters to take a hike and go someplace else or just turn off the radio, maybe you ought to consider whether you would like to have the frequency you were trying to use crushed by a 40 over S9 signal everywhere you tried to listen or transmit.  And then have some smart a** tell you to quit whining as I am sure will occur in this venue.

I know it is legal for the Caribbean and European amateurs to use the low end of 40 Meters for SSB.  But with 200 KHz of spectrum, why can't some of us who don't contest get to use a small part of the band?  V26B was the worst offender and his 40 over signal basically made 7.015 to 7.022 unuseable for CW.  It seems that the band plans mean nothing if your ego is big enough and your signal is loud enough.  And what the heck is it with 7.036 and PSK31.  There is wasteland between 7.050 and 7.100.  Why can't digital users stay up there?  Oh, yeah.  It is a 'Gentlemen's agreement'.

The bottom line is that it is not fair to ignore others desire to use frequencies as specified in our band plans and demand we move to another frequency or shut down.  Maybe I'm asking too much.  Maybe it is time to sell my junk before it is outdated and worthless.  Anybody need a K3 or a nice amplifier.

Maybe it's time to quite whining and upgrade?

73, Jim, K4ZMV
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 12:36:50 PM »

I'm glad v26b was qrv so I could work him, I got him on 40, 20 and 15 and have not seen that country on before. It was a 2 day contest, and he wasn’t on those freqs for 48 hours. Those freq's are in his band plan. I'm sorry that you feel it was a burden that he was operating according to his limits, I’m happy he did. And I’m sure more people are happy he did then didn’t.

you come off as angry that he was in your way and that digital users dont respect how you want things to work.. and that’s fine, but I’m not sure how much more useful "your way" is then him being qrv for the contest in a band spot you and some others didn’t like.

you can use cw anywhere in the band, go for it.
NU4B

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 01:57:42 PM »

If these guys are operating legally there's not much you can say. Actually 40 meters has been a mess for 1 reason or another since I can remember. The good news is they really only operate down there 2 weekends a year - CQWW and ARRLDX.

The only thing we can do is urge our radio societies and the IARU to come up with a solution but if governments want to give thier radio ops SSB privileges in the low end of 40 meters there's not much we can do. For a couple weekends a year its not worth getting upset about. You can join the fun or if your like me and only op CW find somewhere else during the contest or just QRT and dream about the CW contest coming up in Nov. Or the rtty contest or whatever mode you like.

I can think of plenty of ham radio stuff to do during those weekends such as antenna work, building the backlog of kits I have laying around, filling out QSL cards, cleaning up the shack (well maybe not that haha), or operating where the contest isn't. There's many places to do that.

But trash the equipment because of a couple weekends of contests. I don't think so. Let the SSB guys and gals have their fun.

I'm a QRPer and believe me these 2 contests are not the only time 7.030 and 7.040 get clobbered. There's usually somebody there clobbering QRPers almost all the time Unfortunately band plans are just that - plans and there is no legal authority to enforce them.

Jim, I'm not trying to be an a** but it is what it is and people have been complaining about this same thing on 40 meters for years. It doesn't appear to me like it makes a difference, so why get our blood pressure up?
My question is what would be your solution? How do you get somone to follow an unenforcable bandplan if its legal for them not to? If you got some ideas I'm sure there are some CW ops that would like to know what they are. But remember, with a few exceptions CW ops can operate just about anywhere they want.

BTW if your a CW op do work on getting your extra license, its well worth it for a variety of reasons.

So I maybe an a** but I'm not letting a couple SSB contests stop me from having some fun and filling the airwaves with my gigantically loud 5 watt signal
KF6ABU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 02:00:09 PM »

He is an Extra.
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 08:37:33 PM »

Yes.

Sell your gear.

The world doesn't revolve around you and what you want.

Life isn't fair.

Try 30 meters?

Bob
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: