The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten Tec 1056  (Read 5650 times)
KE7WAV

Ignore
« on: November 01, 2010, 08:07:42 PM »

I have been pondering buying and building the Ten Tec 1056 DC receiver kit.  (It would be a fun project and would give me a small receiver I could have at work for during my lunch break sometimes just to cruise the bands and enjoy a listening to QSO or two)

The Ten Tec website says that it includes all parts to build it for on 10 different bands. (160-80-75-40-30-20-17-15-12-10)  But it is designed to be built and run on a single band.  Yet it begs the question why not put it on several bands?  Why not find an easy way to band switch? 

I have tinkered with some ideas today on paper, but thought it might be fun to hear other peoples ideas on how to do this.  According to info found online it comes down to 5 caps and 3 inductors per band.  So why not run some jumpers off the board and try to get a little more from this $32 kit?

Anyway if you have done this or something similar what did you do and how?  Thanks for the input.
73 de KE7WAV
IZ4KBS

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 08:23:53 AM »

After reading a few sources around the Net I'm not sure I'd buy the 1056. Here's one of the best references that I found (you'll have to use the google translator): http://www.stalad.it/iz4bqv/tec1056/tec1056.html. If you insist on a direct conversion receiver I would suggest you rather go for a Rockmite, which is bound to one single frequency but which may actually have got enough selectivity to prevent having 3 or 4 overlapping QSOs coming in. The Rockmite is also a transmitter, which may not interest you but it won't hurt either, in case you also want to try and join in.  An even better choice would be an SST, by Wilderness radio, which too is a transceiver, only slightly bigger than a Rockmite but with some frequency agility and a decent 2 watt RF output. These are good choices if you can limit yourself to CW, otherwise they may not suite your needs.
KE7WAV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2010, 08:57:15 AM »

Thank you.  I know a direct conversion receiver has its limitations.  I have used them for about 25 years on and off.  But it was always one my Dad had built rather than me.  They really are a good little receiver if they are designed and built well.  And on CW if you learned to focus on the pitch of the one station you want to listen to it really isn't too hard.  (Unless somebody jumps right one the exact same freq and starts calling CQ over-top of your QSO)   
   The key for me is I wanted to build one.  And I want one that is multi-band and freq agile, as well as small, for the corner of my desk at work.  Just for a little break or during lunch to tune up and down the bands and enjoy hearing someone else have a little fun.
   If I want to run QRP I have my old HW-8 and it does a FB job.
  Thank you for your concern.
W5ESE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2010, 11:07:34 AM »

I've hesitated to reply to your column. I built a Ten-Tec 1056 receiver, but just I built it for one
band (40 meters).

There are several components that have to be swapped to switch between bands.

In general, direct conversion receivers tend to be vulnerable to mechanical vibrations
(microphonics). So any scheme that is not "mechanically durable" will likely result in
poor performance.

This particular DC receiver does perform very well, at least on the lower bands.

I figured that the price of this is low enough, that if I want one for another band,
I'll just build another one, rather than risk flakey behavior.

Scott W5ESE

KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 05:23:14 AM »

Regarding listening on your lunch break, are you working outside, or in a building that will allow HF radiation in? I thought it would be a neat idea, and tried that at my office, but I think the metal in the "skin" of the building effectively screens out HF, although VHF comes in just OK. What little HF I could get was just noise from the surrounding computers/power supplies/etc.

Other than that, have fun with the kit building.

--Tom
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: