Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: CW contest or band just opened?  (Read 2599 times)
KE4JOY

Ignore
« on: January 09, 2011, 06:51:35 AM »

I was tuning around on low 40 and 80 last night looking to do a little casual CW QSO and holy cow there was a ton of cw signals out there. Seemed like a different QSO on every kc or so from the low end to the ssb portion. Nearly all of them 20 or greater wpm. I listened to the exchanges and didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Some contest I don't know about?
KH2BR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2011, 07:39:18 AM »

Yes, it was the north american qso party and along with it was bad manners from a few. I was having a qso with W4ARM and it was going good for a few minutes untill some strong contester decided to get rid of us by calling cq NA right on top of us. I think its about time for the contest organizers to start specifying frequency ranges for the contests and leave some room for those that dont work contests. The whole cw/data section was loaded and no place for a chat. Seems like the only time lots of other fellow hams get on is to work contests.
KE4JOY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2011, 12:19:46 PM »

Well I dunno let them have there weekend of fun. Was kind of nice to hear a lot of activity actually. Shame your QSO got disrupted though.

I just didn't recognize CQ NA just figured they only wanted north American stations.

One more question. Last night I heard a rather loud signal calling CQ WES. I heard several weaker stations trying to respond but I guess he could not hear them. I did not respond as I have no idea what WES is? Some other contest??
N3QE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2011, 12:43:05 PM »

Yes, it was the north american qso party and along with it was bad manners from a few. I was having a qso with W4ARM and it was going good for a few minutes untill some strong contester decided to get rid of us by calling cq NA right on top of us. I think its about time for the contest organizers to start specifying frequency ranges for the contests and leave some room for those that dont work contests. The whole cw/data section was loaded and no place for a chat. Seems like the only time lots of other fellow hams get on is to work contests.
40 Meters that particular weekend is tough, because a lot of RTTY Roundup DX'ers are descending from the top end of the CW segment (40 Meters is an especially effective band for RTTY DX and the European band plans force RTTY into what we in the US would call the "CW segment") and the NAQP CW is trying to fit into what's left at the bottom of 40M, and the result is not enough room for even the contesters, never mind the casual QSO's and the nets and the CW DX'ers.
N3PDT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2011, 09:11:11 PM »

WES is "Weekend Sprint", an SKCC monthly event. I guess it's technically a contest, but it's a fairly "laid back" affair and very friendly to slower ops. If you haven't checked out SKCC, I'd highly recommend it. www.skccgroup.com
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 02:24:12 PM »

You can tell the WES people because we're all sending with Straight keys, and the rhythm is different. I have an SKCC number as well as once for NAQRP, but I don't run low power because of limited antennas, so I just do the WES events when I catch them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: