Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VX-7R USA into EU - Is it possible?  (Read 1027 times)
IC8CYV

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2010, 01:18:55 AM »

Hi,
I got a VX7R that seems to be for the US market as the automatic shift setting is quite different than ours and also has the 220Mhz band open that we also don't have if I remember correctly.
I know I could manually set the repeater frequencies etc but should one day I decide to get rid of this handy I might find it difficult to sell because of it being US version, do you know if there is a way to turn the US version into EU one with some soft mod?

thank you

Giovanni

Giovanni
IC8CYV
Jn70CN
PE1HZG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:05:31 AM »

I got a VX7R that seems to be for the US market as the automatic shift setting is quite different than ours and also has the 220Mhz band open that we also don't have if I remember correctly.
I know I could manually set the repeater frequencies etc but should one day I decide to get rid of this handy I might find it difficult to sell because of it being US version, do you know if there is a way to turn the US version into EU one with some soft mod?

There are 2 factors here:

Jumpers (not soft mod, jumpers) will define the internal tables: TX/RX range, band plan for ARS etc.
You'll need to change the jumpers and reset the CPU to change these settings

The radio was aligned for the USA bands (and hence, for different centres of the bands) as the radio sold for EU market.
I don't expect the changes to be big, but the differences are mentioned in the alignment procedure.

The radio will always show it's the USA model: it will have FCC approval on the sticker, and may not have CE logo on it. Why hide it's real origin?

Geert Jan
IC8CYV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 07:45:39 AM »

There are 2 factors here:

Jumpers (not soft mod, jumpers) will define the internal tables: TX/RX range, band plan for ARS etc.
You'll need to change the jumpers and reset the CPU to change these settings

The radio was aligned for the USA bands (and hence, for different centres of the bands) as the radio sold for EU market.
I don't expect the changes to be big, but the differences are mentioned in the alignment procedure.

The radio will always show it's the USA model: it will have FCC approval on the sticker, and may not have CE logo on it. Why hide it's real origin?

Geert Jan

That's very simple Jan,
I got the VX-7R used but in brand new conditions, still have to pay it and even though it seems to be imported from the italian importer I found out that the ARS is set for the US band, it bothers me a bit as I would like it to behave correctly for the EU band plan so if there is a way to turn it into the EU settings I would be very glad otherwise I might think to send it back to the seller, that's why I ask if that's possible.

How do I check for which market was it built?

How so I perform a reset to the original conditions to check if the ARS is set for EU or US?

What if I get a programming cable and the software to re-program the ARS to behave correctly for the EU plan?

Can I avoid all of the above with the jumper settings maybe? I might ask a friend who is good with the soldering...

thank you for your reply

Giovanni

edit: on the box the DST is EXP and the TYP is B2

the jumpers look like this

« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:38:41 AM by Giovanni Aprea » Logged

Giovanni
IC8CYV
Jn70CN
KI6EBP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 09:00:22 PM »

Giovanni, I have the exact same problem--in reverse! Why don't we just trade radios?

Greg K6GST (former KI6EBP)
IC8CYV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 09:24:33 AM »

Giovanni, I have the exact same problem--in reverse! Why don't we just trade radios?

Greg K6GST (former KI6EBP)

Hi Greg,
my VX-7R seems to be the right one as by the label I understand it's for the european/italian market, the problem I want to solve is about the ARS which I either turn off and then store the repeater shift/requencies in a memory bank or I don't know what to do but the issue is pretty annoying even though I rather use the radio to listen other than to transmit but I might sometime need to access a repeater and then... what do I do?

thanks for your offer

Giovanni
IC8CYV
Jn70CN
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: