Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Remote CW keying, Winkeyer vs Remoterig, etc  (Read 8711 times)
K5DN

Ignore
« on: November 02, 2010, 12:07:46 PM »

I've tried the keyboard approach (built-in powerSDR feature) and it seems clumsy to me.  Maybe I just need to practice.  However, I'd rather use the paddles.  The Winkeyer claims to have a one character delay (two keyers and client/server software required), while the Remoterig system claims to have a shorter delay.  Can anyone comment on the performance of either of these in the real world?  Or any other approaches?

Remoterig is of course more expensive, but has other useful features like low latency voip.  I'm using ipsound now, and it works well, but has a noticeable delay.

FYI:  Station now consists of Flex-3000, ALS-600, K7TJR 4sqr receive array, and an 81 ft top ld vertical for 160m.  Using VNC with PowerSDR to control the rig.  More bands to be added.

Bob
« Last Edit: November 02, 2010, 12:26:56 PM by Bob Baker » Logged
N2DE

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 05:06:05 PM »

Take a look at the article(s) that I wrote about the remote capablities of the CW Machine (I am the designer):  http://www.eham.net/articles/23931  You will see that a delay of less than one character, and even of one character, will result in audible gaps in your transmission.  Less than one character delay would require sending dits and dahs over the link, rather than complete characters, and the resulting signal would be choppy to virtually unreadable, especially at higher speeds, due to random delays on the IP link.  If you transmit completed characters the theoretical minimum delay is one character, but the resulting signal would have unnatural gaps.  To create a smooth transmission, you will need buffering that exceeds one character.

73, Ulrich, N2DE
K5DN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2010, 03:27:37 PM »

I have the RemoteRig boxes installed and working now.  The CW delay is well under one character; about 1 to 2 dits at 20wpm.  An adjustable buffer is available to be sure there is enough to accommodate internet jitter.  It sounds good.

The VOIP latency is also low enough that it is not very noticeable. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: