Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Burundi from the BEST Coast . . .  (Read 1337 times)
KY6R

Ignore
« on: November 04, 2010, 04:53:41 PM »

Heard and worked 9U0A - easily, which is fairly rare for the West Coast. It was very nice to have conditions that I can remember on the high bands back before the big sunspot depression (even going back to 2005 or so). I did work a DX-ped there back in 2007 - for my all time new Burundi, but I do remember that that was very much ESP.

Today - armchair copy, three calls to work him, and 700 watts with my home brewed W8JK wire beam (with feedpoint 6" behind center).

The K3 filtered out the very near frequency QRM like no other receiver I have ever owned.

Best DX,

Rich

W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 06:09:08 PM »

Good catch.  This is a one-man dxpedition.

DL7DF will be active from Burundi 3-9 November 2010 as 9U0A
He will be active on all bands
QSL via home call

(overseas please more than 2 dollar for postage)

Jonathan W6GX
W6GX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 06:12:07 PM »

I worked BV100 Taiwan today, a special event station.  The Op. was someone I know, so we ragchewed until QSB settled in.  It's that time of the year for Asia openings on the Best Coast.

Jonathan W6GX
KC7YRA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2010, 06:18:28 PM »

Lots of activity from 9U land lately.  I snagged them a few months ago and got a card super fast.  It was a 4 man German DXpedition then.  Hopefully they will activate more hard to gets.

Brad
W4XK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2010, 06:25:12 PM »

Snagged him with 100 watts and a dipole on 17 meters yesterday
afternoon. Large dose of good luck helped!

Bill W4XK
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2010, 08:06:27 PM »

Sigi has a very impressive list of DX-peditions - and he is a great op:

http://www.dl7df.com/

He always assembles a great team and goes to the rare places. Its pretty amazing that he is a single op this time around. BTW - his online logs are also posted on his web site.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2010, 02:37:45 AM by Rich Holoch » Logged
NI0C

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2010, 03:44:14 AM »

You working 9U is roughly equivalent to me working V8 (that's happened only twice).

Back in the early 60's I used a W8JK antenna for 20m that I constructed from twin lead with 1 x 2 wood spreaders.  It was pretty ugly, but it worked well.

Chuck  NI0C
KY6R

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2010, 04:41:23 AM »

The bottom of the sunspot cycle forced me to try to squeeze more directivity and gain out of my all wire antenna farm. Now with the upswing in the cycle - and heading into winter on the low bands - all of my antenna work seems to be paying off.

My W8JK is based on a mod documented in the "Antennas for all Locations" by Les Moxon - and also a white paper written by W5LJ. It works much better than the original W8JK - in fact, it performs exactly like my old 2 element SteppIR yagi - but at a fraction of the cost.

It is essentially a 2 element 17M wire yagi, but when fed as a W8JK - using 450 ohm ladder line for the 180 degree phase line and with a 4:1 balun 6" back from the center of the phasing line. It performs much better than when I just fed the wire yagi as a regular yagi.

I had a "regular" W8JK before and thought it was just OK. In fact, the regular W8JK seemed a lot like the old 2 element SteppIR when it was in bi-directional mode. In fact, I would not be surprised if the matching network that is used on the 2 element SteppIR is a 180 degree phase shift in that mode.

I have even seen some other very interesting mods - such as a Moxon fed using a W8JK feed.

On 40M I have a 2 element Bruce Array that I raised the feedpoint above my house - and that antenna went from "so so" to what I had hoped for - a 2 element vertical array. I recently worked ZS8M with it - and could tell that I was one of the very few on the West Coast who even heard him.

The K3 receiver is the other side of the performance equation. I had a Yaesu FT-2000D, and it paled in comparison to the K3. What a difference!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: