Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: not be a fear monger.. BUT...  (Read 15809 times)
KC8OYE

Ignore
« on: November 05, 2010, 09:29:23 PM »

I was watching Glenn Beck today (yes, I am right-of-center).  He explained what is possible to happen if China should decide to stop loaning us money... it's ugly.  one of the scenarios he mentioned was complete collapse of the communication infrastructure... this is supposed to happen with in the next year unless our new congress pulls something out of their u know where's Wink  maybe this is true, maybe it isn't.. but I'm curious what you plan on doing EmComm wise to prepare? Smiley

I have my twin Motorola MaxTrac GM300's so I have two radios that will just about survive a nuke lol

I'm thinking about stocking up on a couple 3 of those new Wouxun Mobile radios when they come, they're supposed to be really cheap ~$150-$200 for 2m/440.  I've been happy with my Wouxon HT...  I figure I'll also pick up a couple more JetStream JTB-3 dualband base antennas (Diamond x50 clone)  they are about $40 compared to Diamond's $120 or so depending on who you price it from.

I'm still trying to figure out what I want for an HF rig.. they're all so dang'd expensive!

I'm not a big believer in the doomsday theories.. but I am a believer in being prepared!
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 11:02:56 PM »

If the communications infrastructure collapses sufficiently to take all the cable news channels off the air, maybe Americans of all political persuasions can focus more on fixing our common problems than dwelling on those things we disagree on...

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 05:31:34 AM »

So your solution to the growing US/China money issue is to go buy more radio make in china?
Doesn't seem to help the problem any.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 07:53:24 AM »

So your solution to the growing US/China money issue is to go buy more radio make in china?

But they're so AFFORDABLE

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
W3JKS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 08:01:24 AM »

Pardon me for asking, but where are you going to find a modern, American-made dual-band FM radio these days?  I'm not talking about a Flex-Radio and a transverter -- overkill. Even Motorola has stopped most of their US production. 

john W3JKS/AAT3BF/AAM3EDE/AAM3RE/AAA9SL
N8EMR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 08:43:22 AM »

Pardon me for asking, but where are you going to find a modern, American-made dual-band FM radio these days? 

Unfortunately your NOT. I was just pointing out a flaw in the guys thinking.

Gary
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 01:17:00 PM »

If the entire communications infrastructure goes down then you probably won't have any power either. With no power I have no water and no sewage - I don't think an HT will be my primary concern.  Angry

W5ER

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 03:01:36 AM »

Tim, there is still time, forget about buying Chinese made radios, goto the local sporting goods facility and stock up on some good AMERICAN made pistols and rifles.  A bit more practical than chinese HTs, they don't require electricity, water, sewage and you'd still be able to use one as you take your last gasp of fresh air.
KC8OYE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 01:15:26 PM »

hrrm. it's like talking to politicians.. 7 responses.. not one a addressed the actual question presented.

I will say this much.. w5er: THAT is already been covered, but isn't part of this discussion Wink
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 03:20:44 PM »

hrrm. it's like talking to politicians.. 7 responses.. not one a addressed the actual question presented.

The only question I see in the original post is this one:

maybe this is true, maybe it isn't.. but I'm curious what you plan on doing EmComm wise to prepare?

Nothing particular. I don't worry about doomsday scenarios. EMCOMM is probably the last thing on my list of priorities. Food and my family's safety/survival is much higher. The communications capability I currently have is sufficient for MY needs; I'm not worried about anyone else's.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2010, 08:02:59 PM »

I won't worry a whole lot about communicating outside of my core family if the "big one" hits. For communications with the outside world I'll let my second amendment rights do my talking for me. -WY3X
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 11:30:35 AM »

One thing that was affirmed with this recent recession is that which affects one, affects all.  If our economy goes in the dumper, there's going to be a whole lot of other countries going right along with us including China.  With no US market there won't be anyone to buy all their crap at Wally World.  They have become inextricably tied to our success with the amount of our debt that they hold.

Radios might come in handy but I'll bet firearms, food and potable water will do you more good.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
KF5GWN

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2010, 02:32:44 PM »

For local stuff I have a couple of sets of FRS radios. I also have two Motorola Genesis portables with GMRS in them and one with ham and GMRS in it.  My truck has a convertacom with the power amp and a dual band antenna.  I also have some CB radios and antennas sitting around.  And I have my Wouxon dual band.  When that mobile comes out I am going to grab one.

Don't want to come across as a paranoid, but for operational security reasons one should not go into too much detail as far as what kind of preps they have made.  Especially on a forum where with minimal effort you can be identified and located.  Not everyone out there is as nice as we all are.  For them preps could just be a rifle, some ammo and the addresses of people that have food, water, and generators etc.
W0TLP

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2010, 03:49:50 PM »

Doomsday theories coming from people who make fame by instilling fear and anger are not likely the best theories. It's market-driven drivel with little merit.

For "prepping," I figure our citizens have to learn to become better problem solvers and more self-sufficient. There's way too much dependence on our various institutional and governmental infrastructures for us to effectively mitigate and manage any type of significant catastrophic event. Heck, even natural disasters are compounded because people simply aren't prepared to deal with adversity.

As for China, their survival depends on our greed. That's what got us into our position in the first place. Perhaps they'll take advantage of that, perhaps they won't.

As for communications readiness, perhaps thinking in the rule of 3s will help: have a plan, have a back-up and have a back-up for the back-up. That might mean multi-band radios, phones, smoke signals, semaphore flags, signal lights, etc.

They most important element is a community willing to support each other in various ways through the collection of individual strengths and skills. I'm more concerned about with whom I will communicate that exactly how I will communicate, but the how is still important.

If the communications infrastructure collapses sufficiently to take all the cable news channels off the air, maybe Americans of all political persuasions can focus more on fixing our common problems than dwelling on those things we disagree on...

That's probably the best quote I've read in a long time. More time focusing on skills, less time listening to people who get paid to elicit a reaction.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2010, 05:07:45 PM by Teak » Logged
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2010, 04:40:57 PM »

Don't want to come across as a paranoid, but for operational security reasons one should not go into too much detail as far as what kind of preps they have made.  Especially on a forum where with minimal effort you can be identified and located.  Not everyone out there is as nice as we all are.  For them preps could just be a rifle, some ammo and the addresses of people that have food, water, and generators etc.

OPSEC? On eHam?

That's the funniest thing I have read in months.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: