Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: not be a fear monger.. BUT...  (Read 16395 times)
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2011, 09:33:54 AM »

I don't see it as a big deal.  "The Communications Infrastructure" that people are referring to is what - 30 years old?  I'm thinking cell phones and the internet.  The country seemed to grow and thrive before it existed.  We did pretty well when the only "communications infrastructure" was Pony Express.

I'm also puzzled about why a lack of money would cease the functionality of something that's mostly capital expense - that's already been paid.

I think the whole thread IS fear-mongering...we did fine without a so-called "communications infrastructure" before, and an existing one won't fail just because our economy declines.  This is a non-starter.

- k
KASSY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2011, 09:50:24 AM »

Oh, and...I don't think VHF FM is going to be useful.  Handhelds only communicate so far without a repeater, and a repeater IS part of "the communications infrastructure".  They'll be off air, too...they have less back-up support than the cellular infrastructure, in general.

I have heard that the Aussies use HF SSB in the outback because there just isn't any "infrastructure" to be had in such a sparsely populated area.  If there's a ham radio resource to have for communications when there's no infrastructure - it's HF, not VHF.

- k
N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2011, 01:58:14 PM »

The problem with getting information from talking heads like Glen Beck, and many others, is that they are often wrong.  For instance, China does not own America.  Below is a excerpt of an article written by Tom Mucha, and published by the "Global Post" on July 21st. 

"Many people — politicians and pundits alike — prattle on that China and, to a lesser extent Japan, own most of America's $14.3 trillion in government debt.  But there's one little problem with that conventional wisdom: it's just not true. While the Chinese, Japanese and plenty of other foreigners own substantial amounts, it's really Americans who hold most of America's debt.

Here's a quick and fascinating breakdown by total amount held and percentage of total U.S. debt, according to Business Insider:

Hong Kong: $121.9 billion (0.9 percent)
Caribbean banking centers: $148.3 (1 percent)
Taiwan: $153.4 billion (1.1 percent)
Brazil: $211.4 billion (1.5 percent)
Oil exporting countries: $229.8 billion (1.6 percent)
Mutual funds: $300.5 billion (2 percent)
Commercial banks: $301.8 billion (2.1 percent)
State, local and federal retirement funds: $320.9 billion (2.2 percent)
Money market mutual funds: $337.7 billion (2.4 percent)
United Kingdom: $346.5 billion (2.4 percent)
Private pension funds: $504.7 billion (3.5 percent)
State and local governments: $506.1 billion (3.5 percent)
Japan: $912.4 billion (6.4 percent)
U.S. households: $959.4 billion (6.6 percent)
China: $1.16 trillion (8 percent)
The U.S. Treasury: $1.63 trillion (11.3 percent)
Social Security trust fund: $2.67 trillion (19 percent)
So America owes foreigners about $4.5 trillion in debt. But America owes America $9.8 trillion."

I'm not saying that debt is a good thing, I'm just saying that many in the media, left and right, are just plain wrong about many things, particularly Economics.  Now one can argue that Tom Mucha is wrong, but at least he provided numbers.  Let's see yours if you disagree.
N2EY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2011, 05:51:43 PM »

N0YXB: Your numbers are correct, but they're not the main point.

The Big Questions aren't how much we owe, nor who we owe it to. The Big Questions are who are we borrowing from today, and tomorrow, and the day after that, and what happens if they stop lending us more?

All that has to happen is for the folks with the cash to stop buying US government bonds amd we're in deep stuff.

Of course we could fix the problem if we really wanted to. Problem is, we've become too used to thinking it's not solvable.

73 de Jim, N2EY
W9FIB

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2011, 02:49:47 PM »

This has to be one of the most hilarious threads ever written. I think there should be a forum called comedy and post this there. Cant see where anybody really answered the question of what would be done if there were a complete system failure. Instead we got responces from being armed to the teeth to union polotics. And even a nuclear holocaust just to make things interesting. I have been listening to the doom sayers since the 70's when the Arabs were going to destroy us.

But today when you look at the world, there is a far more complex infrastructure that could fail. How many systems would fail if a really nasty virus took down the entire internet. The internet is much more than surfing for information. It is also a far reaching network that is used to control and monitor many things. Just 1 of those many things is our complex communications system. Much of the power grid has ties to the internet. Even many manufacturing plants are using networks that could be destroyed by a virus. Can you imagine how many of these new digital comms systems would die if someone made a virus to mess with Harris radio systems? And that is just 1 brand. And how do the engineers talk with these massive systems? The internet. So a hacker could bring down a huge portion of the infrastructure with a computer and an internet connection.

So despite the ridicule of Glen Beck, there really is a potential threat to our systems. So the question remains, what will we do to support and back up all our served agencies that will ask for help?

this is not a political or a financial question. It is a question of what will EMCON do?

Stan
LA9XSA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: November 01, 2011, 05:58:27 AM »

For your question, I would suggest making a new thread, about viruses for radios or radio manufacturing equipment. On that question, there are many lessons to be learned from computer security - such as designing with security built in from the ground up, intrusion monitoring, defense in depth, redundancy, avoiding monocultures, etc.

If you're worried about that threat, you'd have backup radios which old-fashioned and not programmable, and you'd inspect their relatively simple circuits to check that there aren't any backdoors. You'll have to make do with old gear and less features.

If we go back to the first post of this thread, though, in the year since the thread was started, the US still get buyers for their bonds, the whole communication system has not failed, and Glenn Beck is still selling gold and fear on the radio.

What turned out to be the real problem in this last year, is that the tsunami in Japan and the floods in Thailand have reduced the availability of certain high-tech components.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: