Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Detroit area - anyone have a pneumatic antenna launcher they would rent?  (Read 1826 times)
N8FNR

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2010, 09:10:47 AM »

I there anyone in the Detroit area that has a pneumatic antenna launcher that would be interested in renting it for a few hours? I need to get a wire up for an inverted L 160 meter antenna and have no good way to do it.

Yeah, I know I could build my own launcher but I only need to get one wire up.

Zack
N8FNR
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »

Big 5 Sporting Goods sells a sling shot for just $7. That aught to do it!

N7DM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2010, 09:41:55 AM »

Bow and arrow... with a little bit of lead wrapped around the shaft, just aft of the tip.  Great........Use mono-filament fish line and an open-face spinning reel. WAY over the reported sling-shot 50 feet...
« Last Edit: November 06, 2010, 06:30:04 PM by "DM" » Logged
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 05:35:31 PM »

only need to get one wire up.

How high is "up?"  50 feet is about the max for a slingshot from my experience.
N4JTE

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 07:40:10 PM »

A 2oz lead weight and a spinning cast rod will get you 50 to 60 ft with no problem with no arrow in some neighbors cat. Pull through the final string/rope and your good to go.
Regards,
Bob
N8FNR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 08:45:49 AM »

Thanks for the replies.
I wish that I could use a bow and arrow but I don't own a bow. And bet that my neighbors would frown on me shooting an arrow that would probably land in their yard. I would envision a visit from the police.
I have a Ezhang but recently the weld failed on it and it fell apart. Oh well, maybe I'll go get it fixed at a weld shop.

Zack
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:08:17 AM »

The funny thing is, you can probably could build a new one for what it costs to fix the one you have. The aforementioned sling shot, and cheap spinning reel are both available from Big 5, or any decent sporting goods outlet. The cheap sling shot has a wrist support, from which you can attach the reel. If you don't have a lead weight, a heavy 3/4 inch nut is enough. When I build the one I have it cost less than $20.

N4RSS

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2010, 10:34:41 AM »

Take a trip into the 'hood and they can probably fix you up with a grenade launcher that'll work "gangbusters"
KD8IWZ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 11:12:54 AM »

Murphy's law got me 20 some years ago while putting up my 1st dipole using a heavy sinker on a fishing pole. The line snagged, the sinker flew off, hit a dwelling 2 houses away, woke up the neighbor who found the sinker and thought it was a bullet from a drive-by. Sometimes things just go wrong!
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 03:54:37 PM »

I'd get real worried if I had a neighbor that didn't know the difference between a fishing sinker and a bullet. Smiley

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:27:24 PM »

hi,

repair the EZhang using JB WELD, find it at walmart, home depot, lowe's, etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J-B_Weld

73 james
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: