Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ten-Tec Jupiter and Eagle ?  (Read 2040 times)
N5RWJ

Ignore
« on: November 06, 2010, 02:23:26 PM »

Any elmers have a opinion on the Ten-tec eagle or jupiter radios ?
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2010, 07:24:58 PM »

Having used a Jupiter extensively, I have opinions about it, but have never used the new Eagle.
What is it you want to know?  Are you planning on buying one or the other?
N5RWJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 11:52:42 AM »

Yes I am, could you comment some on the Ten-tec jupiter.
KE7DZS

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 01:08:40 PM »

I two am interested in these two radios and wonder if the Jupiter is at the end of its life as I see there have not been any software updates for quite some time.  Meanwhile the Eagle looks like it has a lot to offer in a simple package.
 I would like to hear what people have to say good or bad about these rigs.
KZ1X

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 05:02:23 PM »

It's true, the Jupiter is getting a little long in the tooth.  Originally, it was a Pegasus with a face, and a couple of years ago they revamped the rig with a nicer display and some interesting features.  But it's not much older than some other current-production rigs.

The firmware updates don't come frequently because the rig is rather mature.

With a suitable external speaker, you'll find few radios that 'sound' as nice.  The radio is also quite ideal for the very popular digital modes.  In fact, for those whose interest on HF lies solely there, I'm unsure of a radio I'd pick over the Jupe for that purpose  -- and I'm a K3 owner.

More esoterically, the Jupiter is a darned fine sounding AM exciter, if that floats your boat, as well as being a very nice general coverage receiver.

Occasionally, you'll see a Jupe on the used market, but not for long unless the seller is asking an off-market price.  Truth be told, only a few radios in current production are easier to use, and none at that price point are more readily serviceable.

I like the display on the Jupe over the Eagle, but only from pictures.  Won't get a chance to play with the new radio, maybe not until Dayton '11, or if I can sneak over to Sevierville sometime.  The TenTec plant is adjacent to the local GA airport there, so, it's not out of the question.

Not sure if I answered any of your questions.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 06:00:32 PM »

Never used an Eagle, and actually never even saw one (yet).  Seems cute and probably works fine, but I'd like to try one out.

I've had a Jupiter for about 4 years now and it's a good rig.  Very easy to use, with only one menu that has everything printed on the display in plain English so you really never have to look at the manual.  I liked it enough that I was interested in "stepping up" another notch in the Ten Tec line and bought an Orion, which is its bigger brother, with more features and a second receiver.  It's an excellent rig in just about every way.

The Orion's a bit more complicated and has a bit longer learning curve but it's worth that.

Would like to play with an Eagle, though.  Hopefully someday soon I'll find a neighbor who bought one and I'll go play with it over there. Tongue
KE7DZS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 10:24:10 AM »

I see that Sherwood eng. has reviewed the eagle's receiver. Grin
I am still wonder how it compares to The Jupiter as a rig for digital mode use.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: