Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban on QRZ.COM.  (Read 9332 times)
G1WFK

Ignore
« on: November 07, 2010, 03:48:21 AM »

Hi. Political correctness is the ultimate expression of censorship.Not only does it tell you what you cant say, it tells you what you can express { nothing that relates to moral standards, religion, or sincerely held beliefs,} any degenerate, liberal or hypocrate,can ridicule my beliefs,and be praised to the skies,by the media,etc ,but if i dare to criticise their lifestyle, i am abused,ridiculed and laughed at. The hypocracy of liberals,who are always going on about "free speech" never ceases to amaze me. Well done to eham,you really do allow,free speech.  73 de Mike,G1WFK Wink
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2010, 05:59:53 AM »

Freedom of speech is not absolute.  I'm not an attorney, but I don't believe that QRZ.com, eHam.net, or other Internet based forums are in any way obligated to post anyone's comments. It seems pretty reasonable that they edit postings for clarity, length, and content, particularly when inflammatory rhetoric, potential slander,libel, or otherwise irresponsible comments or remarks may set them up for civil actions.

From the timbre of your posting, it's clear that you're pissed, but why isn't clear other than you want a soap box.

Why the pseudonym, rather than  an actual call sign?

Michael KC8WUC/WDE9344

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2010, 07:20:12 AM »

Those that hide behind pseudonyms do so because they have something to hide.....

Stan K9IUQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2010, 07:23:00 AM »

The hypocracy of liberals,who are always going on about "free speech" never ceases to amaze me.

What makes you think free speech exists on forums? Each website has their own rules. Don't obey them and you get booted......

Stan K9IUQ
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2010, 07:50:25 AM »

What??

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2010, 09:11:11 AM »

Hi. Political correctness is the ultimate expression of censorship.

Other people's websites aren't public spaces... and they are not free, objective journalistic endeavors.

any degenerate, liberal or hypocrate,can ridicule my beliefs,and be praised to the skies,by the media,etc ,but if i dare to criticise their lifestyle, i am abused,ridiculed and laughed at

I would never call for abridging your freedom to think or do what you want as long as the end goal of your actions and words does not result in undue restriction of the freedoms of others.  Society must make provisions for abridgment of the freedoms of those who have insufficient regard for others' rights.

That's a delicate and difficult balance because people hold many strong beliefs about what is and is not harmful to the freedoms of others.  And they often seem concerned about their own freedoms (the freedoms of one) more than they are concerned about those of others (the freedoms of many).    Furthermore, some people have more concern for "the good of society," rather than the general freedoms of individual members of society.    This is where arguments come from.  We get polarized over some issues because of how we define things.  I would suspect that if you and I (a liberal) listed every type of "degenerate" that we could think of, there would be some region of overlap.  But there would probably also be two distinct regions that would make us mad at each other.

Anyway, we're all entitled to freedom to argue over that.  None of us are entitled to having about as many people on our team as against us, however.  Nor are we entitled to free speech in others' spaces.  I don't get to walk into your house and berate your friend for being a degenerate.  You are permitted to put a stop to that by having me removed from your space.

In public, you should be allowed to say what you want.  HOWEVER, your protection from others does not extend to silencing their criticisms of what you say.   No one has the right to silence you directly if you are in a public space.  In the U.S. it is rare indeed that this happens.  We do have free speech.  We can stand on a street corner or march on the Mall in Washington D.C. and say what we want to our fellow citizens.  We do not go to jail for speaking our mind.  In fact, if you're good at making polarizing speeches, you might get your own cable TV show.

Sometimes, however, it feels like others are against you en masse.  It turns out that no one has a right to having their opinion treated like a fragile little flower, to having it coddled and cared for.  Nor does one have a basic right to have the strength of their voice equalized and amplified against the tide of opposite opinion.  Sometimes the truly oppressed need help in that regard, and other less disenfranchised groups will join in.  But not everyone who has trouble making headway against opposing opinion is actually oppressed.  Sometimes they're witnessing the death of an oppression and in calling for the old order to be reinstated find themselves wildly unpopular.

I support those peoples' right to speak their mind in true public venues. But forum websites are not actually public spaces.  I'm also glad that eHam has a light touch.   But they don't have to.   Furthermore, this is not a political forum, or a forum in which to discuss the decline of society or the liberals vs. conservatives or the growing onslaught of "degenerates."  If it were my website I would only tolerate a little tiny bit of this kind of thread.  The internet is a big place and there are plenty of places to have this kind of discussion.  These are places I don't go because I don't actually like this kind of discussion but I have strong opinions on the role of "political correctness" and I feel compelled to speak out when people don't agree with me that it's a good idea.

One of the reasons I like eHam is that I can talk to people about what we have in common (ham radio) without issues like this coming up.  I know all too well that those issues are there.  I see flickers of it here or there.  But mostly we stick to the ham radio because THAT is the point of this space. I hope that we can mostly keep it that way because we are a community of radio amateurs gathered to discuss amateur radio.

Dan

W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 10:17:34 AM »

"Liberal" now means different things in the USA and the UK.

You'll have to explain to us what a "Liberal" means in the UK and how it is only Liberals that "enforce" political correctness.
Bob
KC8WUC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »

A bit late I the thread, but by referring to the original poster as being a pseudonym, I was referencing the fact that he had hid his identity from call sign databases. I thought perhaps if I looked up callsign I could see where the source/basis of his vitriol was, possibly seeing some other remarks he made that caused him to be "censored" on other blogs or forums.

Michael KC8WU /WDE9344
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2010, 03:36:08 PM »

A bit late I the thread, but by referring to the original poster as being a pseudonym, I was referencing the fact that he had hid his identity from call sign databases.

Oh ok Cheesy

I don't know if he actively hid it... not totally clear to me that Ofcom data is freely publicly available like FCC data is. But I could be wrong.

Dan

NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2010, 07:50:58 PM »

Well, freedom of speech on a private website is not unlimited.

IIRC, the other site elected to attempt to eliminate politics as unproductive and unless.

Since there are a couple million other websites were one might go to argue politics [I have one for instance], it's really not a free speech matter.

Just because you write a letter to the editor doe not mean he abridges your rights to free speech by chosing not to publish it.  I'm pretty sure our courts have decided that.

G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 01:33:38 AM »

Hi. Reason i am not on QRZ.COM, I am disabled,result of car accident,i do not want people just dropping in on me,as happens from time to time with a ham i know,and not being too mobile,giving my address out,online could invite thieves to come calling.Ofcom does not require QTH disclosure,I believe the FCC does. You are correct in saying that a site owner has a right to edit, to protect themselves from possible litagation,if nothing else. I was just making a general point about hypocracy,i do not need a "soapbox",of what possible benefit could that be too me?, this is essentially an American site,i do not need to propagate my views here,i have no plans to run for,the senate,the house of representatives,or indeed for President!. By liberals i meant the,anything goes brigade, who preach one thing,freedom of speech etc,but only up to a point,try disagreeing with a liberals opinion,and see how liberal they are then!. In this context liberals ,in America and Britain are the same. However this is not really a radio matter,i was just expressing a degree of sympathy with the guy who had prob with QRZ.COM. I have nothing against that site,though this one is much better all round.73 de Mike,G1WFK.
G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2010, 01:43:56 AM »

Hi.P.S.  G1WFK,is not a PSEUDONYM, its a British call-sign,and, Mike is not a PSEUDONYM, its my name,short for Michael. {as you,KC8WUC,should know,hihi}. However,you are correct,this is not the place for political discussions. So,someone start a new,radio,topic.73.Mike
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2010, 06:55:01 AM »

In the USA, the hypocrisy runs the political spectrum.  We have one party running on the them that "The Market" is a better arbitrator than government--individual choice over government choice.  Unless it is comes to enforcing their beliefs.  Then there has to be a law preventing people choosing what the Right doesn't like.

Here the political correctness police descend from the Left, Middle and Right.

73 OB
Bob
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2010, 09:53:53 AM »

It's obvious why this person has a gripe against QRZ.  His title on this thread says it all.  That site regulates posts much more rigorously than this one does, in order to keep things on a generally acceptable FAMILY basis centered on ham radio.  There are certain portions of that site--or a sister site run by the same people--that do allow generalized postings AND rants.

If you want to discuss ham radio, you can do it, but if you want to rant and rave and cause problems, you'll be sanctioned, and if you keep it up there, banned.

That is the main difference between that site and e-ham.
WB4TJH

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2010, 03:22:19 PM »

Anyone who hides behind some "secret identity" on a forum like this, instead of posting his/her actual call, has NO valid opinon on anything. As far as I'm concerned, and I'll bet hundreds of other hams share in my opinion of them, any remarks made by an "anonymous"  are totally worthless.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: