Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ban on QRZ.COM.  (Read 10609 times)
G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: November 24, 2010, 12:55:25 AM »

Hello,Chris and Bill.  Chris,thank you for your magnanimous words, its true,we all get carried away at times, and I agree,one should be able to express ones views without having to resort to four letter words and profanity, as all commenting on this thread have done.commendable restraint,gentlemen Smiley. Bill, thank you for your kind compliment,your knowledge of English expressions is excellent. A descendent of Edward 1. perhaps I should call you Sir!.HI HI. We could do with a Gentleman like you ,come over and claim the throne before William and Kate get their hands on it.!!!.  You could appoint me as your court jester.HI HI. Its been both interesting and fun chatting to you Gentlemen, Im off now to chase ZL8X,Kermadec Island, though due to station reorganization, for the moment im reduced to using my little Alinco,100 watts,and a 5RV, with the flux at 75, only hope is 20m cw. Still,the harder the task,the greater the glory,HI HI. Take care,73 from a very cold London. 73 de Mike,G1WFK. Smiley Wink Smiley
W4FID

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2010, 05:15:09 AM »

About every facet of life has rules and conditions and requirements and responsibilities.

A driver'slicense doesn't allow me to drive as I please .......... there are speed limits and stop signs and all.

The Second Ammendment and my CCW permit does not allow me to carry a gun everywhere or shoot someone. It has rules and requires responsibility on my part to be appropriate.

Even though the grocery store or Wal-Mart door is unlocked and it's a public place I still have to wait my turn in line and pay at the checkout.

QRZ is not a news media or journalistic outlet who's job and/or public trust is to convey unbiased info. It's a privately owned site. You can choose to visit or choose not to visit. They could incur liability for posting inappropriate comments and are not required to provide unlimited (or even any) bandwidth to anyone.

So the owners/operators of the site have guidelines -- even some rules -- that govern how they operate their site. I'm OK with that and take it for what it's worth to me. You are free to skip it if it doesn't suit your needs or feelings.
G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2010, 02:09:27 AM »

Hello,W4FID.  All that you stated is correct. But really not related to freedom of speech. I was really making a general point,rather than commenting on QRZ. Please read all of the posts re:this thread. It is becoming tiresome to have to keep repeating that I WAS NOT THE PERSON BANNED BY QRZ.!!!. I was commenting upon it. I get the impression,OM,that you are not aware of this.  73 de Michael.G1WFK.  PS. I acknowledge fully,Fred,s right to run his site his way. and i repeat,I have nothing against him,or QRZ.Its a good one,and well run. 73,Michael.
K1DA

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2010, 08:40:00 AM »

I'm with W7ETA.  BTW Mike, as a long time follower of Aunty Beeb,  ... it USED to be a fine news organization. 
G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2010, 01:23:27 AM »

Hi KiDA. You are 100% correct re: the BEEB. it USED to be a fine news outlet, but no longer,too much political interference from Governments here,and from the European Union { that organization makes makes an annual grant to the BBC,need I say more}. 73 de Mike.G1WFK. Smiley
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2010, 12:53:34 PM »

Well one can "look me up" in all the callsign databases.  All you are going to find is a PO Box number, I very seldom give out my residential address.  Lesson learned from long ago.

Mike
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2010, 04:18:42 PM »

Mike, here is something to consider.

If I were to send you a 4th class package, COD via the post office, you'd no doubt refuse it not knowing where it can from. The package would be returned to me, with your actual physical address. I lay odds you didn't know that!

G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2010, 01:52:11 AM »

Hi,Mike and Alan.  Mike, I too thought that a PO Box number would protect privacy,but a few weeks back,a Gentleman in California,informed me that he ,and others could discover hams addresses even those who used POBs. Now maybe he is in a job,that allows him access to information denied to the rest of us,but its a sad commentary on life today,that one is denied the basic freedom to privacy,its bad enough the Government snooping, { The previous government here,was practically Stalinist in its monitoring of the population,Britain was the most spied upon entity in the Western World,not by foreigners,but by its own government}.  Sad.  Alan,you win your bet, Smiley, The cheque is in the post,hi hi. Mike,Alan,enjoy your Day. 73 from a VERY COLD London. Mike.G1WFK.  Smiley
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: December 07, 2010, 03:54:16 AM »

Something else to consider as well--telephone service.  If a person were able to get your phone number, the internet allows reverse lookups.  That is getting a name and address from a phone number.  So even if you use a PO box, with the availability of records these days it is possible to get a lot of information about ANYONE without resorting to sending packages or other time and money consuming methods to do so.

Heck, having an unlisted phone number is impossible these days.  Even if the phone company won't give it out, there are other services that can get it--and WILL give it out--if you pay their user fee.  Why do you think that so many people are using their cell phones for ALL communication by phone?  One reason is to save money, but another is to prevent people from getting their phone number and calling them all the time.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2010, 11:22:06 PM »

If I were to send you a 4th class package, COD via the post office, you'd no doubt refuse it not knowing where it can from. The package would be returned to me, with your actual physical address. I lay odds you didn't know that!

Horse Feathers! Where did you read that?
First of all there's no "Fourth Class" mail anymore.
It's been called "Media Mail" for 15+ years now.

If a COD Parcel is sent to a P.O. Box, a notice is left in the box
for pickup at the retail window, then a second and third notice.
If it isn't picked up in a certain time period, it is simply returned to the sender.
No listing of the P.O. Box holder's physical address is ever put
on the package, nor on any other type of returned mail.

With the exception that if the Box addressee had MOVED (closed the P.O. Box),
and you had written "Do Not Forward, Address Correction Requested" on the package.

and even then, you would get their new physical address, not their old one under the old P.O. Box.

A LONG time ago anyone could go into the P.O., pay a fee, and get ANY Boxholder's Address
for NO REASON, but it hasn't been so for many, many years.

The only current exceptions outside Law Enforcement:

You CAN get the Boxholder's physical address if they are operating a business
out of the P.O. Box. You must present evidence that they ARE operating a business,
and make a written request to that office where the box is.

If the P.O. Box is not being used for business but you are involved in a court matter and need to serve the Boxholder, visit the post office and request the appropriate form. You will be required to provide certain details, such as the name of the court and case information. You'll also have to explain that the box holder is a party to the case in some way, such as a judgment debtor or defendant. You'll also have to certify that you will use the information only for serving court papers.

73, Ken  AD6KA
G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2010, 02:28:59 AM »

Chris, I can confirm what you write about unlisted phone numbers,at a previous residence LL phone number was unlisted,but i still got calls at all hours of the day and night ,not just from Britain,but from abroad as well. I no longer have an LL phone. Ken,cant comment on the mail issue,as i have no experience of it. 73 de Michael.G1WFK  Smiley
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2010, 08:33:04 AM »

Hi Michael:

I too thought that a PO Box number would protect privacy,but a few weeks back,a Gentleman in California,informed me that he ,and others could discover hams addresses even those who used POBs.

Perhaps they were misinterpreting this FCC regulation:

§ 97.23 Mailing Address.
Each license grant must show the grantee’s correct name and mailing address.[ The mailing address must be in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service. Revocation of the station license or suspension of the operator license may result when correspondence from the FCC is returned as undeliverable because the grantee failed to provide the correct mailing address.

A Post Office Box is a perfectly valid mailing address as far as the FCC is concerned, as long as, as is stated, the box is "in an area where the amateur service is regulated by the FCC and where the grantee can receive mail delivery by the United States Postal Service".
No mention of physical address, just mailing address.

73,  Ken  AD6KA
K7ZP

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2010, 11:52:13 AM »

There is an annual contest at Texas A&M University calling for the most appropriate definition of a contemporary term.

This year's term was:  "Political Correctness"

The winner wrote:

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of s#*t by the clean end. "

Frank, K7ZP
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2010, 02:00:59 PM »

Hi,Mike and Alan.  Mike, I too thought that a PO Box number would protect privacy,but a few weeks back,a Gentleman in California,informed me that he ,and others could discover hams addresses even those who used POBs. Now maybe he is in a job,that allows him access to information denied to the rest of us

Nah.  I think it was probably me who told you that, and it's impossible to hide behind a P.O. Box if you've ever used the internet.  You leave a trail.  I'm not in this business at all, but I think anyone who knows how to use a computer can do the same thing.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&safe=active&q=8+Windsor+Road,+Reydon,+Southwold,+Suffolk&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hq=&hnear=8+Windsor+Rd,+Reydon,+Southwold,+Suffolk+IP18+6PQ,+UK&gl=us&ei=IlEBTZm9O5KynAew1MnlDQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CBcQ8gEwAA

G1WFK

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2010, 02:18:44 AM »

Thanks a lot WB2WIK.  What you got against me?. Mike.  Huh
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: