Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mobile radio mouting  (Read 2226 times)
N1SGL

Ignore
« on: November 10, 2010, 12:53:09 PM »

I just bought a Kenwood TM-V71A mobile and want to mount it in my 2005 Ford Five Hundred. Anybody have any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated. 73 Rick KB1UUV Undecided
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 02:48:54 PM »

Go to my web site, and look in the Photo Gallery for ideas. The Other_Installs album is the one you want.

N1SGL

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 03:11:58 PM »

Thanks, looks like under the seat with external speaker etc. is the best idea.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 04:21:33 PM »

The two things that are important, are the wiring, and the antenna mounting. Remembering that the Ford 500 has several on-board CPUs connected via two data busses, you sure don't want to create a ground loop, or generate any common mode current.

N1SGL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 04:40:34 PM »

Why can't things be simple:) I am going to use a mag mount on the roof. Hopefully that won't create a problem. Really appreciate the input. Did i mention I am new to this?? 73's
WX7G

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 04:49:55 PM »

What is this "mouting" of which you speak?
N1SGL

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2010, 04:04:50 AM »

Sorry, "mounting" is the correct word.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2010, 06:39:03 AM »

It will. I reminded you above about common mode, for which mag mounts are notorious. If you put RF inside the vehicle, you are going to have problems, some of which you won't realize. Go to my web site, and read the Electronics article.

N1SGL

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 07:23:30 AM »

Interesting article. Any recommendations for a dual band antenna?
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 09:28:24 AM »

One has to ask oneself two questions.

If Pacific rim antennas were so good, why don't you see commercial radio shops using them?

Then, why is the Larsen NMO2/70BK the most popular dual band antenna sold?

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2010, 01:05:12 PM »

One has to ask oneself two questions.

If Pacific rim antennas were so good, why don't you see commercial radio shops using them?

Then, why is the Larsen NMO2/70BK the most popular dual band antenna sold?

Are you stealing my lines? <g>

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2010, 02:38:17 PM »

It's true Lon; you and I are on the same page!

It is a truly unfortunate fact, that your average amateur looks at one, single attribute when selecting a VHF antenna. And that is, it's reputed gain! I say reputed, because most Pacific rim antenna companies do not quantify their gain figures with the requisite suffix (i or d, as the case may be). What's more, little if any attention is paid to the size of the coils, and hence their Q. In other words, even though they might (with some doubt) indeed have the gain they say they do, the question remains how much of their input power ends up heating those tiny coils, and isn't radiated?

I'll do my best here to refrain mentioning the other big error too often made, which is the effective gain vs. mounting style argument. Ugh!

N1SGL

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2010, 04:25:47 PM »

So, after looking through different websites for antenna's, mobile that is, the Larsen NMO 2/70BK I will guess is a rooftop mount? I am trying to figure out the letters that go with the antenna and that is what I came up with. Correct me if I am wrong on the configuration. Also, thanks for all the input. It helps a lot.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2010, 05:07:24 PM »

So, after looking through different websites for antenna's, mobile that is, the Larsen NMO 2/70BK I will guess is a rooftop mount? I am trying to figure out the letters that go with the antenna and that is what I came up with. Correct me if I am wrong on the configuration. Also, thanks for all the input. It helps a lot.

The nomenclature is:

NMO - type of mount
270 - frequencies covered
BK - color of the whip

There are several NMO mounts: through hole, magnetic, angle brackets ... The most common way of mounting is a through-hole in either the roof or a trunk deck.

I have used both with equal success - trunk deck on sedans and middle of the roof on SUVs and minivans. The ONLY way I would use a magnetic mount is for emergency use on a vehicle that is not mine.

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
N1SGL

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 03:30:30 PM »

Thank you for all you advice. I should have everything Monday and be able to start the installation.
Rick
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: