Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Don't want to seem rude  (Read 3173 times)
KI4JGT

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2010, 10:31:09 AM »

Hey guys I'm working on http://www.smashindex.com 's smashindex logger program and I am implementing Gentleman's Rules into the program. Kind of a message which loads into the screen and helps the op to better operate during field day. I haven't integrated it into the official program yet. I'm thinking about integrating it into next year's edition so everyone who has downloaded this edition won't have to redownload. Anyway this is what I have so far.

Code:
    GMR$(1) = "USB AND LSB DO NOT TRANSMIT ON THE FREQUENCY SHOWN ON THE TRANSMITTER"
    GMR$(2) = "THE INTERNATIONAL PHONETICS WERE CREATED FOR A REASON"
    GMR$(3) = "REMEMBER TO SPEAK SLOWLY AND CLEARLY"
    GMR$(4) = "CONTESTING IS NOT LEGALLY ALLOWED ON CERTAIN FREQUENCIES"
    GMR$(5) = "599 IS A SCALE NOT AN ABSOLUTE CONFIMATION"

Keep in mind, I don't want them to be rude. Just a simple reminder to the operator that says. Through all the fun, there are still rules.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 10:36:23 AM »

O yeah, sorry, the computer randomly selects one to show to the user. It doesn't force the user to see all of them at once. There is one line in the program which displays what ever rule the computer randomly selects at that time.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 12:57:06 PM »

Frankly, a really, really bad idea.

In a "Ham Radio Licensing Study Program"
for newbies, yes. In contest logging software, NO.

I know you're heart is in the right place,
but I think those type of messages are patronizing
and unnecessary. Really, who want's annoying pop
ups in any logging program. All they would
do is interupt the flow of operating. If you're sitting
on a busy freq running stations, a good operator get's into
a nice rhythm. The messages would be disruptive,
as he stops taking calls and has to kill the message.

Surely there are dozens of more useful features
you could be working on. Mulitpliers worked
by band, partial call check, beam headings,
rates, running score tab, and on and on and on.

If you do decide to go ahead and incorporate these
"reminders", for goodness sakes include a prominent "disable" feature,
not one buried in the software "setup".

K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2010, 01:37:27 PM »

Frankly, a really, really bad idea.

I know you're heart is in the right place,

The above quote is right on...

I don't want to seem rude but - I downloaded your logger and tried it out. Pretty basic and confusing, like no other logger I have ever seen. I guess you just like to program and there is nothing wrong with that.

The Question is why would anyone want to use your logger? There are many really great contest loggers out there. Like N1MM which is fantastic and has just about every feature a contester could want. And N1MM is free..

Why re-invent the wheel?

Stan K9IUQ

AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »

I too just downloaded your logger and tried it out.
It was, well.......different.
Question:Where does your logger show the op's score, if it does at all?

Look, I applaud your efforts at programming, and something free at that.
But I fear you face a Sisyphean task ahead of you if you ever
hope to catch up to what others have been offering for free
for decades.

I re-read your first post, and was wondering if you
could please explain two "Gentlemen's Rules" you listed.
I've only been a ham for 24 years, so I must have missed these two:
"599 IS A SCALE NOT AN ABSOLUTE CONFIMATION"
I have no idea what this means in regards to Gentlemanly Operating, if at all.
and "REMEMBER TO SPEAK SLOWLY AND CLEARLY".
Clearly is good! But after 30+ hours in front of a mic, it's hard sometimes.
And speaking slowly in a SSB contest will get you
run over like a possum crossing the Interstate!  Grin

Good Luck, Jesse
73, Ken  AD6KA

KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 01:01:01 PM »

Thanks guys umm. I don't know. I really did it just for the enjoyment. It wouldn't be a pop up. It displays in the program itself out of the operator's imediate line of sight, but just enough to catch their peripheral vision.

Why reinvent the wheel?
At the time I made it, I didn't realize I was. All the logging programs I could find, had GUIs and no one in our club wanted to fool with them. Because you had to click here, click there and none of them used a direct approach. It was in no way straight forward. That is why I made it. It's just a straight through log after log, with no clicking involved.

CW 599
I've heard several ops complaining on how every station they work gives them a 599 anymore. I realize that it's about being friendly what not, but the op should at least give an accurate signal report and not just stamp everyone they contact with an automatic 599

Understand the slowly LOL ok that's officially been moved to clearly thanks. Hope this clears things up a little. :-)

I am working on a point system, as well as getting the program to only display the last 20 entries only. Filling up the screen every time the log is loaded will start to take a while after about 2-3 pages.

73 and thanks guys.
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 01:34:58 PM »

CW 599
I've heard several ops complaining on how every station they work gives them a 599 anymore. I realize that it's about being friendly what not,
73 and thanks guys.

It is not about being friendly. I do not want to be your friend in a contest. I don't want your name, QTH or a real RST. I want your call and exchange as FAST as possible.

599 is always given a contest. Even if you give a 579 a contester is gonna log it as 599. The reason being is it is faster. Loggers have 599 as a default and you do not even have to type it in.

Speed is what it is all about in contesting, anything that slows one down gets tossed....

Stan K9IUQ
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2010, 06:03:43 PM »

That's kind of cheating, don't you think? what's the point? If people are just going to forget about something, why even worry about having it written down? Why even require it?  I mean isn't Field Day supposed to prepare us? So if we're not using something any more, why is it even included in our logging software or our logs for that matter? If we've included it to teach ourselves, then we're skipping the lesson and have no point in learning it any way.

At any rate: I am planning to remove that comment from my program due to the fact that my program doesn't log that information and since everyone thinks it's something that needs to be skipped, then I don't see any point in including it.

Not trying to sound all self righteous here. just wondering why we're still trained to use it, if no one actually does.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2010, 06:56:29 PM »

That's kind of cheating, don't you think? what's the point? If people are just going to forget about something, why even worry about having it written down? Why even require it?  I mean isn't Field Day supposed to prepare us? So if we're not using something any more, why is it even included in our logging software or our logs for that matter?

Easy, Jesse. As far as default 59 or 599 report in
exchanges, Stan was talking about contesting.

Why even require it?

Why require it indeed, Jesse?
You call your "SmashIndex Logger 2011" a "Field Day logger".
A signal report is NOT REQUIRED as part of the Field Day Exchange at all.

And unless or until it generates the operators total score
AND exports all QSO info in Cabrillo Format, maybe you should call it
a "General Purpose Logging Program".

But I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that you are working on these features.  Grin
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010, 01:48:21 PM »

I've added RST reports. I've got it where it exports to HTML and it no longer prints the entire log on the screen. It prints the last ten logged stations. I feel this will keep it from tying up as much. I haven't uploaded it to the site yet. I want to release it as 2012. which will be download-able in about a week, when I get all the bugs worked out. :-) My uncle says I need to make it a general logger also, I think I'm gonna take his advice.
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2010, 03:43:10 PM »

Good deal Jesse.
I would also change your "Exchange" field
on the program from the one field marked "Traffic" into
two fields. One labeled "Class" and one labeled "Section"
for clarity.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2010, 09:44:41 PM »

I'm gonna have to leave traffic alone (or at least as one field. I don't want to bombard the user with too many questions LOL.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2010, 05:47:06 AM »

I would be interested in taking a look at it, but there is no source available, just the executable

Since you are hosting the file on Sourceforge, please consider uploading the program source.
KI4JGT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2010, 09:06:19 AM »

LOL, sorry, I completely forgot to upload that :-) It's done.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: