Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Won't Be Renewing - eHam a dog  (Read 36623 times)
NA7I

Ignore
« on: November 11, 2010, 07:20:20 PM »

eHam used to be a site I frequented. No more. I will not be renewing my subscription.

It really does not matter what your reasons for all the sloooowwwwwly loading ad banners are. If you can't cut it, get out of the market.

I don't have time to waste watching b.s. between each page.

bye bye
NA7I

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2010, 07:22:06 PM »

In fact, at this rate, I predict your website will be offline, long gone, by next summer.
NA7I
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2010, 09:02:54 PM »

Based on your comments I gather you are having some issue with either banner or page loading.

I am very sorry that the site has been frustrating to use.

As far as I know yours is the first report.  I do know that I have seen some slow loading issues with our
ad server setup over the last week or so but only a few times and only for short periods.  In fact just last week we moved the ads to a different bit of server hardware and I thought it was working quite well, it sounds like we have some further tweaking to work out.

It would be most helpful if you could provide me with more details about what you have seen so I can work on resolving this issue.
Time of day? 
How long you were seeing the problems?
Other things you have seen?

Thanks for the heads up.  I will look at this issue and it's possible causes.

Of course as I use the site right now it is loading very quickly for me.

Thank You

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 09:17:15 PM by George » Logged

George
K5TR
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2010, 07:28:49 AM »

Bob,

Thanks for the report.

We made a change to the ad server this morning that appears to have taken out further loading delays (short) that we have been  trying to solve.  There was a longer hanging problem with the ad server that we were seeing - we hope we have also killed that off but we will not know for sure until we live with real loads over time.

The delay in the forum loading that you see - has this been recently?

We did have an issue with the forums that was also affecting the site in general that we finally figured out last a month or two ago.
It was one of those loading issues that would only happen every so often under the right conditions and so it was hard to be watching when it would occur.   I was very happy when I finally figured out what was going on with that one.

Thanks for the reports and we will keep working to improve page loading times.

George
K5TR
K0IZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2010, 08:04:46 AM »

George, I'm impressed with your responsiveness to comments.

I go into eHam fairly often during the day/early evening, and haven't noticed any great delays.  Depending upon one's ISP, problem might be local congestion rather than your site.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2010, 10:42:50 AM »

George, its probably been a couple of weeks since I've seen it.

73, Bob
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2010, 04:50:08 PM »

to NA7I,

Before you leave eHam.net...

please clear your  browser cache and then shutdown
the browser and restart it and see what happens.

Since I have a paid subscription with eHam.net,
I use Firefox with FlashBlock and never see the ads.

Once in a while the site is slow loading in the evenings,
but then recovers and is robust.
I'm on a fast connection at the university NCSU.EDU

73 james
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 04:52:24 PM by James » Logged
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2010, 10:32:33 AM »

Personal opinion for what's it's worth. I don't believe the issue is eham.net per sé. Every time, not just once in a while mind you, but every time the site is slow, it's waiting on Google analytics to respond.

At least know, I see that as the last load.

K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2010, 10:33:29 AM »

The ad server change we made yesterday morning seems to have help the issues that I was seeing with that part of the site loading.  Yesterday during the day I did a lot of testing and page load times seemed really good.  I also made some tweaks to page layout that was causing some ads to load in the middle of the page before the page was fully loaded.  So far (for me) the site feels fairly fast.  I am always working to improve page load times.  

Thanks again for for all the input.

George
K5TR
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2010, 10:36:50 AM »

Personal opinion for what's it's worth. I don't believe the issue is eham.net per sé. Every time, not just once in a while mind you, but every time the site is slow, it's waiting on Google analytics to respond.

At least know, I see that as the last load.

That may be the case - and if something from Google is slower to load then my stuff I feel like I am making progress.
The Google analytics stuff is something that I could turn off but it is useful for me as a way to track usage of the site. It tells me a lot of detail about what parts of the site are most used and other such information.

George
K5TR
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2010, 12:09:13 PM »

Another thing to keep in mind is the possibility of the internet security programs that may be being used by individuals on their computers.  Offen times, the security program may stop the loading until it's done with the security scan it may be set to do.  I've got Norton Internet Security on my machine, and sometimes I see loading delays too when the internet is busiest, like in the evenings.

I'm not saying that is the ultimate cause, but it is another thing to check on when looking for a problem.  In other words, it may not even be a specific site--it may be YOUR machine!

73!
« Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:12:15 PM by Chris J. Smith » Logged
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2010, 04:17:24 AM »

Hi George et al,
Even when I'm not very concerned by the topic posted by the OP, nor I endorse the impoliteness and lack of education that his post evidences, I realize that this problem can in fact be frustrating to other users.

GA and external server ads are a problem not only in eHam, of course; most ISPs these days force www through a compulsory proxy so the perceived speed of serving a page for the user POV is really much faster than if the request were actually served from the internet. These scheme has some advantages but a key con is the fact that request that cannot be cached in the proxy must concur in the ISP's pipe and those pipes sometimes are sub-dimensioned particularly in peak traffic hours. The perceived effect is a slowdown.

Here's for me another chance to bring up Slashdot that I'm rush: jump on your 1997 Malibu, go to the airport and take a fly to 2010certainly not letting pass over: /. sets and option for "good karma" users to permit them block ads. Since eHam doesn't have a karma system, could you George consider to let subscribers set a no ads option?

Anyway, I can't believe there are people out there without AdBlock Plus... it's 2010, come on (I do realize that this line could be counter productive...)

73 de Fer
WY3X

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2010, 08:35:35 AM »

As a "pay" member, I believe that I have the right to either A. not have ads sent to me from the website and/or B. I have the right to run ad-blocking software so I'm not annoyed by ads. Others may not agree with me, and that's your prerogative.

I use FireFox and SeaMonkey (Mozilla-based) browsers, and install NoScript script blocker and Adblock Plus add-ins, along with WOT (Web Of Trust). These generally block all ads, and the few that get by, I can right-click and tell my computer to block them. They also help protect you from being re-directed to malicious websites and stop pop-ups dead in their tracks. (Even ones that you may desire, but you are given the option to allow them either TEMPORARILY or PERMANENTLY on a per-site basis.) At the end of a session you can revoke all temporary permissions.

If ads are your issue, I can almost guarantee a 100% success rate at blocking them with these measures, and your browsing experience will be 100% improved!

Nothing personal against the eHam webmasters, but I absolutely despise ads interfering with my browsing experience. I haven't purchased anything based on an ad "informing" me of a product in the last 20 years, and don't intend to start now. And yes, I mute advertisement audio on all TV commercials too! (And would blank the picture as well if given the option!)

73, -WY3X
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2010, 10:46:13 AM »

If ads are your issue, I can almost guarantee a 100% success rate at blocking them with these measures, and your browsing experience will be 100% improved!
It's very clear that his issues are not the ads themselves, but his inability to properly deal with today's www.

...I haven't purchased anything based on an ad "informing" me of a product in the last 20 years, and don't intend to start now. And yes, I mute advertisement audio on all TV commercials too! (And would blank the picture as well if given the option!)
I made a similar decision years ago too and I don't feel like missing anything important.

The fact is that for some time on, web ads will be there because if their impact or effectiveness is questionable, one thing about them is that  they provide a mean for community sites like this one to partially fill the bill, which can grow very fast as the user base expands. At the very least, setting an option for members to disable ads, they constitute a good incentive to get new subscribers.

I do use adblock and noscript of course, but as a member of some community sites where I'm not a subscriber (like here) I let the ads run and click on some of them time to time to let the site get a click count.
But eHam really needs a policy to limit announcers: here I'm typing next to two ads, one for the N3ZN paddles which is an image, and perfectly fine with me, and the bottom one with bees that's the most stupid and annoying thing you could ever conceive if you had lost half your brain. This kind of ad is what compels people to hit Ctrl-W ASAP, or install adblockplus.

73 de Fer
K5TR
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2010, 09:11:50 AM »

Here's for me another chance to bring up Slashdot that I'm rush: jump on your 1997 Malibu, go to the airport and take a fly to 2010certainly not letting pass over: /. sets and option for "good karma" users to permit them block ads. Since eHam doesn't have a karma system, could you George consider to let subscribers set a no ads option?

Fer,

I have considered this before and rejected it for a number of reasons.  But I am always open to suggestions and perhaps we could offer this in the future.  We do it on the DX spots page now - there is one ad there that only shows up if you are not logged in or if you are not a subscriber.  It is a google ad on the right hand side of the page.  So I am not totally against the idea.  Perhaps I could start with
that - being a subscriber would make google ads go away. 

As you note - these ads do help pay for the web site - and at over 4 million page views a month this is not a trivial matter.

Thanks for the comments.

George
K5TR
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: