Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Won't Be Renewing - eHam a dog  (Read 36269 times)
LU2DFM

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2010, 02:47:00 PM »

As you note - these ads do help pay for the web site - and at over 4 million page views a month this is not a trivial matter.

George,
Yes, I'm really aware of the importance of GA. I do housekeeping for some community/not-for-profit sites and most important money incoming frequently comes from there.

I don't know if both incomes (GA and subscriptions) are overlapping, i.e. if the subscribers are also the clickers in the adds. I suspect that the 4M hit should include a lot of non-subscribers, but you'll have to do the math yourself ;-)
Anyway, I stand by my statement that the real problem is not the advertising by itself, but the annoyance that some of the advertising produces. I do know that you have little or no control over that.

I'm sorry for rising up the question on adblock. The fact is that it's not reasonable to expect the current status quo in this area to persist too long into the future, so it's good for everyone to think about alternatives now before adsense comes to a stop.

PS: sorry about the interpolation in the previous post, it slipped.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2010, 12:00:11 PM »

I really suggest you do this, most Ham operators do not live in the Big Cities with 5mb internet connections, most Hams live in rural areas and use Dial up.   Project that on a Global level and it even gets worst, I know Hams that use their Cell phone's Edge connection to link their Laptops to the Net, thats slower than even Dialup Shocked

I have considered this before and rejected it for a number of reasons.  But I am always open to suggestions and perhaps we could offer this in the future.

snip

Thanks for the comments.

WN2C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2010, 09:32:39 AM »

What adds??  I don't see any and am not experiencing any real slowness in pages loading.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2010, 08:31:49 AM »

Oh, the ads are there.  It's just that you don't really pay any attention to them.  --Neither do I.
N4MJG

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2010, 10:45:52 AM »

I never have any problem ! i built lotta computers over years never a problem  on Eham !

Jackie
N4MJG
WWW.N4MJG.COM
W1RKW

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2010, 02:31:43 PM »

Tip for everyone.

If you want to block ads on any website simply determine the web address where the ad originates and block it with a modification to you Windows hosts file.  For example if you want to block ads on CNN.com right click on the ad and open its properties.  Chances are it will reveal the web address where the ad originates from.  Copy the web address to your hosts file located on your C drive and block it by directing it to IP address 127.0.0.1 .  To alter the hosts file use this example:  127.0.0.1  ads.cnn.com

And if you want to protect your computer from malicious websites, unwanted popups, and many other annoying things, visit www.mvps.org and down load their host file and install it into your windows hosts file.  You can also use this to block websites altogether if you want to prevent someone in your household from accessing a questionable website. 

Good luck.
KB6YH

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2010, 10:31:21 AM »

Eham works great for me. I have no complaints. 73 Bill KB6YH
W4KVW

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2010, 09:00:45 PM »

ZERO issues here?Guess SOME peope may have a SLOW service & want to blame your site? Huh
I think the site will do JUST FINE without him so keep up the GREAT work guys! }:>)

GOD BLESS,
Clayton
W4KVW
AD6KA

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2010, 10:53:10 PM »

most Ham operators do not live in the Big Cities with 5mb internet connections, most Hams live in rural areas and use Dial up.

MOST hams use Dial Up? That's just silly.
Come on, let's see your data.
Or is it just anecdotal, or opinion?

You'll have to define "Big Cities" too.
Broadband in the USA has penetrated %75 of rural areas as
of the Second Quarter of 2009. With "rural areas" being defined
as "markets (towns) of less than 10,000 people".

Here's real world data, not "help all us poor Hams livin' down in the holler".
Internet Usage Breakdown by State, Income, Population Density,
(Urban, Rural, Principal City), Education, Employment, Education,
much , much more:
http://www.internetworldstats.com/am/USA_Internet_Usage_2007.pdf
And
http://www.internetworldstats.com/am/us.htm
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: December 11, 2010, 07:59:02 AM »

Cable modems aren't in use just in 'big cities', and most of the time wherever there are cable modems available, the speed that can be had with them is well above 5mbps speeds.  AAMOF, the 5mbps speed is what is available on DSL installations in most urban and suburban areas.

Comcast, for example, has speeds available through cable modems approaching 30 mbps in my area, a SMALL city. 
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: December 11, 2010, 08:24:27 AM »

I'm of the notion, that folks who are still on dial-up, are just too cheap to upgrade to high speed access.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #26 on: December 11, 2010, 12:53:14 PM »

I'm of the notion, that folks who are still on dial-up, are just too cheap to upgrade to high speed access.

Amen!

I live in a town of about 20k and I pay $20/mo for a 3mbps DSL connection. 5mbps is available for $30.

If I wanted to pay Comcast's rates (which I don't) I could get 30mbps, too, but I don't need that much speed enough to pay their outrageous (in my area) rates.

I'm betting the overwhelming majority of eHam users are NOT on dial-up.

« Last Edit: December 11, 2010, 12:55:35 PM by Lon Kinley » Logged

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB3HG

Ignore
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2010, 04:44:43 AM »

Quote from: K0BG on December 11, 2010, 08:24:27 AM

It is what it is.

I have Verizon DSL (Dead Slow Line) There are many times when I check my speed and a 56K twisted pair @ 41k would be faster, other times I'm 321K. But when I can read at the bottom of my screen waiting on ad whatever to load, it is what it is slow. I don't have to like it but I accept it. Verizon keeps sending me stuff to go FIOS, They can't get it right with DSL so why waste money hoping for better service with FIOS. I went through June, July and August with dead slow or no DSL service. Many hours wasted on hold to India bad lines to customer service and then the twenty questions and never a problem with anything on my property, always about half a mile away at a slick (Jbox).

Comcast not a chance, as bad or worse than Verizon, Am currently looking at Dish internet. A coworker has it and is very pleased.

Never could figure out how somebody could sell 24/365 service and not support it on weekends or night. Fiduciary responsibilities or not only 8 to 5 service appointment times.

Tom Kb3hg

KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2010, 11:10:41 AM »

I use Firefox w/ Adblock Plus.  I understand the need for the ads.  There was a time a year ago I thought the 'Net was slowing during the day.  I have been laid off so during the morning hours I was searching for work/jobs and such.  Maybe there were many others doing the same thing.

I don't see were this site or any other lately is slow.  I live in the sticks, yet have DSL (5 miles from a town, pop. 4,000).  Did a speed check just the other day, 0.96 Mb/s d/l and 0.21 Mb/s u/l.  Yeah, it could be faster I guess, but I am able to watch TV shows online (Fancast.com) with very little problems (second video card to send to TV).  Those ads in the TV online are only 30 sec long, hardly enough time to get a beer from the refrigerator!

A ham friend and I were just talking about blocking the other day and how Google has its fingers in everything.

W1RKW, you got my attention with the "host" file.  I looked and could not find anything like that in my C: drive.  I do not use Internet Explorer, could this be why I do not have this file?

Mike
AA4HA

Ignore
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2010, 12:34:13 PM »

Site Admins,
I have no complaints at all about the site and find it invaluable and each day I learn something else from other hams. I spend probably 4-5 more time on eHam than on QRZ or some of the other complimentary sites. (watch, now QRZ will ban me for blasphemy <g>).

The ads have not hindered my navigation of the site and I have frequented a few of the vendors listed, in response to their ads that remind me of something I need or want.

I am on the site so often that when I type in nearly any ham or radio related query into Google it places eHam posts near the top of my sorted results (I use a signed in Google account so it tracks me). I know this helps with Google analytics and page ranking. Anything that brings more hams to eHam where they can contribute and learn is a good thing.

I need to recognize that the person who started this thread, critical of eHam is not a very prolific poster or has not been around for very long with only 7 posts to his account. If you were hearing complaints from folks who have a few hundred or a few thousand postings then it would be worrisome.

thanks for all of your efforts,
Tisha Hayes
AA4HA

Ms. Tisha Hayes, AA4HA
Lookout Mountain, Alabama
Pages: Prev 1 [2] 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: