Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Won't Be Renewing - eHam a dog  (Read 36566 times)
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2010, 05:03:38 PM »

Ditto to Tisha's conclusions.

eHam runs fine for me.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2010, 04:56:43 AM »

'You can't please all the people all of the time, so be happy if you end up pleasing most of the people most of the time.'

I think e-ham has done just that.

Addition---E-ham runs just fine for me too.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:03:16 PM by K1CJS » Logged
N2MG
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2010, 11:38:31 AM »

I need to recognize that the person who started this thread, critical of eHam is not a very prolific poster or has not been around for very long with only 7 posts to his account. If you were hearing complaints from folks who have a few hundred or a few thousand postings then it would be worrisome.

Thanks for the kind words.

A point however... Not everyone who frequents eHam is neccessarily a high-volume poster to the boards.  Some only want to check out the ads, or the reviews or maybe the news.  We certainly want to respect their views.  If they are experiencing some sort of problem, we'd like to hear about, and (importantly) be given a chance to resolve it.  Not sure we were given the chance in this instance.
K2FOX

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2011, 11:37:36 AM »

I'm of the notion, that folks who are still on dial-up, are just too cheap to upgrade to high speed access.

Having high speed internet is nice, but maybe dial up is all they can afford. 

Calling them "cheap" is a "cheap shot".
N1UK

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »

High speed internet is not available to some people.....such as myself...I have been waiting for DSL for 8 years now.

Mark N1UK
KP2Z

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: May 31, 2011, 05:58:04 PM »

I find the eHam FB. The ads don't bother me. In fact I find them useful. One click on a Giga Parts ad takes me to the sweepstakes contest with the bonus question! Or two clicks and I'm checking out an advertisers used equipment section. So eHam team, keep up the good work.

Tony KP2Z
W9CW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2011, 08:48:23 AM »

The ads don't bother me either, as it's necessary to help keep the site up and running.  I've checked the site with IE, Firefox, Opera, and Chrome, but I normally use Firefox.  The site is a bit slow to initially load, and Firefox is a bit sluggish with this.  The fastest browser for the initial load by far is Opera.  Perhaps the OP needs to consider the use of another browser.

Don W9CW
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 12:44:04 PM »

High speed internet is not available to some people.....such as myself...I have been waiting for DSL for 8 years now.

Mark N1UK

Mark,
High speed internet IS available to you, but maybe you don't want or are not aware of satellite internet by Hughes.  The start-up costs may be a bit high, and the price may be a little higher per month than DSL, but it is available in all parts of the US.

Understand, I'm not trying to call you cheap, but your excuse really doesn't hold water--if you WANT high speed internet. that is!  Maybe you just don't want it bad enough--just as some other people don't  73!

Chris, K1CJS
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 12:51:53 PM »

I live in a town of about 20k and I pay $20/mo for a 3mbps DSL connection. 5mbps is available for $30.

If I wanted to pay Comcast's rates (which I don't) I could get 30mbps, too, but I don't need that much speed enough to pay their outrageous (in my area) rates.

I'm betting the overwhelming majority of eHam users are NOT on dial-up.

Lon, not to say you're wrong, but Comcast has different service packages.  Some of those are higher priced--and some are downright ridiculous.  For example, if I were to want ONLY an internet connection--30 MBPS--it would cost me $40 a month plus fees and taxes.  BUT....  I can get Comcast internet AND phone service combined--for $45 a month plus fees and taxes!

Imagine that!  A land line phone for $5 a month!   Grin  You would be hard pressed to get a land line phone alone for $25 a month.

AAMOF, once I get back to work, that is just what I'm going to do.  73!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:07:27 PM by K1CJS » Logged
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: June 16, 2011, 01:00:54 PM »

....I have Verizon DSL (Dead Slow Line) There are many times when I check my speed and a 56K twisted pair @ 41k would be faster, other times I'm 321K. But when I can read at the bottom of my screen waiting on ad whatever to load, it is what it is slow. I don't have to like it but I accept it. Verizon keeps sending me stuff to go FIOS, They can't get it right with DSL so why waste money hoping for better service with FIOS....

DSL involves too many junction points and signal amplifiers--and old twisted pairs and trunk cables--to do much better than 5 to 7 mpbs IN URBAN AREAS.  They're hard pressed to do 1 mpbs in outlying areas.  Considering that FIOS is new equipment, the reason that it is failing isn't the equipment, but the science.  Fiber optics has come a long way, but broadband fiber optics seems to be still in its infancy--as shown by Verizon and its inability to offer consistently stable service.

FIOS is being reexamined and the deployment of the service has been slowed to the point that it isn't going out fast at all.  That is word of mouth from my cousin, who is a senior supervisor with Verizon.

It seems that cable will continue to be the premier broadband service for a while yet.  
« Last Edit: June 16, 2011, 01:05:31 PM by K1CJS » Logged
KJ4FUU

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 08:21:13 AM »

eham.net at home, using a recent version of FireFox works fine.

At work, it's a different situation. Unfortunately, due to legacy application issues, I am still using IE6. When I go to the reviews, I get Javascript errors. Also, I had to add a bunch of doubleclick's addresses into my hosts file set to 127.0.0.1, because some of doubleclick's ActiveX/Javascript would lock up my browser. It might be something that would eventually render, but I didn't have the time to waste.

I occasionally get a Javascript error in the forums, also.

-- Tom
TWORLD1000

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 03:01:28 PM »

It's really not the fault of the site. I may be wrong but if you use an older computer you will find much slower browser than a newer generation computer. Run task manager on your computer you will find that your browser takes up  a lot of memory of the computer. I have a hobby of having multiple sessions of the browser and each with a number of tabs. They really load up the memory and slow down quite significantly my computer.

If your computer has less than 1GB of memory you definitely will not like the speed of your browser. It is really the java script running on your computer that takes up the resource of the computer.  The browser is free (such as Firefox) but there is no free lunch really. The java script is for those banners, video clips and and all the commercials taking time to trying to catch your attention.  Java is the cause of the problem of slow browsers for older computers, if you happen to use one.

I found eHAM excellent, although I just joined recently. I do not feel it slow at all.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 03:08:10 PM by TWORLD1000 » Logged
SWMAN

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2011, 03:58:52 AM »

I use a cheap little old Blackberry and I have no problem veiwing, loading or any other problem using Eham. I guess
Mr. Dick must have other problems with his computor or something else. Eham is my favorite of all ham sights, keep up the good work Eham and 73 to you guys.
 Jim. W5JJG
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2011, 11:05:53 AM »

I use a cheap little old Blackberry and I have no problem veiwing, loading or any other problem using Eham. I guess
Mr. Dick must have other problems with his computor or something else. Eham is my favorite of all ham sights, keep up the good work Eham and 73 to you guys.
 Jim. W5JJG

The original post was made a year ago.  I liked the part where the entire eHam site was going to fail and go offline because there was a period of 5 minutes where the ad-server was acting numb.

KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2011, 11:07:03 AM »

And at least he (the original poster) stuck to his guns. Credit where credit is due hahaha.

Last active:   November 11, 2010, 10:21:41 PM

Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: