Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: ft-857 antenna tuner  (Read 8030 times)
KJ4MRK

Ignore
« on: November 13, 2010, 02:48:48 PM »

I'm looking to buy an antenna tuner for my ft-857d. I'm not looking at the fc-40. Does anybody have any other ideas I would like to keep it under 300 dollars if I can thanks.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2010, 02:50:44 PM »

That depends on what you intend to do with the tuner. The FC-40 is a single ended tuner, meant to feed a single wire. If you're going to use coax, perhaps you should look at one of the LDG units which matches your Yaesu. So done, the process of retuning is very simple. Just a touch of a button on the tuner.

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2010, 03:21:55 PM »

One more vote for LDG --

If you're using a coax-fed antenna, consider an LDG auto-tuner.  The Z-11 Pro (Pro +?  Pro II?) would be my choice, and it's well under $300.  It works with any rig, no "rig-to-antenna" control wires needed.

Charles
N4NYY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »

3rd for LDG. I don't even own one, but several hams I know have them, and I used them, and love them. If I needed one, this is the brand I would buy.
K0BG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2010, 04:34:59 PM »

Actually, this is the one you want: http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/1/57/1

It comes with a cable for the 857, which automates the tuning function as I mentioned above. It sells for $250 which is in line with the FC-40. But....

if you're feeding a long wire, inverted L, or other single line feed antenna, the FC-40 is the one you want. Just make sure there is an adequate ground plane connected to the ground side of the ATU.

KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2010, 05:31:12 PM »

Definitely the LDG YT-100.  I have used mine with my FT-100D and also with an FT-897D and an FT-857D with excellent results

http://www.ldgelectronics.com/c/252/products/1/52/1
G8JNJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2010, 04:33:18 AM »

Hi,

If you want a good auto-tuner that is small and can be used for a variety of purposes, my vote is also for the LDG Z11Pro.

It has a wider impedance matching range than most of the other LDG models that are designed to go with specific radios. It sits nicely on top of the FT857 and you can fit batteries inside the tuner if you wish to use it for portable operation.

If you are looking for a good cheap random wire auto-tuner the CG-3000 also does a good job for the price.

I have used two of both the LDG Z11 Pro's and CG-3000's for several years without any problems.

Regards,

Martin - G8JNJ

www.g8jnj.webs.com

G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 07:14:08 AM »

Im also looking for an autotuner for use with an FT-857, but my radio is boot (trunk) mounted. Having to press a  button on the ATU is a no go, without modifying the tuner for a remote button!

Does anyone know of a tuner that will be operated by the radios own TUNE control? Other than the FC-30, which doesnt have a wide enough range.

VA7CPC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:17:06 PM »

My LDG Z-11 Pro lives in my attic -- no button-presses needed.  It's powered with AA batteries, but if it's in your trunk, 12v DC battery power (from the rig's power supply) would be better.

There are several different operating modes for the auto-tuner, and one of them is "full-auto" -- tune whenever there's RF power.

You can generate a few watts of power in one of these ways:

. . . the rig has a setting that measures SWR -- that will usually put out 20 watts or so,
. . .     enough to trigger the auto-tuner, not enough to damage the rig in a mis-tuned situation.

. . . Put the rig in AM mode and key the mic and _don't talk_.  In modern SSB rigs (you have one),
. . . .AM power is limited to about 20 watts of carrier.

. . . if you're using SSB, key the mic and say "aaaaaaah" softly -- watch the SWR meter until you get a match.

. . . if the FT-857 has an easy way to reduce RF power, reduce power to 20 watts, and key the mike (or the key).

Charles
STAYVERTICAL

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2012, 02:02:12 PM »

Hi,

I have been using the FC40 with my FT897D for many years, and I can recommend it as a robust, reliable workhorse remote ATU.
Some guys have been critical of this tuner for not matching every bit of wire on every band, but if you are reasonable in your expectations it will do a great job.

It matches a much greater range than a typical "coax" in-shack tuner since these tuners typically are made to only match a 3:1 SWR or less - really just a "fine tuning" type of application.
In any case, in-shack tuners matching high swr antenna/feedlines are generally an inefficient solution, with large feedline losses.

The idea is that your feedline should be running the lowest swr possible, since feedline loss increases with higher SWR.
This means matching your feedline at the antenna, not the transceiver.
A remote ATU is what makes this possible with minimum fuss.

The main reason not to use an FC40 is that it needs the CAT port on the FT857/897 to run, since it takes its power and data from this port. So if you are intending to use the CAT port, the FC40 will be a problem.

Other than that, the FC40 is a dream to use with the FT857/FT897 - just press the tune button on the transceiver and you are done.
Also, the FC40 is powered from the transceiver, so no external psu is required.
It comes with a 5 metre long cable, which is not very long, but I have used cat5 network cable to make an "extension" cable so that it now has a 15 metre reach.
If you look at my post on the FC40 eham review section you will see how I did this.

Almost any ATU (especially remote ATU's) will do a good job these days - it really depends on how you operate, and what sort of antenna's you intend to use.
I do a lot of experimenting with antennas, and so don't want to be bothered with elaborate matching systems, so the FC40 atu means that I can put up my antenna, and push the button on the FT897 - matching solved.

In summary, the FC40 is the most convenient solution, since it is made to interface seamlessly with the FT857/FT897, but if you need the CAT port for other things, such as radio control or linear control, it will be a problem.
Otherwise, it is a magic box which makes remote tuning an antenna a trivial exercise.

Good luck and 73s
K3SF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:57 PM »

my setup for mobil was ft-857 with ldg at-110pro with Hustler antenna with triband adapter and resonators.

the way the setup worked was as follows

1. set at-100pro to autotunemode
2. set ft-857 ssb mode
3. key mike and push one of the Touchtone buttons on the mike
        ( this put out 20 watts constant power for the at-100)
4.most of the time the at-100pro would instantly tune since it remembers what settings work for each band and freq in a band..

my recommendation is an LDG autotuner...that is NOT radio specific (like the at-100pr0, at-200pro ) cause you can use it with any other radio when you decide on getting different radio.. this approach adds flexibility in any future radio choices....

my 2 cents which has been greatly reduced in value due to inflation

paul k3sf
G7MRV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2012, 02:00:02 PM »

Thanks for the hints, I'll check those unit out

Ive emailed LDG (yet again), lets see if they can be bothered to reply this time

N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2012, 10:56:37 AM »

if you are running a tf 857 mobile  get a ATAS 120 screwdriver antenna, which will autotune from 2m /440 mhz up to 40 meters with the push of a button.  set yo the menu for the ATAS and no tuner is needed, the antenn does the tuning.  It may not be the best antenna in the world, but it sure is convienent. about 300 bucks brand new.
LB5KE

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2012, 04:11:39 AM »

What about the yaesu fc-30 ?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: