Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ft Wayne Swapfest and Dayton Hamvention  (Read 3812 times)
N8DV

Ignore
« on: November 14, 2010, 09:14:50 AM »

I just arrived home from the Ft.Wayne Swapfest. It was my first time attending. The first difference between Ft.Wayne's and the Hamvention is the venue. What a difference! Hara Arena can't even come close to the Allen County Memorial Coliseum. I can't post a photo of the coliseum, so I will post photo's on my blog at http://fredspointofview.wordpress.com . Also the acres of parking! Yes, the coliseum does charge for parking, it was $4.00. I will also post photos of the interior and the exhibition hall. The bathrooms were excellent and conveniently located. Talking to some of the club members, they say that the attendance has been down the past couple of years. The hall would have been wall to wall. There wasn't a trunk sales, instead everything was inside. I think Hara Arena is on it's last legs. If weren't for the Hamvention, I think the facility would close down. There is a nice Airport Expo center in Vandalia, Ohio that would be a better venue. Spaced through out the exhibition hall, were chairs for us old timers to rest our weary bones. Both Icom and Yaesu had small displays. There was one major retailer, R and L from Hamilton, Ohio. There was a Ringling Brothers circus also going on in the area. Traffic was not a problem either going in or exiting the venue. Finally, the coliseum had two other exhibition halls that could handle 5,000 people each. Sooo, with three halls open they could conceivably handle 15,000 people. Anyway, I was very much impressed and pleased. Lord willing, I will attend next year's swapfest.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 02:00:42 PM by Fred Regan » Logged
N9MXY

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »

Ft. Wayne has always been a good Hamfest, I too think Dayton needs to change venue or die of "old age"
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: